Now playing August 2007

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5172TCD0TJL._AA240_.jpg

There's something about the sound of this guys records that I've always dug.

Well, I do. I think it's just as essential as the music itself. You can't just indulge on the music and throw some crappy words like "letter from an occupant" on top of it. Ick. Words also form harmony, and if you throw something that's awful on top of it, you're ruining the juxtaposition of the English and the Maths.

I actively resist imposing such black-and-white principles upon art; strict adherence to preconceived notions too often leads us to miss what's truly happening in an artwork, or miss what's most vital about it.

Sometimes a song is great for its music, sometimes for its lyrics, and sometimes for both--but a work that finds harmony between the two is not automatically better than the others, because art isn't about piling up points, or about filling out a rubric.

I actively resist imposing such black-and-white principles upon art; strict adherence to preconceived notions too often leads us to miss what's truly happening in an artwork, or miss what's most vital about it.

Sometimes a song is great for its music, sometimes for its lyrics, and sometimes for both--but a work that finds harmony between the two is not automatically better than the others, because art isn't about piling up points, or about filling out a rubric.

Well if you wanted to focus on strictly the lyrics or the music, then choose to do so. If the artist wanted to focus on the melody, but they couldn't come up with excellent lyrics, then leave the lyrics behind, and vice versa. It's not as black and white as it sounds. But don't half-ass a job because the words and music are a part of a whole.

61hPXtl%20faL._AA240_.jpg

they're streaming the album on myspace, if anyone's still not heard it.

The whole of Caribou's Andorra was also being streamed on his myspace too. Don't know whether it still is though. Worth a cheeky free listen for the uninitiated at least.

NP: vetiver_gone.jpg