The latest Ryan Adams thread

does anyone else think 'Cobwebs' could have, maybe, possibly, been inspired by Wilco? the song sounds like its an outtake from the AGIB sessions.

That song ends wonderfully, and it is definitely a different sound for him especially when looking at the rest of the album. It kind of has that Wilco "panthers" feel about it. I know someone tried to explain the lyric earlier, but what does "confuse my love for the cobwebs" even mean. I want to totally love this song, but that one line, unfortunately the key line, perplexes me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Sh*t's going to get weird and awesome," he tells Billboard. "Because we're into bands like Oasis and Foo Fighters: big, monolithic rock bands who really explore all those areas. That's what Cardinals is. That's the work I want to do."

Ugh, I wish they wouldn't.

Did anyone watch the stream yesterday? It was okay; the sound quality was terrible though.

Ugh, I wish they wouldn't.

Did anyone watch the stream yesterday? It was okay; the sound quality was terrible though.

Ryan is prone to making these sweeping statements about the future that don't always pan out, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. He claims his next solo album without the Cardinals will sound like an old crooner album. Who knows? All I know is when he does release stuff it always sounds good to my ears. Even Rock n Roll satisfied me. I thought his half hearted attempt at a rock album sounded 10 times better than most rock bands. I think he is just naturally talented when it comes to melody and song construction.

Yeah I like RA a lot, and have generally dug the Cardinals -- Jacksonville City Nights and Cold Roses are the best post-Whiskeytown RA in my book. And, I really liked Easy Tiger a lot, when apparently some people couldn't stand it.

But this album has not been at all interesting on the first few listens... I was trying to figure out why when comparing notes with one of my buddies, but I'm really not sure. I think for one thing I slightly prefer acoustic RA. But then I also liked Gold pretty well on the first listen and that's mostly electric. I think it's just I don't dig this group of songs that much, for whatever reason?? Again not totally sure. Hope it's a grower, but these are pretty straightforward tunes / lyrics, not sure what exactly would do the growing.

i finally got a copy today.

i have to say, i liked it a lot more listening through it on the way home than the stream the other day.

the songwriting credits in the booklet are confusing. all say "written by david ryan adams" but never has anyone else's actual name, just they're publishing names on various ones.

someone on another message board uploaded this crazy .zip file which has 55 unreleased RA songs taken from his various blogs over the past year or 2. its insane. he left out the hardcore metal songs and RA's rap attempts, however. is it cool if I post the link to it here, or is this a no-no? that is if anyone is interested.

Letterman extra song:

Cobwebs

Check out Ryan's awesome mega amp

thanks!

i'm assuming they played Fix It on air?

is that not on the site anywhere?

Sort of a Rust Never Sleeps rip-off I would think.

RNS sounds like Cobwebs?

I may need to get that in the near future.

while i hate Pfork too, this is not a great record by Ryan's standards, i'm sorry. it's a very average one by his own standards.

they got it right w/ the new Blitzen Trapper (even though it's closer to a 9 than an 8.5 imo), just lame that it took them over a month to review it

I meant the film - part of stage props consisted of big amps with big mics in front of them.

ok. never seen it.

I would love to pair up Wayne Coyne's mega guitar from that other thread with Ryan's mega amp from the Letterman show.

And add in David Byrne's big suit for good measure.

while i hate Pfork too, this is not a great record by Ryan's standards, i'm sorry. it's a very average one by his own standards.

they got it right w/ the new Blitzen Trapper (even though it's closer to a 9 than an 8.5 imo), just lame that it took them over a month to review it

I'm seeing Blitzen Trapper open for Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks tonight in Madison. Great lineup. This is the most excited I've been for an opening act since Andrew Bird/Wilco.