The latest Ryan Adams thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess he gave up country music so he could work at Blackbook. If he was still playing country music, then he would have to get a job at Country Music Today Magazine.

Ryan Adams Has Skyline Fever

anyone pre-order his book of poetry, Infinity Blues? I got the unsigned version but haven't been able to get into it yet. ain't abstract enough for me...haha.

Yeah, I got it too (a signed copy). So far as I can tell, the signature on the 2nd page is the highlight. I keed, I keed. You are right though. I will give it another shot, but man, on first read, this is not my cup o tea. Reads as completely self-indulgent (and not all that good).

is it basically like what he writes on his blog - the stream of consciousness double space poetry stuff or are there actual paragraphs/narrative?

I never read his blog. It appears to be stream of consciousness poetry. I am no expert on poetry, but sometimes I feel like there's a verrrrry fine line between stream of consciousness poetry and bad poetry. :)

nice!

every time i open that "new dates added" e-mail, I pray to see a NC date. alas, it never comes...

There is some WIGGLE room between the 9th - 16th, one would think SC, NC, maybe even Knoxville and/or

Nashville to fill these dates.

I would think The Cards love of St Louie will get the open night of 17th. 19th more than likely an off day with ATL again

ending the tour (Oh God, not again) on the 20th.

I'm sure hoping for some "driveable" dates in the 9-16th slot because as it falls now because of the day of the week

they are falling I will only HIT the B'Ham and ATL show.

An RA article in the Sunday Star Times:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/4783601a6621.html

Here's part:

"Well, I've always put out a lot of records because for me they're just a starting point, then those songs grow over the years as we play live," he says. "The songs on the records are just the first chapters in a book that's still being written, and you know, a creative person has to do their thing without taking too much notice of critics. If I listened to music critics, I'd be making sad country records all my life, but sometimes this band wants to sound like The Stones or Grateful Dead or Oasis instead, so that's what we do."

In the past few years, sobriety has slowed Adams a little. Some critics have lauded 2007's Easy Tiger and now Cardinology as evidence of a return to form, but leaving aside a couple of standout tracks, both are relatively dull. Neither is a patch on the early solo albums that had overheated fans making room for Adams at the altar beside Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen.

But Adams doesn't really want to talk about his early albums. As he speeds down an English motorway towards London, it's all about the brotherhood of the band.

"I love being in The Cardinals, man. We're like an incredible band of musical pirates. It's a beautiful exploratory dance between us on stage, with three of us up front locking into these three-part vocal harmonies, and Brad's up the back locking the beat down and Chris has got the bassline super Motown-ed out, it all just clicks."

An RA article in the Sunday Star Times:

*snip*

Some critics have lauded 2007's Easy Tiger and now Cardinology as evidence of a return to form, but leaving aside a couple of standout tracks, both are relatively dull. Neither is a patch on the early solo albums that had overheated fans making room for Adams at the altar beside Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen.

*snip*

I'll agree with this. I love Ryan Adams, but I stopped listening to Cardinology about a week in and haven't picked it up since. It didn't make my top 10 this year, not even the honorable mentions.

I haven't been able to stop listening to Cardinology and it was my second favorite record of the year. Once again we'll never agree. I find it optimistic in a sincere way. Which is the weird thing about how I view Ryan Adams. Many critics feel like he is a big poser who just imitates styles. I think he is freaking ball of energy who sincerely feels what he produces and has the ubertalent to back it up musically. He never struck me as insincere just as why I'm drawn to Tweedy. I think Ryan Adams was sincerely a mess and now sincerely is trying to piece himself back together.

I don't think it's an insincere record in any way, or particularly derivative. It does hold up pretty well live. But to me, Cardinology just sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record. There are some lovely melodies, but overall I think it lacks a vital spark.

I blame Neal Casal. ;)

About half of Cardinology has grown on me. I still really don't care for the second half of the album, but up to Crossed Out Name I've been really enjoying. Half a decent album is still more than I can say for a few other bands whose new releases I was looking forward to this year.

I'm glad to see they're hitting the road again at the start of next year. I'll definitely catch them again if they come within two hours or so of me. Aside from Andrew Bird, that was probably my favorite non-Wilco/Nels show of the year.

I don't think it's an insincere record in any way, or particularly derivative. It does hold up pretty well live. But to me, Cardinology just sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record. There are some lovely melodies, but overall I think it lacks a vital spark.

Cardinology sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record?

How do you feel about Love Is Hell?

Where the hell is Minglewood Hall?

this is what i am told:

Minglewood is that new venue that the guys from tcb entertainment are building on madison at the old strings and things building. Across from where the antenna used to be.

I am not always so sure of the words to use - but, for me it seems as if he is trying to make some mainstream rock radio records, or something like that. I recall when he went on and on in some of his blog posts about The Foo Fighters - so maybe that is what he is shooting for.

I just find the music to be very one dimensional on Cardinology. He will do as he wants though - if you have been looking at his blog, you know that he already has another album ready to go.

Cardinology sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record?

How do you feel about Love Is Hell?

I love Love is Hell. Prefer Part 1 to Part 2.

Love is Hell sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record alone in a shabby hotel room with a loaded gun.

Cardinology sounds like a depressed guy making a depressed record in a shiny studio with a half-caff skim hazelnut latte.