Michael Vick indicted

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he and his cronies were fighting, say, rats, or snakes and mongooses (mongeese?) rather than dogs, which have become a quasi-child/family member for many middle class, urban/suburban professional types, would anyone give a shit? I agree that all this is pretty despicable, but there are and have been far worse people in the league who didn't merit this amount of scorn. See Leonard Little, and any of the dozens upon dozens of wife/girlfriend beaters over the years.

Granted, his being an elite player accounts for part of the high level of publicity, but still...it doesn't add up to me.

anyone else annoyed that he is going to get a mere 12-18 months of jail time based on his plea agreement.

i guess one can only hope the state goes after him and there's a more severe punishment than what the feds worked up.

If he and his cronies were fighting, say, rats, or snakes and mongooses (mongeese?) rather than dogs, which have become a quasi-child/family member for many middle class, urban/suburban professional types, would anyone give a shit? I agree that all this is pretty despicable, but there are and have been far worse people in the league who didn't merit this amount of scorn. See Leonard Little, and any of the dozens upon dozens of wife/girlfriend beaters over the years.

Granted, his being an elite player accounts for part of the high level of publicity, but still...it doesn't add up to me.

That's some really bad logic.

I actually think the plea agreement is fair. One to one-and-a-half years in jail is a good amount of time. Certainly enough time to perhaps change a person's outlook on life and have them improve on themselves and think about their crime(s) in a beneficial light.

I realize it's a felony, but he will be serving time accordingly, plus have a felony record to follow him around the rest of his life. Seems just to me.

Certainly enough time to perhaps change a person's outlook on life and have them improve on themselves and think about their crime(s) in a beneficial light.

I'd normally agree w/this, except considering the guy's position in life and everything he jeopardized with these heinous actions. I dunno.

Hope the judge throws the book at the man.

Certainly enough time to perhaps change a person's outlook on life and have them improve on themselves and think about their crime(s) in a beneficial light.

IMO, when someone participates in the torture and brutal killing of animals, there is something wrong with them -- something that cannot be fixed. This is a mental illness. I think it's like trying to have someone "cured" of schizophrenia my spending 6 months in the mental hospital. "Oh, they've been rehabilitated" -- I think not.

Maybe he should have pleaded insanity, then? I wonder if counseling is part of the plea. Either way, I bet he won't be torturing animals when he gets out- which is a key to prison time- a deterrent for future violations.

Maybe he should have pleaded insanity, then?

it's going to be the falcons pleading insanity now, since Joey Harrington will be leading them.

What an idiot.

That's some really bad logic.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I did not, and am not saying that this isn't a big deal, or that no one should care. It is a big deal, and he's going to do federal time for it, lose tens of millions of dollars in lost income, and very likely lose his career. Not exactly a slap on the wrist. What I am saying is that it's undeniable that the popularity of dogs in modern America is contributing to the level of widespread public hatred toward this man. I'm saying that it's interesting that this story crossed over from being an ESPN, sports section of your local newspaper of choice type story to getting play on Nancy Grace, CNN, etc. None of the serious domestic violence cases that I can recall over recent years crossed over like this story has. That's what troubles me, that the American public seems to be more bent over this story than over public accounts of pro athletes beating the hell out of their sig others.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I did not, and am not saying that this isn't a big deal, or that no one should care. It is a big deal, and he's going to do federal time for it, lose tens of millions of dollars in lost income, and very likely lose his career. Not exactly a slap on the wrist. What I am saying is that it's undeniable that the popularity of dogs in modern America is contributing to the level of widespread public hatred toward this man. I'm saying that it's interesting that this story crossed over from being an ESPN, sports section of your local newspaper of choice type story to getting play on Nancy Grace, CNN, etc. None of the serious domestic violence cases that I can recall over recent years crossed over like this story has. That's what troubles me, that the American public seems to be more bent over this story than over public accounts of pro athletes beating the hell out of their sig others.

It's possible the media doesn't overexpose wife beating stories out of respect for the privacy of the human victims of spousal abuse. Dogs don't have privacy rights, so the media can have a field day. Also, it's worth noting that this is at least the third time Vick has acted like a dipshit (flipping off the fans) and/or committed a crime (bringing marijuana into an airport).

I said your logic is flawed because it seemed like you were saying it makes no sense to prosecute Vick because some accused wife beaters weren't punished.

So true. I hope that he never gets a chance to play again. I am a dog owner, and am completely blow away by the mentality one must have to be able to drown, electrocute, and hand, well, any animal. I feel bad when I have to smash a fly in the house, how could he sleep after killing dogs that he'd been starving and fighting. Creep.

~Cally~

Looking to get ahead. You can with an Online Business Degree.

Ooooohhhh...."Cally" you're a day short with the online business bullshit. I just got a better offer from Kaplan U. through an unsolicited email yesterday. If it doesn't work out for me, you better believe I'll be in touch. I've got a good feeling you'll be around these parts for a long time.

So true. I hope that he never gets a chance to play again. I am a dog owner, and am completely blow away by the mentality one must have to be able to drown, electrocute, and hand, well, any animal. I feel bad when I have to smash a fly in the house, how could he sleep after killing dogs that he'd been starving and fighting. Creep.

~Cally~

Looking to get ahead. You can with an Online Business Degree.

Lose that URL Cally or you'll be e-tarred and feathered faster than Michael Vick can assemble a rape stand.

I was gonna say the same thing a few minutes ago but I knew y'all wouldn't let me down.