Now playing August 2007

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but who are they?

Man Man is a band from Philadelphia. And just sometimes, Wikipedia is reliable. I highly recommend Six Demon Bag, which definitely made top 3 of my 2006 list. But what the hell do I know about music?

Also, NPR has a stream of one of their live shows.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Man Man is a band from Philadelphia. And just sometimes, Wikipedia is reliable. I highly recommend Six Demon Bag, which definitely made top 3 of my 2006 list. But what the hell do I know about music?

Also, NPR has a stream of one of their live shows.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Hey if you enjoy them, that is all that counts

PublicEnemyItTakesaNationofMillionstoHoldUsBack.jpg

The best hip/hop-rap album of all time? I know that's an argument that has no real answer, but after 20 years of this record, I have to say, it's gotta be in the top 5 right? Maybe that's an obvious statement, this is all just hangover from a conversation last night. Another person heavily defended other classics, 3 ft. High, Paul's B., you know the list.

I argued . . . Dude, to this point in my musical life in east Texas, I was limited to my Dad's 8-tracks, and vinyl, which was great, but all kind of stopped around 77' give or take, Rap was my punk rock, I was limited in many regards to whatever Wal-Mart stocked, but this was all prior or just around the parental advisory labels, and PE walked right on in, this along with L.L. Cool J's "Radio" & "B.A.D.", Eazy-E's "Eazy Does It", "License to Ill", my first 12" of Doug E. Fresh's "The SHow" bside - La Di Da Di, and "King of Rock" all stopped me in my tracks, and woke me up so to speak. Classic rock was easy, 80's MTV was always around, but this I had to seek out, treasure hunt if you will, and the pay off was always HUGE. I felt like I had discovered something no one else knew about, and after "Yo, Bum Rush the Show" which at that point I never thought it would get better than "MY UZi weighs a ton" PE's second album dropped, and DISCO! This was all I listened to, non-stop. memorizing every lyric, beat & detail and to this day I can put this on, and it's as fresh as it ever was. I'm glad I grew up breakdancing in my garage, dreaming I was an S1-W, and after a hiatus from this album, I put it on and felt in many regards it is the heavy weight champ, from Chuck to Flavor (in his prime), what a wild group. I heard Chuck & Professor Grif on Steven Jones Jukebox yesterday, and they played a track from their new album, as much as I always hope for the best, it wasn't that great. But, in many ways they've done enough. So this is all just long-winded, me babling about yesterday and the bandanas, neon punk gloves, africa symbols around my neck, middle finger to the law gripping my balls. To my parents credit, they embraced this music, never once frowned upon me listening to it. Once I had a bootleg of the first 2 Live crew album, I was playing it for a friend, my mom walked in, I turned it off, and this jackass tells my mom, she should hear what we were listening to. Dude, WTF? I had to play We Want Some P**** for my mom, she ejected the tape, pulled it all out and threw it away. From that point on, the Parental Advisory labels were my worst enemy, if tapes had that, I couldn't buy, so I would sneak a black sharpie, and I use to run off at the mall, buy a tape, open it, mark it out and then mom would ask what I bought and I would say, look it's CLEAN. Whatever, if you've read this far, thank you for your support, of my nostalgia, and my important posts. Long Live P.E.