Hot Stove League '07-'08

I can't see how A-Rod would end up the Mets. Would they be getting rid of Wright or Reyes? Or having one of them change positions?

Wright has offered in the past to move to 1B, so it could work... I agree, though, I dont see it happening.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how they'd end the relationship, but the Mets would find a way to move Delgado if they had a chance to move Wright to 1B to accommodate the acquisition of ARod. I don't think it'll happen, but imagine that infield: Wright/?(Castillo? Eckstein?)/Reyes/ARod... and with Posada at catcher (just kidding maybe) Seriously, I don't think Moreno will let ARod go to any team besides his Angels.

The World Series ended less than 12 hours ago, and we've got the hot stove loaded up and lit! I love it!!

I'm not suggesting he's headed towards the Mets, but I think his options (other team's options) are limited considering his contract. That contract (along with other A-Rod factors) may well be an albatross even if he is a gifted player.

I've gotta say that the timing of Boras releasing the A-Rod news is pretty damn weak, too. Couldn't he have waited until today?

I've been digging around the online rumor sites. Here are some other interesting stories for this off-season.

The Indians are trying to trade for an outfielder, and apparently they have a decent chance of getting Jason Bay. He's coming off a disappointing season, but is still solid and will probably come back strong.

The Orioles may be looking to trade Miguel Tejada, and surprisingly Erik Bedard.

Tom Glavine likely to end up in Atlanta or Washington.

The Red Sox want to trade Coco Crisp. Likeliest place for him to end up is the White Sox.

The Twins seem to not be interested in bringing back Torii Hunter, so he'll be out on the market.

Dusty Baker wants the Reds to persue (no joke) both Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.

The Red Sox want to trade Coco Crisp. Likeliest place for him to end up is the White Sox.

The Twins seem to not be interested in bringing back Torii Hunter, so he'll be out on the market.

I was just thinking last night that Crisp might end up on the White Sox. I'm still waiting for Brian Anderson to learn to hit. :stunned

Great. So the White Sox would ditch one non-hitting center fielder for another? :ermm

I've heard talk of Torii Hunter coming to the White Sox ... he's 32, so he's not quite over the hill yet.

A Rod played asome gold glove third, but does he want to go back to SS ?

Torre to the Dodgers would fit, but not sure A Rod & torre really get along.

Didn't torre bat Alex 8th in last years playoffs.

just what the reds need 2 more sore armed pitchers.

Tejada to the angels would be better than them shelling it out for A Rod.

Mets need pitching, and nothing more

Great. So the White Sox would ditch one non-hitting center fielder for another? :ermm

I've heard talk of Torii Hunter coming to the White Sox ... he's 32, so he's not quite over the hill yet.

That's painting with a broad brush. Crisp's career OPS is .735 or thereabouts. That's a little below average for a centerfielder. He's also one of the best defensive CFers in the league. Compare that with Owens' career .639 OPS/Anderson's .632 and that's a definite upgrade. Owens and Crisp are pretty close in age, too.

Hunter's going to command more than he's worth. Something in the range of $15-20 million per.

you know, i suppose it is possible that boston would lighten him up, so to speak. did he have fun when he was with TX? or is he just not capable of fun?

I don't know but he seems to internalize and dwell on any negatives he gets from the press and the fans.

Despite the negative press he got in NY, he somehow managed to have one of the best years of his career. I wouldn't put too much stock in this thin skinned business.

He did have a great regular season. Daisuke Matsizaka had a better post-season in one game with a bat than A-Rod has had his last three post-seasons, though.

Reading some of his own quotes shows me that he really feels out of place in NY, and BOS is very similar in terms of being on the big stage with relentless press coverage, fan knowledge, expectations, scrutiny.,etc. I'm not saying he's too thin-skinned to perform well, but I think it will be a factor in where he ultimately ends up.

Mets need pitching, and nothing more

I would go ahead and disagree with this. Their offense is going to get one year older, Delgado's going to be awful again this year (probably worse than last year), and with the exception of Wright, their infield was amazingly average last season, even Reyes, who continues to be the most overrated player in the game.

Shouldn't we wait for the George Mitchell's list to be released to speculate on A-Rod's future?

I'd say the Red Sox golden boy (of the moment) Lowell is much more likely to be on that list than Arod.

The whole A-Rod being thin-skinned thing is just part of the narrative the media has written for him. He's never shown himself to be all that thin skinned. Despite the insane criticism against him, he has had exactly zero media blowups in his entire career. Seriously, where did this reputation for being thin skinned come from? It's completely fabricated. I cannot think of a single reason that people think he is thin skinned other than that they are constantly told that he is.

He did have a great regular season. Daisuke Matsizaka had a better post-season in one game with a bat than A-Rod has had his last three post-seasons, though.

Um, because he had a seeing-eye single? Are you somehow under the impression that A-rod didn't have any hits this post-season? He had like an .850 OPS or something, which isn't great, but it's more than decent.

I'd say the Red Sox golden boy (of the moment) Lowell is much more likely to be on that list than Arod.

I don't believe you - at most, you believe there is an equal possibility. But, any chance to diss the Red Sox! :cheers