Hot Stove League '07-'08

What offers has A-rod received on the open market, though? None that I'm aware of. BOS currently has an unsigned 3B and there are other teams obviously interested in A-Rod.

I also don't see why Boras would plant this in the press. It makes him look like an idiot. Boras is many things, egomaniac among them, but he's not an idiot. I don't see him as planting this story as much as I could see it coming from inside the NYY brass.

I just don't see A-Rod changing his mind, canning his agent (as he surely would have to do if we are to believe the story), and accepting a pay-cut after declaring a few weeks ago how he wanted out of the organization by not even allowing the NYY a chance at discussing his future in NY.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't see why Boras would plant this in the press. It makes him look like an idiot. Boras is many things, egomaniac among them, but he's not an idiot. I don't see him as planting this story as much as I could see it coming from inside the NYY brass.

He would plant it because the one thing he wants/needs is a bidding war. With the Yanks out of the process that bidding war just doesnt happen on the same level. Making the other teams in the league think he could go back to the Yanks gets them to the table quicker.

The Yanks had better be careful here. They came out and said they would not negotiate with him and if they do and get burned, they will have egg on their face and will lose all credibility in future negotiations. This is a high stakes chess match at this point.

He would plant it because the one thing he wants/needs is a bidding war. With the Yanks out of the process that bidding war just doesnt happen on the same level. Making the other teams in the league think he could go back to the Yanks gets them to the table quicker.

I can agree that Boras very well may have misread the market for A-Rod, I just don't see him as reckless enough to plant this story. I also don't think the NYY are ever truly out of the picture when bidding wars are involved, A-Rod's sentiments on NY and all. In this regard, it's always possible he heads back to the NYY, I just don't think this would be a smart way to go about it for A-Rod or Boras. Who knows, though.

That article is pretty wacky. Not sure if it was a plant by Boras, if it was then it would mean the offer by the Yanks is not true and the facts can be easily disproven.

I really hope A-rod doesnt go back to the Yanks. Take a pay cut and play for a friendlier team. Just do some more endorsements if you want more money.

Another close one with the votes and, yes, Braun is a hell of a hitter. I just find that disregarding Braun's foibles on defense as well as Tulowitskis excellent skills from both sides of the plate is misfortunate.

I personally don't disregard Braun's poor defense, I just think that his offense is enough to make up for it.

Here's an article by BP's Joe Sheehan that states my point on the NL ROY more succinctly than I was able to:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6925

Official statement:

http://arod.mlb.com/players/rodriguez_alex...sp?story=111407

Looks like Boras gets tossed under the bus?

Apparently, Bernie Williams did the same thing in 1998. Just when it looked certain he was going to Boston or elsewhere, Bernie told Boras to screw off and went to Steinbrenner on his own to work out a deal to remain in NY.

Yeah, A-rod comes off looking a bit crazy in the whole thing, doesn't he? We'll have to wait and see what kind of $$ is offered, though. A-rod/Boras? might come out close to where they wanted to be originally. Not $350 m/10-yr close, but close.

not even close. Put me down for 240

Depends. Obviously a pay cut is going to happen (he's already forfeited $90 m. by opting out) and I'm assuming no offers from other teams matched what he/Boras thinks he can get from the NYY. I'm assuming he's looking for longevity in his contract, too.