The latest Ryan Adams thread

Although I respect The Cardinals, I think the music he makes with them is a bit one dimensional. In the future, I would hope he either does some solo acoustic work, and/or something with a bit more raunch.

I hear ya cluckin. Ryan talked a lot about wanting the spotlight on the band rather than on him personally. But I think he knew he was hiding behind them, and that stifled his creativity.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as the raunch, I was really digging the Darkbreaker/Elizabethtown sessions vibe. Very groovy to my ears.

That is something I noticed a while back - the out takes or bonus tracks or whatever, are often more interesting that is what is on the album.

I still think this metal jam from the Showtime, Showtime video is cool.

I particularly like the Sabbath groove around 1:10.

I was excited he was coming to Florida but then I thought I'd skip it to save money for Phish shows. But this news makes me want to go. But if I buy tickets and the band doesn't break up, I'll feel tricked. His shit didn't bother me until now. Go see a fucking shrink.

I hope he takes some time to get his head screwed back on straight and settles down a bit before he really commits to this decision. He's been so prolific over the last few years that he could very well just be burned out, and I can't blame him for wanting to disappear a little for awhile. I said it at the time, but I was really amazed when I saw the Cardinals back in September. When I last saw them, back in 2005, he was a complete mess and the show was awful. I can't believe how much more focused he was, and the performance was excellent, despite the fact that I didn't love either Easy Tiger or Cardinology. I think he's got a lot of great music left in him, at least some of which might be with the Cardinals, but he's got to pace himself a little more.

Maybe it is silly an naive of me, but reading that makes me kinda sad.

Not just for his (percieved) pain, but for the losing his presence in today's music.

Love him or hate him, I think RA has put out a ton of quality work in the last decade or so. Perhaps the best artist of the 00's (arguaable, I know).

i think he should get out of the scene for a while - he needs to do what bob dylan is doing now... releasing a new album every 5 years or so. let only the best songs get released. i think his work is great, but he does have a habit of mixing his great songs with his not so good songs and if he just released less material he'd have a lot more great albums. he's incredibly talented though to be able to write as much as he can, and some of his stuff is just pure genius.

Woah that showtime,showtime jame is hot. I never watched that video all the way through. The studio electric version of What Sin always reminded me of the Dead covering a Sabbath song or Sabbath covering a Dead song.

it's hard to watch this rollercoaster. on one hand, i love his music & wish he would keep putting stuff out. on the other hand, he seems to not be dealing with the music business, etc very well & it seems to be affecting his mental state. that might be more important than me enjoying some new songs from him.

Basically this is it. I understand that people have different opinions about his work with the current version of the Cardinals, but he quite frankly has some personal things he needs to address. Anyone who has followed him closely, particularly in a live setting, has to have some knowledge that there are some issues. When he is on not many people can touch this guy for me though.

As folks have said in this thread, he really seemed to have figured out some things in the last few years in regards to focusing on what he was doing. Ironically a lot of people prefer the "roll the dice" Ryan to the "consistent" Ryan.

Regardless, there is no way to determine what he will decide to do. The rollercoaster reference is pretty spot on. He has really added a lot for me and I hope he is alright. Lord nows there is plenty of unreleased material if he wants to "clear out the vaults". Maybe this is a plow to get the box set released!

let only the best songs get released. i think his work is great, but he does have a habit of mixing his great songs with his not so good songs and if he just released less material he'd have a lot more great albums.

I have felt this way for a long, long time. I have all of his work too.

that poem was enjoyable.

I agree.

I appreciate Ryan's posts and his honesty (I think) because I am willing to cut the guy some slack. I do think he is being genuine, and I don't think these are self-indulgent, spotlight-seeking efforts. Or, let me put it this way. If they are, they seem to stem from very genuine issues that he is struggling with. I don't know the guy, but I take him at his word. I only hope that he figures this stuff out. Seems like the guy just needs a big bear hug from an old friend sometimes.

I wondered if he wasn't experiencing Meniere's disease.

Seems so.

It can cause dizziness/nausea and you have to stay away from a lot of salt/caffeinated drinks.

A friend has this.

I think I may have it to some degree if one can have it in various forms.