The latest Ryan Adams thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another rambling post from today. Ryan trying to "explain' himself:

"Friends and Fans (and Internet Lurking Music News Hacks)

I am very sorry if my blog post concerning my need to walk away for however long from cardinals( and from doing music related to the music i have made during my solo career and during my very long and substantially frustrating time at my former label ) was alarming or shocking or seemed off base. it was not my intention to be dramatic. I feel like i am entitled to my feelings and that i certainly do not deserve to be further ridiculed for my deteriorating inner ear issues and the physical pain that goes along with that.

perhaps my emotional overview of the things i resented and regretted was too much but this is also my choice if i choose to share here at THE CARDINALS BLOG as I am an original member of the band and I feel just as entitled to my opinion and my desire to be open about why i would choose to pull back now, after SUPPORTING THIS BAND AND ITS CONCEPTS when i might have continued during that time as a solo artist.

my reasoning is sound as is my dedication to what i feel is right for me and my thoughts and feelings are valid. i am a human being and have the basic desire to be well and not suffer any longer pain or anxiety that is unnecessary when my efforts might be better used and longer lasting in an environment where i would be happier therefor more helpful to others for longer.

what is so funny is, people i almost never speak to, people i played music with even who are supposed to be my friends, people in bands i grew up admiring who i went out of my way to support even to my own detriment called me today or send texts- the WORST being

I couldn't get through that, but he has to, at least on some level, understand that he brings all of this stuff on himself by being overly dramatic. He's just like the boy who cried wolf these days.

Man i love RA's tunes but his insecurity's are too much. :dontgetit

He just strikes me as someone particularly ill-equipped to deal with fame. He overshares and freaks out, overshares and freaks out. I'm cool with it as long as he keeps making good music. Hell, even if he doesn't.

I was thinking last night, what if he really did pull a Yusuf Islam and just walk away from it all for a while? Might be good for him.

I don't think he is doing anything that any other overly talented rock stars have not already done. I just think now a days, due to the internet, his own blogging, our celebrity obsessed culture, etc., these things appear to be more immediate. We get the news everyday - first through him, then Ryan Adams Archive, then Pitchfork, then Billboard, etc.

I mean - Brain Wilson spent many years hiding from mind gangsters, getting messed up on dope, making music, not making music, etc. - but there was no internet then where you could read about it everyday - you had to wait until an article popped up in a music magazine once a month to read about it. If it even came out. I have a Beach Boys book that is made up of clippings and articles - it is really not until the so-called comeback period, that one finds articles about his problems.

I'd say management needs to take away his computer:

YOU PEOPLE DON

i think maybe he realized he doesnt like playing shows now that hes sober. have you seen the guy live? everyones screaming like idiots. id need to be wasted to put up with that shit.

i think maybe he realized he doesnt like playing shows now that hes sober. have you seen the guy live? everyones screaming like idiots. id need to be wasted to put up with that shit.

That goes on at most all concerts - yes?

When I saw him, it was a pretty small setting, so he answered back to the people yelling out songs. I believe he particularly gets upset at people yelling out the names of Whiskeytown songs.

That goes on at most all concerts - yes?

It's undeniably worse at Ryan's concerts, but that's got a lot to do with him bringing it upon himself.

The first time I saw him was a few years ago in Vancouver; at one point, between songs, when an audience member yelled "Freebird!", Ryan walked to the edge of the stage and threatened to fight the guy. If I remember correctly, his exact words were: "I can get a lawyer -- you can't get a new face."

This particular show also ended with security on stage trying to get him (Ryan) down off a speaker stack during a drunken, lyric-less, ten-minute rendition of "I See Monsters," and he cancelled the rest of his tour the next day.

It's undeniably worse at Ryan's concerts, but that's got a lot to do with him bringing it upon himself.

The first time I saw him was a few years ago in Vancouver; at one point, between songs, when an audience member yelled "Freebird!", Ryan walked to the edge of the stage and threatened to fight the guy. If I remember correctly, his exact words were: "I can get a lawyer -- you can't get a new face."

This particular show also ended with security on stage trying to get him (Ryan) down off a speaker stack during a drunken, lyric-less, ten-minute rendition of "I See Monsters," and he cancelled the rest of his tour the next day.

classic! :lol

Rock & Roll, no? I too would want to mangle someone's face if they were screaming freebird at me whilst I was on stage trying to perform..

Someone mentioned earlier getting scared everytime this thread pops up at the top of the threads. I agree. I hope he finds some comfort (in a healthy way)

If he could just see that he has enormous talent and focus on the people who reinforce him instead of focusing on the detractors ................I don't know. He just gets so worked up by the outliers. Self worth is a true pain. We all struggle with insecurities, I just wish he'd shut it down as far as broadcasting them publicly, because it seems to feed the negativity instead of the opposite.

