• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31yzyFsWYWL._AA170_.jpg

Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different

Shelagh McDonald, Album (1970)

I've been liking your recent choices in music! Mellow Candle, too. :thumbup

By the way, if you haven't got her seond album (Stargazer) you should get it, I think it's a better album and you even get some Richard Thompson on guitar (but then nearly every single good British folk album in the 1970s did)

NP.

51MRC47M4JL._AA240_.jpg

I've been liking your recent choices in music! Mellow Candle, too. :thumbup

By the way, if you haven't got her seond album (Stargazer) you should get it, I think it's a better album and you even get some Richard Thompson on guitar (but then nearly every single good British folk album in the 1970s did)

I have Stargazer since I purchased the 2 CDs anthology. :yes

That's great Mellow Candle, isn't it? I'm getting into all the British Folk and folk-rock movement currently. I'm also anticipating Mr Fox, and some Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, etc, in the mail.

I liked everything so far, with a weakness for Shirley Collins.

I have Stargazer since I purchased the 2 CDs anthology. :yes

That's great Mellow Candle, isn't it? I'm getting into all the British Folk and folk-rock movement currently. I'm also anticipating Mr Fox, and some Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, etc, in the mail.

I liked everything so far, with a weakness for Shirley Collins.

Mellow Candle were a great band - shame they only really made one proper album. Steeleye Span can be a little hit and miss (more miss than hit at time actually), but all the others you mentioned are great. I don't know if you've got any Trees, Fotheringay, Springuns, Pentangle, or early Strawbs, but if not, you'd like all of those too I'd imagine (there are loads more bands and solo artists, but they are all good for starters).

NP.

61A4QYYVMEL._AA240_.jpg

I don't know if you've got any Trees, Fotheringay, Springuns, Pentangle, or early Strawbs, but if not, you'd like all of those too I'd imagine (there are loads more bands and solo artists, but they are all good for starters).

I started with this: Simply Folk

and then purchased a lot of stuff (only Pentangle from what you mention just above, but a lot of other artists and bands)

The Strawbs tend more to prog, don't they?

The Strawbs tend more to prog, don't they?

Well, kind of I guess (Rick Wakeman was in the band for a while in their early career, perhaps explaining that), but then most of those Folk Rock bands cross into progressive rock too. From the Witchwood & Grave New World are worth getting, but only start getting this stuff after you've bought or downloaded Trees - On The Shore, Trees - The Garden of Jane Delawney, Fotheringay - Fotheringay & Sandy Denny - The North Star Grassman and the Ravens, and the first 4 or 5 Fairport Convention albums, cos all those are really the best of the bunch.

NP. Abbey Road