Guest Jules
I'm actually glad to see the show refuse to milk the old will-they-or-won't-they story thread. That gimmick has been worn to death. When two people that obviously ought to be together are artificially kept apart through endless contrivances, both the show and the characters just end up looking stupid. Besides, why can't an office sitcom include as part of its dynamic a committed couple? Might be refreshing to see a healthy, funny relationship, especially when they serve as foils for all the other lunatics.

Meh. Well said Beltmann, but I guess they just annoy me with all the cutesy couple schtick.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I now believe this show jumped the shark with the whole Jim-Pam thing.

I'm tending to agree. I'm sure it won't be long before they break up and a Rebecca character will be introduced to play off of their Sam and Diane. How bad was Cheers when everything was roses for Sam and Diane? It was best when they hated each other with underlying longing. That pending post-break-up vitriol would take the Office in a different direction than the former unrequited love and present relationship.

Man, you'd hate to be around Jay and I then.

Or any other happy couple. There's a reason they don't build sitcoms around them.

And Cheers was still good when Sam & Diane were together, because they were so not a happy couple.

Not saying The Office has jumped the shark because of Pam & Jim, but it is definitely a brave/odd thing the show is doing by focusing on their relationship. It has definitely led to some great moments already - with Pam & Jim being together, we wouldn't have had Toby touching her knee/jumping over the fence.

I think the danger is that it becomes Mad About You.

But The Office isn't built solely around Jim & Pam; their relationship is just one facet of the overall office dynamic. Besides, what makes a coupling work or not work isn't so much the circumstances, it's the characters. In the case of Sam & Diane, the appeal of that coupling was the friction, a natural outcome of those specific personalities. In the case of Jim & Pam, the appeal has always been their easy-going friendship, a point of warmth and humor that has been consistent whether they were dating or not dating. In other words, these characters in this group dynamic don't ever have to resemble something like Mad About You. (Actually, I think the show was at its worst, its most contrived, when trying to show the awkwardness between them while Jim was dating Karen. It was funny, but I didn't believe it.)

(Actually, I think the show was at its worst, its most contrived, when trying to show the awkwardness between them while Jim was dating Karen. It was funny, but I didn't believe it.)

Completely agree... The Office is one of the few shows on television that is laugh out loud funny. The relationship between Jim and Pam, thankfully, is just a small aspect of the show. The contrived awkwardness in the first couple of seasons was my only "beef" with the show. I was hoping that they wouldn't drag it out forever.

Oh, and Mad About You wasn't a horrible show, was it? I kind of remember liking it. The bar was a bit lower for network tv back then but still. Paul Reiser was pretty funny.

We talked about that somewhere around here. I don't see how those characters could work without one another. I'd say Andy stold the show last week.

People assume I'm great at golf, but like everybody I hated golf lessons when I was a kid so, I used to just hang out with the sailing club instead. Got my knot on.
He is who I am hoping would have a spin-off. That would be worth watching. Ed Helms is brilliant.

I'd say it would have to be him - if they make a show for Jim and Pam, I think The Office would sink.

I think NBC is just trying to capitilize on the success of The Office - which means they will run it into the ground somehow. That seems to be the thing to do these days - hence the 4 CSI shows. I can see this happening with My Name Is Earl also - it would be The Crabman Show - I would guess.

I think NBC is just trying to capitilize on the success of The Office - which means they will run it into the ground somehow. That seems to be the thing to do these days - hence the 4 CSI shows. I can see this happening with My Name Is Earl also - it would be The Crabman Show - I would guess.

I hope not, though Crabman is great.

I think the thing about both shows is they have such strong ensemble casts that they could probably lose a main character without hurting too much.

By the way, this last weeks episode of Earl was one of my favorites of the entire series. So good.