Wilco Vs. The Shins

They rawked it in Atlanta last week!

Not the most demonstrative bunch on stage, but they were good when I saw them at the old Ritz in NYC a couple of years ago.

yeah, but Wilco isn't credited in the commercial, nor have they changed Natalie Portman's life.
True. But the VW commercial with "Pink Moon" launched a surge in interest in Nick Drake whenever that was (I think late-90s); he was similarly uncredited. I'm sure there have been some SBS sales that came out of the commercials -- "the Thanks I Get" really jumps out at you, I think I would've googled the hook if I didn't already own the album.

I was trying to make the point that p'shawing the Shins because they did get a good setup from that movie is unfair... The Shins sell albums because people like their music, not because they got on a soundtrack for a mediocre movie.

i'm a huge Shins fan, but i saw them in '05 and i thought that they sucked. anyway, i heard they were better on the Wincing tour, but the first time really was enough for me, i think....

Wilco on the other hand...well, i've seen them three times (and Tweedy solo once) and it's always been fantastic.

-justin

I have a feeling in 10 years Wilco will still be around, and be as relevant to as many people as they are today. Then when you mention the Shins people will glare at you with a confused look. :huh The Shins just seem like more of a 1 hit wonder type of band to me. Just my opinion though.

:guitar

all of The Shins albums are fantastic, but they aren't as important as Wilco. so what? all three of their records are all superb listening experiences all the way through.

-justin

I really like your work on Scrubs, Zach. :rolleyes

i saw the shins in concert last night at merrieweather, right on the heels of seeing wilco in charlottesville. we all know wilco is the stronger band, tighter, better sound, etc. i'm not surprised the shins have sold more albums than wilco, but wilco sells more concert tickets. when i saw wilco at merriweather, it was near close to being sold out. you couldn't see an empty seat and the lawn was packed. the shins had a lot of empty seats last night. there was an empty row of seats in front of me the entire night, when i left (during the last song) half-the venue was empty, including the lawn. so, the shins sell more albums, wilco more concert tickets, i think that means wilco (the band) makes more money than the shins, but the shins' record label makes more money than wilco's label.

on a side note, i've seen wilco many many times and i never leave the concert with my ears ringing and never have a gripe about the sound. you can hear everything, if pat picks up a tamborine, you can hear the tamborine. the shins should learn a thing or two about sound and subtlety. they cranked it all the way up to the point of sounding bad and you couldn't hear the tamborine or the glowing bells (Glenn should get some of those for their campiness). my ears were not happy. i was not happy. wilco's sound at merriweather was much better, so it can't all be blamed on the venue. the shins are fun though, but comparing them to wilco, apples and oranges.

Just for the record, I've never understood the phrase "it's like apples and oranges." Why can't you compare apples and oranges. They are both fruit, they both have a skin, they both are sweet, they both grow on trees, they both have to be ripe in order to taste good.

Just for the record, I've never understood the phrase "it's like apples and oranges." Why can't you compare apples and oranges. They are both fruit, they both have a skin, they both are sweet, they both grow on trees, they both have to be ripe in order to taste good.

but they are still completely different. one drips down your chin and requires a good peeling before you can eat it, has seeds to avoid. the other goes well with peanutbutter and can be chewy and mealy if not ripe. you eat one when you start feeling a cold coming on, you eat the other to keep a doctor way. it perfectly makes sense. :)

I think the Shins are a pretty good stuio band. Live they are shoe-gazing, mopey hipsters as are most of the crowd (ha ha).

Love both bands - but Wilco win hands down on stage, they are such a 'live' band now that I just wish they'd record the next album live (new songs) and release it like that. In fact, I can't listen to the studio version of SBS now , nor even watch the accompanying DVD in the loft without thinking how flat they are compared to the stage recordings I have.

Shins have released some lovely indie tunes but don't have as much presence on stage.

Someone I know referred to SBS as 'dad-rock' the other day, a term I find very derogatory, but if SBS was the first thing you'd ever heard of Wilco you might agree. My missus called it 'lift music' its so inoffensive and in that respect I can see her point. The Shins on the other hand could never be labelled 'dad-rock'. Much more indie outsiders who have taken an accidental step towards the mainstream.

There were a couple of mopey moments at the Atlanta show as far as the Shins are concerned, but they did start to rawk toward the last half, and their cover of Breathe was awesome!

However, the Shins show this year was good, but the Wilco show was life-altering. Maybe it was because the Shins were not in the pouring rain, or it could be that I finally got to see Wilco this summer after about 8 years of wanting to without the chance or the funds when they came around.