Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I first discovered that darkstar I stayed up until 4 am with it on repeat..... That was a memorable night.....

And you were on how many micrograms?? :monkey

Anyone catching the Phil tour this fall?

I'll be catching P&F at the Fillmore one night and Red Rocks the next in a few weeks.

re: Shakedown Street- I get much pleasure out of the out-takes from the studio sessions. One of my favorite "Good Lovin's" ever featuring Lowell George (who produced the album) singing as the highlight.

You decide:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...5669748662FDF42

I'll be catching P&F at the Fillmore one night and Red Rocks the next in a few weeks.

Phil at Red Rocks..man you get all the good stuff out there. :yes

I'll be the first one to admit that there's plenty of Dead material out there I don't like, but I really like a lot of the Shakedown Street album. There's sort of an eerie, icy quality to Jerry's vocals (especially on Fire on the Mountain) that I find very effective for the songs.

Also, I have yet to hear him top his studio vocal performances in live incarnations of those songs ... though it is fair to say that the long live jams on Scarlet -> Fire and Shakedown are much more interesting than what's on the studio versions.

best starting point is a live show

take your pick

i'm partial to

May 8, 1977, Barton Hall

Sept. 3, 1977, Englishtown

March 26, 1973, Baltimore

Aug. 27, 1972, Old Renaissance Faire Grounds

Jan 2, 1972, Winterland

April 25, 1971, Fillmore East

May 17, 1977, University of Alabama

May 11, 1972, Rotterdam

but almost anything from 1972 or 1977 works

start out with the more song-oriented first sets and go from there

I think if he does he will see lyrical and melodic comparisons to himself and Jerry. Tweedy is one of the greatest living songwriters and a genuinely humble rock star. What a great person.

If you're looking at lyrical comparisons, chances it's not Jerry, unless you're comparing Jeff's songs to "Cream Puff War." :lol

I am going to listen to Wake of the Flood today.

unless you're comparing Jeff's songs to "Cream Puff War." :lol

...And what's wrong with Cream Puff War? :brow

As far as albums, I'll agree that I kind of like a lot of the stuff on Shakedown Street, and yet from that same time period I find Terrapin Station unlistenable.

best starting point is a live show

I tend to disagree with this.

Some of the studio stuff already mentioned in the beginning of the thread is the best place to start before hitting the live stuff, IMO. It's harder to truly appreciate the variations in the live stuff without a basis/benchmark that is the studio stuff. The enormity of the live material can be overwhelming and hitting on a clunker show/string of tunes can do a man in when testing it out. Plus, some of the studio stuff (arrangement-wise, etc.) is very good.

I go back to the album stuff seldomly these days, though. Putting on Wake of the Flood or Aoxomoxoa after a long absence from it is still enjoyable and JG's Cats Under The Stars is always a plus but for the most part I enjoy the choices of era from the live stuff to match my mood

...And what's wrong with Cream Puff War? :brow

Well, it doesn't really compare (lyrically) with much of the Robert Hunter stuff, does it? :) Nothing wrong with the song, it's fun, but it's the only Dead song I know that Jerry provided the lyrics for...just saying you can compare Jeff's and Jerry's musical styles all you want, but if you're comparing words, it's Jeff vs. Robert Hunter for the most part.

Question for the Dark Star lovers in the crowd - any thoughts on either:Dick's Picks, Vol. 16: Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA, 11/8/69orthe Fillmore West 1969 box set
DP 16: Might the be the last one officially released w/ T.C. in the band. Amazing segues from Star>O1>Star>UJB Jam>Star. A real 30 minute roller coaster ride. I kinda like the version from earlier in the week (11/2) better but that's just nitpicking. And then after this, it gets better, unbelievably! Stephen>Eleven>Caution>Feedback is just sick as hell.Fillmore Box: 4 takes on DS. You're well familiar with the first night, but imo the 2nd night is my favorite Pig-era show ever! The 2nd set is just incredible..if you're mind doesn't get totally blown you have no pulse.
Sept. 3, 1977, EnglishtownIf you're a Half-Step fan, the version here is as good as any ever done. Has a great, long NFA as well.
I tend to disagree with this.

