Hot Stove League '07-'08

Dunn contract extension in Cincy for $13 m/1-yr.:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3088827

And Schilling "narrows" his teams-he'd-play-for list to 13 (Sox at top, of course):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3087824

Also, Met's re-up Moises Alou for $7.5 m.

And FWIW, Nate Silver's (Baseball Prospectus) take on A-Rod->Sox:

"Doing something drastic like going after Alex Rodriguez, on the other hand, is neither particularly defensible nor particularly likely. The Red Sox do well enough on the field, at the gate, and in player development that they have little reason to overpay for someone when there are palatable alternatives, and this is the one environment where I think concerns about A-Rod’s clubhouse and media distractions are tangible enough to weigh into your decision."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that the Tigers were also on the Schilling's list. If Rogers decides to retire, even he doesn't, I would be happy with Shilling in Detroit's rotation. If Rogers came back and Schilling signed, the Tigers rotation would look like this.

1. Verlander - Easily the ace of the staff

2. Bonderman - If healthy could be a #1 for a whole lot of teams in MLB

3. Schilling - Great #3 starter. Could be a number 2 for lot of teams.

4. Rogers - Once again health is the key for him. He never really got healthy after the blood clot in his throwing arm.

5. Robertson/Miller - Could be either. If Robertson isn't traded for bullpen help, he would be the coaching staffs choice so Miller could learn a bit in the minor leagues. Robertson is the perfect choice for a long man though. It seems every time he pitches he does well until the 5th inning and then he implodes.

Unfortunately, I don't think that they will go after Schilling unless Rogers decides to retire. Which means that, coupled with the trade of Jurjiens to Atlanta, Miller is the defunct 5th starter now. About the only person that would challenge him is Durbin.

I hate Curt Schilling, but yeah, he'd make the team better, so I'd have to learn to like him if the Tigers got him. I get the feeling that he's not really in their plans though.

I'd be really surprised if Robertson was back next year. Until the other day, I would have thought that Jair Jurrjens was going to be the number 5 starter, but seeing as he's gone, it probably means Miller will have it. I think Miller is going to be very good, but I'm not convinced that he's ready yet. Unless they sign someone new, I'm thinking they start the season with Durbin in the 5 slot, with Miller, Miner and Vasquez all getting shots at it at some point.

I keep forgetting to mention that when my nephew and I were watching game 7 of the ALCS, he told me he loves the Red Sox.

I keep forgetting to mention that when my nephew and I were watching game 7 of the ALCS, he told me he loves the Red Sox.

My kid wore his Yankee's Little League cap to school Monday, the day after the Sox clinched the WS.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21586470/

Bonds may boycott Hall of Fame over asterisk

If Hall displays HR ball with asterisk, slugger won't step inside Cooperstown

Barry Bonds said in an interview to be aired on Countdown with Keith Olbermann that he will boycott baseball's Hall of Fame if it decides to display his record-breaking home run ball with an asterisk.

The free-agent slugger told Jim Gray: "I don't think you can put an asterisk in the game of baseball and I don't think that the Hall of Fame can accept an asterisk in their Hall of Fame. You can't, you cannot give people the freedom, the right to alter history, you can't do it. There's no such thing as an asterisk in baseball."

Gray continued to grill the free-agent slugger. Below is the exchange:

Story continues below ?

advertisement

Gray: And if the Hall of Fame does accept that ball and display it?

Bonds: I will never be in the Hall of Fame. Never. I will never be in the Hall of Fame.

Gray: You mean you personally-

Bonds: Me personally.

Gray: ... or as a visitor or your artifacts or your enshrinement?

Bonds: I won't go. I won't be part of it, I won't be there, you can call me but I won't be there.

Gray: So your only thought process would be if that occurs then even if you are inducted to the Hall of Fame.

Bonds: Barry Bonds will not be there. (Laugh)

Gray: Is that subject being reconsidered or is it definite that if you are elected to the Hall of Fame there is no way you will be there?

Bonds: Like I said at this time I will not be there. That's my emotions now, that's how I feel now. When I decide to retire five years from now we'll see where they are at that moment. We'll see where they are at that time and maybe I'll reconsider. But its their position and where their position will be will be the determination of what my decision will be made at that time.

Bonds was also asked about his participation in baseball's steroids investigation headed by George Mitchell. He said he wouldn't answer any questions until the BALCO case was over.

Gray: Senator Mitchell is conducting his investigation, will you participate and answer his questions?

Bonds: Not as long as an ongoing BALCO case is going on, no, and I leave everything up to my lawyer.

Gray: it's been 15 months that the perjury charges are being looked at now by the grand jury, how much longer do you think this will go on?

Bonds: I don't know. I know it ends in January so a couple more months. But I haven't been keeping up with it. Not at all. I have nothing to hide, I have said that before and I will say it now and I will look you in the face, I have nothing to hide, nothing. So look all you want to.

Bonds, who is seeking a new team after 12 seasons with the San Francisco Giants, also said that he believes he can still contribute to a winner.

"I may hit two home runs so I can go home. I just think that I have a lot of game left. I think that I can help a team with a championship, and um, I also thought I was, I'm a hell of a part-time player too."

Bonds, who is seeking a new team after 12 seasons with the San Francisco Giants, also said that he believes he can still contribute to a winner.

That is the exact reason I cannot stand Bonds. Personally I could care less about the whole steroid thing. Do I think he did steroids and it contributed to at least some of his home runs? Yes. I also think that there were a lot of other people that are either in the HOF or on their way that used steroids also. I don't like Bonds because he thinks that he is bigger than the game. He thinks he can contribute, but only to a winner? He apparently thinks he is too good to help a struggling team. He should be grateful that he is has the opportunity to play a game for a living, a very comfortable living I might add, and stop acting like the world is conspiring against him. Sorry bout the rant, I had too much caffeine today.

Interesting... seems that the Red Sox haven't opened their season at home since at least 2003. The scheduling gods are probably factoring in the potential for winter-like weather. They've played down in Texas, in Tampa Bay, in Kansas City in previous years before having their home opener the 2nd week of the season. Didn't look, but I'd imagine that clubs like Cleveland, Detroit, Colorado, and at least one of the Chicago teams probably often open on the road, too (I know that with the Mets and Yanks one is at home when the other is on the road, is it the same for the Cubs & Pale Hose?)

I know that with the Mets and Yanks one is at home when the other is on the road, is it the same for the Cubs & Pale Hose?)

Nearly always, but there are occasional exceptions. I believe I remember a day many years ago on which I saw the Cubs in the afternoon, then jumped on the el and saw the White Sox that evening. :thumbup

So, it looks like Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis will both be shopped this offseason.

If they can get something like 3 or 4 prospects from the Dodgers for Miguel (I have a wishlist, and the Dodgers are at the top of it) and then get the catcher Clement from Seattle for Willis I would like it. I would like it even more if along with the CF (Kemp from LA, preferably), 2 SP (Billingsley, Kershaw), 3B (LaRoche), and C (Clement) that we could get for dealing those 2, we used the money and got creative with things and offered Arod 20 Million a year and some ownership stake in the team. That would make me think we were a favorite for the playoffs next year and for about 5 years after that.

we used the money and got creative with things and offered Arod 20 Million a year and some ownership stake in the team

Against MLB rules, if I recall correctly.