Wilco takes requests

Call me a skeptic, but I call BS when bands call for requests. Would they really play anything off of AM thats not Passenger Side or Too Far Apart, or any odds and ends off of either Mermaid Ave's? Probably not. I like the interactive aspect, but REM did the same thing in 2003, and every night was more or less the same. I saw several consecutive shows and they started the same and ended the same. I may be pleasantly surprised, but I'd expect mostly YHF, AGIB and SBS content. But anymore, I find that when bands play something you really want to here, it tends to mean more rather than hearing it every night. So I was thrilled to hear the rarities both nights in Denver.

i dunno, jeff played the requests we gave in line at the Vic theater show.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the smaller the group of people making the requests, the more likely you are to get rarities (check out the setlists from some of the Living Room Shows). But when you open it up to the whole world, people who don't see Wilco on a regular basis, or who haven't ever seen them live, are more likely than the "hardcore" fans to think along the lines of "I'd really love to hear Shot in the Arm". So if they just take the songs with the highest total number of votes, you might end up with a pretty bland setlist.

I'm with luke79 on this one. Not that it isn't a nice gesture to try and make the fans feel more included in the show, but it's just a request form, right? They didn't say they'd actually play any of the requests now did they? And no "Banter" option? WTF!

Edie? Do you have any comment?

:shifty

I was on there last night -- what a great idea. I suggested they put the ones they want to play on a big wheel of fortune a la Elvis Costello back in the day.

I would think that they will cut this off by say Friday, then do some rehearsing. I imagine the soundchecks over the next few shows might give an indication of what they are thinking.

Or this is just a big fat joke and they will play what the F they want :)

I think the smaller the group of people making the requests, the more likely you are to get rarities (check out the setlists from some of the Living Room Shows). But when you open it up to the whole world, people who don't see Wilco on a regular basis, or who haven't ever seen them live, are more likely than the "hardcore" fans to think along the lines of "I'd really love to hear Shot in the Arm". So if they just take the songs with the highest total number of votes, you might end up with a pretty bland setlist.

I think that is why they asked for the reason why you picked a song, to see if a person writes, "because it's a good song" or something more in dept. I think people are getting way too picky about the songs selection here, we should be grateful they are doing something like this.

Back to point--

I would love an Ashes of American Flags twenty minute balls out solo session from everyone in the band on their respected insturments a la Dave Matthews Style. Not that Dave Matthews holds a candle to Jeff Tweedy artistically, but point being, I do love when Wilco goes jam band for a moment or few.