Some of the studio stuff already mentioned in the beginning of the thread is the best place to start before hitting the live stuff, IMO. It's harder to truly appreciate the variations in the live stuff without a basis/benchmark that is the studio stuff. The enormity of the live material can be overwhelming and hitting on a clunker show/string of tunes can do a man in when testing it out. Plus, some of the studio stuff (arrangement-wise, etc.) is very good.

maybe. i just think if you give somebody the right first set, they'll be fine. if they're getting a 40-minute Dark Star, forget it. But if you just give them a sweet selection of songs -- Bertha, Cumberland Blues, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, Brown-Eyed Women, I Know you Rider, Ramble on Rose, China Cat/Rider, Sugaree and maybe a manageable Eyes, they'll be hooked. I think the best route into the Dead is by showing that more than anything, they wrote incredible songs. And then you go from there and build outward. maybe a nice 1970 (Sept. 20) acoustic show?

Sept. 3, 1977, Englishtown

i reckon it's a dick's pix & a good one

Hey there. I have heard so much about the Grateful Dead. So I looked up their albums. But theres a lot of albums! What would the 3 to 5 best albums be to introduce a newbie to them? Any input would be much appreciated.

Hello, this is my first time on Wilco's forum. I cannot tell you how glad I am to see some interest in the Grateful Dead, as I am a lifelong deadhead. Though Jeff Tweedy may possess the greatest voice alive, Jerry Garcia definitely gets my vote for the greates dead, as I'm sure you will eventually agree. As far as albums go, it's very difficult to say. When I was in high school, the lyrics on "American Beauty" saved me numerous times. However, your best bet would be to allow me to make you a compilation. As it is the Dead, I would make it today and mail it tomorrow...for free, of course. If you'd like, I would be more than happy to help you in this manner.

On a different note, I have never seen Wilco and the presale for the Minneapolis show is tomorrow morning. Do you know how I could acquire the password? I am DYING to see them live and would love good seats. Thanks.

-waggs

re: Shakedown Street- I get much pleasure out of the out-takes from the studio sessions. One of my favorite "Good Lovin's" ever featuring Lowell George (who produced the album) singing as the highlight.

You decide:

All 3 nights in Chicago! Can't wait! You?

However, your best bet would be to allow me to make you a compilation. As it is the Dead, I would make it today and mail it tomorrow...for free, of course. If you'd like, I would be more than happy to help you in this manner.

-waggs

Welcome to the board! :cheers When I read your statement there it made me smile...just the kind of thing that made the band such a wonderful thing to have been able to experience. :thumbup

All 3 nights in Chicago! Can't wait! You?

Same here!

Unless i hear not so great things then maybe a ticket might be sold. Either way I'm pumped. I saw 6 shows last summer and they were all great. I'm just not to sure about this jackie greene character. He seems decent enough but I don't know if he is the "right" kind of guitar player. Time shall tell!

As for acoustic at red rocks.

I ENVY YOUR ASS!

maybe. i just think if you give somebody the right first set, they'll be fine. if they're getting a 40-minute Dark Star, forget it. But if you just give them a sweet selection of songs -- Bertha, Cumberland Blues, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, Brown-Eyed Women, I Know you Rider, Ramble on Rose, China Cat/Rider, Sugaree and maybe a manageable Eyes, they'll be hooked. I think the best route into the Dead is by showing that more than anything, they wrote incredible songs. And then you go from there and build outward. maybe a nice 1970 (Sept. 20) acoustic show?

i reckon it's a dick's pix & a good one

I have to get it someday.

You decide:

Good stuff! is that Jerry on a Pedal Steel low in the mix? Goudchaux has at it on the keys.

My favorite

I saw Tom Constanten @ Kinetic Playground after the 1st night of Widespread Panic in July. Small place, but pretty cool. T.C. is one strange, yet talented dude.

Same here!Unless i hear not so great things then maybe a ticket might be sold. Either way I'm pumped. I saw 6 shows last summer and they were all great. I'm just not to sure about this jackie greene character. He seems decent enough but I don't know if he is the "right" kind of guitar player. Time shall tell!As for acoustic at red rocks.I ENVY YOUR ASS!
Those shows are going to fuckin' ROCK dude! With Steve from Particle on the keys...wOw, man! You listen to Particle at all?I'm not going to Red Rocks though...someone else.
Welcome to the board! :cheers When I read your statement there it made me smile...just the kind of thing that made the band such a wonderful thing to have been able to experience. :thumbup

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile" Glad to make you smile, friend. And by the way, "AMEN" to your statement about the "Playin'" jams from fall '73. Great tour, very intimate. Only tour with the line-up of Jerry, Bob, Phil, Bill, and Keith. (Donna was pregnant and Pigpen had died.) Dick's Picks 14...my birthday show...12.2.73...phenomenol. Jerry makes his guitar sound like a baby on crack.