I still rock the hell out of Cardinology. I don't view it as an art statement like Love Is Hell or Cold Roses, but I like the songs with a few exceptions.

Cardinology is growing on me now that on my third spin. It has not been immediately accessible, for which I'm happy. I can tell the songs will take a while to sink in, and I'm happy to give it the time and attention it deserves. I especially love the production. That being said, Magick has become a quick skip to the next track.

not to tell you what to do, but just approach Magick for what it is, and it is good for what it is. That is why I think Ryan has so much talent. He can do it all at a drop of the hat, while (IMO) be completely Ryan Adams. Anyway. I use to say man I like Easy Tiger but Halloween Head is lame and the same with Magick. Then (I think I told this before) I saw my two year old son loving the hell out of Magick and it helped me get it on that level.It is Fun!

Rock & Roll, no?

Oh, absolutely. One of the more memorable shows I've been to. But also one of the worst, musically, and scariest in terms of worrying he'd walk off stage every time someone shouted anything. At another point during a solo version of "Wonderwall," it seemed like half the audience was shushing the other half of the audience, until Ryan stopped and turned away from the piano and said, "You sound like a bunch of fucking snakes in here!"

This is contrary to seeing him at Moore Theatre in Seattle two years later, during which he said almost nothing to the audience and sounded absolutely breathtaking.

This whole concert discussion is kind of interesting. Yes, I think he brings it on himself by broadcasting his fragile emotions to the world. And in the past by playing shows out of his mind on God knows what, and subsequently acting and behaving on stage like he is out of his mind on God knows what. But aren't the individuals who pay 20 to 25 bucks to go see Ryan to yell Freebird at him or Summer 69 at him equally if not more screwed up. I mean, who does that. I guess if you are equally messed up on God knows what, but just get messed up at home and save your money. Concert behavior is a joke. I'll never understand who pays money to talk the entire time, bait a performer, or get so loaded you don't remember the show? I think If I was on stage I would struggle to not bite back. I saw Gary Louris one time throw a snotty tantrum about people talking, and of course Tweedy has had his moments, and those things are kind of annoying in a prima dona way. But there is nothing wrong with telling the crowd to stick it if they are acting like children.

This whole concert discussion is kind of interesting. Yes, I think he brings it on himself by broadcasting his fragile emotions to the world. And in the past by playing shows out of his mind on God knows what, and subsequently acting and behaving on stage like he is out of his mind on God knows what. But aren't the individuals who pay 20 to 25 bucks to go see Ryan to yell Freebird at him or Summer 69 at him equally if not more screwed up. I mean, who does that. I guess if you are equally messed up on God knows what, but just get messed up at home and save your money. Concert behavior is a joke. I'll never understand who pays money to talk the entire time, bait a performer, or get so loaded you don't remember the show? I think If I was on stage I would struggle to not bite back. I saw Gary Louris one time throw a snotty tantrum about people talking, and of course Tweedy has had his moments, and those things are kind of annoying in a prima dona way. But there is nothing wrong with telling the crowd to stick it if they are acting like children.

There are a couple of ways to think about this though. For one, I'm paying that guy to be up there. If it weren't for me an 1500 of my friends he'd be playing open mike night somewhere. And anyone who did pay is there to have a good time and be entertained, not to be scolded (or told stories about eggs). I've been both the asshole at the show and the guy who told the asshole to just go home already. But in the end, they paid their money to get in, they can act however they want. Unless its an acoustic show. I hate that. :yes

There are a couple of ways to think about this though. For one, I'm paying that guy to be up there. If it weren't for me an 1500 of my friends he'd be playing open mike night somewhere. And anyone who did pay is there to have a good time and be entertained, not to be scolded (or told stories about eggs). I've been both the asshole at the show and the guy who told the asshole to just go home already. But in the end, they paid their money to get in, they can act however they want. Unless its an acoustic show. I hate that. :yes

No. Sorry. It's that line of thinking that makes concertgoing unbearable for the people who actually want to, you know, watch the concert.

I look at it as more of an appreciator of music. If great artists didn't tour and play live shows, I've be sitting at home in my boxers eating Cap'n Crunch, drinking warm Genesee Cream Ale, and jerking off to a Sears catalog. But that's just me. I keep becoming more and more dissatisfied with my concert going experience. It seems people really don't care about, or at least understand, great music. I spend half of my brain powers telling people around me to shut up instead of concentrating on the show. I really don't buy or understand the argument that if you paid for the ticket, you can do whatever you want. Just stay home if you aren't into it. Shows sell out and people who would appreciate being there don't get to go. Plus, I think of musicians (at least the ones I like) as artists instead of entertainers. They deserve respect and I'm thankful that they play.

I'm actually kind of surprised you would make this argument on a music message board.

And I feel like I'm getting old and cranky.