Wilco Vs. The Shins

So I was just on The Shins website, reading over their history a little because even though I love the band I didn't know that much about them, and I found a somewhat startling figure. Their new record, Wincing The Night Away, sold 118,000 copies it's first week, and so far has sold 800,000 copies. This is all according to the website. My first thought was "wow! I thought they were this little indie-band still," and my second thought was "I can't believe they've sold more records than SBS. Or any of Wilco's records for that matter" Don't get me wrong, I love The Shins, and comparing them to Wilco is kind of off-base because they play very different types of music, but I thought Wilco's SBS, and for that matter, YHF, would've sold more copies than Wincing The Night Away. Anyone else find this curious? Does anyone have the current sales figures for SBS?

Two words: Radio play. (And, yes, I love the Shins too and have all their albums. I can tell you that, at least in this area, their previous albums didn't get any radio play but Wincing sure did. Wilco, on the other hand, never plays on mainstream radio in this area, just on NPR---90.9 the bridge----and college radio stations-----90.7 kjhk out of ku).

I live in James' old house. When I went to look at it, he had a really small record collection- one shelf on a tiny bookcase, and just a guitar laying on the floor in front of it. He also left pubes in the bath tub.

The place where you get kicked if I don't like you.
:lol
He also left pubes in the bath tub.
:yucky
You'd think SBS would get a similar benefit from the V-dub commercials, though. Certainly more people have heard those commercials than listened to the GS soundtrack.

yeah, but Wilco isn't credited in the commercial, nor have they changed Natalie Portman's life.