The latest Ryan Adams thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife and I are driving to the Atlanta show Friday and will probably arrive around 8PM, possibly a bit later if we are unlucky. The tickets say the show starts at 8:30. Those of you that have seen shows this tour, when have they been taking the stage? Early, on time, late? I'd appreciate the information. Thank you

My wife and I are driving to the Atlanta show Friday and will probably arrive around 8PM, possibly a bit later if we are unlucky. The tickets say the show starts at 8:30. Those of you that have seen shows this tour, when have they been taking the stage? Early, on time, late? I'd appreciate the information. Thank you

pretty much on time most nights.

I really like some of the songs on Easy Tiger, but it would be nice if the band had a bit more bite sometimes.

I really enjoy this band but listening to some of the shows from 2005...back when they had Catherine Popper on bass and JP Bowersock on guitar. Maybe it had more to do with Ryan at the time, but they really seemed to have this smokey darkness to them. The June 16th, 2005 show at Stubb's is pretty great... definitely worth checking out.

pretty much on time most nights.

I appreciate it. That is good news. Our goal is to be early enough to check in at the hotel first. It is only 1.5 miles from the venue. Their website saying 'an evening with the Cardinals starts betwen 8-9' was making us nervous.

Doug, of the two shows I saw, Columbus and Indy, both were pretty punctual. So get there and have a great time! He seems to be playing Come Pick Me Up and Wonderwall early in the set.

On a completely unrelated note, congrats Wendy on getting that poster!

:cheekkiss Thanks, stickman - it is even more beautiful IRL, colors more vivid. :wub Yes, I had a real great day in Chicago a couple weeks ago - picked up my "holy grail" poster, it had never even been rolled in a tube!!! I bought a new (used) TV for 80 bucks from some guy on Craig's list since mine died after 15 years (ha!) and I didn't want to spend $1000 on a TV because I just don't watch it enough -- AND I got to see Calexico perform live in full glory with mariachis and other guests for free outdoors at Pritzger Park downtown with my mom! She loved it!!! Chicago rules.

Now back to RA. I have to listen to the leak. I'm sad to read so many lukewarm reviews. But I was sorta unimpressed with 1 of the 3 new songs they played live. :hmm

i like Easy Tiger.

Halloweenhead definitely does not fit - b-side, 7", ep or something else.

maybe take off one of the other weaker songs on side 2 and i think that's pretty strong.

i haven't heard these:

Bonus tracks

"Nobody Listens to Silence" (Adams)

i like Easy Tiger.

maybe take off one of the other weaker songs on side 2 and i think that's pretty strong.

i haven't heard these:

Bonus tracks

i like Easy Tiger.

i haven't heard these:

Bonus tracks

Doug, of the two shows I saw, Columbus and Indy, both were pretty punctual. So get there and have a great time! He seems to be playing Come Pick Me Up and Wonderwall early in the set.

If they play Come Pick Me Up, Elizabeth will die. If we miss it, I will, albeit by her hand.

I am so excited!! These setlists/reviews from ya'll have been incredible. Must devise scheme to leave work an hour earlier than planned...

Akashic Books has announced a second pre-order for Infinity Blues. This one is just for a hardcover first edition, without the signature and chapbook that were available in the last pre-order. It's $24.95 = $10 shipping (which is excessive, if you ask me), guaranteed delivery by Dec. 19. The book isn't scheduled to be released until April 1 of next year. Full details are available here.

for those that have Cardinology - is the album version of Cobwebs more like the original demo he put on his blog or more rocking live version?

It's not like the demo version - as I recall. I may be wrong though.

http://stereogum.com/archives/premature-ev...ogy_028381.html

The prolific author' date=' Oasis fan and Courtney Love lover Ryan Adams is rarely far from our thoughts. The fact that the man is so open and free about his goings on, it can be hard to remember the talent that rests on the other side of this or that squabble. Ryan has skills, yes, but is his tenth album Cardinology more of Easy Tiger's maybe too easy MOR, or did he amp and rough it up some? Well, Boston, you'll recognize a few Cardinology tracks right off the bat: "Sink Ships," very pretty "Cobwebs," "Fix It," and others he's performed on recent tours are here. ("Fix It," the first Cardinology single is elsewhere, too.) You'll also get another listen to "Crossed Out Name." Of course, context is important.

Super fans (or astute Internet users) likely also heard demos for "Born Into A Light," "Like Yesterday," "Magick," and "Evergreen" when Ryan was upping them to Youtube. And others when Ryan posted them to his blog. The pre-Cardinology Ryan's press corps promised the record would be "concise," "focused," and "unadorned." All true. It's no Cold Roses. That said, there's enough dust (and some minor rambles), saving it from the aforementioned Easy-like polish. You get a number of different Adams angles: The gentle down-homey "Like Yesterday" (and its soulful backup harmonies), the twangy and gentle "Evergreen" (somehow reminding us of Leon Redbone, of all people), the slinkier "Fix It" (and its almost U2 moments -- ditto "Go Easy" on the Bono thing), etc.

Even though "Magick" tells us to turn the radio up (and "Go Easy" has a stronger Adams' bellow in its power ballad moments) on the whole it's a quieter affair. Actually, maybe that's just because the best songs are the hushed ones -- even when they have some uplift like "Cobwebs" -- and they end up sticking in the mind. Cardinology also closes with its most spare moment, "Stop," five minutes of Closing Time piano plus strings and Ryan's voice in a fragile, higher register. It's a kind of lament filled with religious imagery and moving to worries about the future, a visit to an ad hoc psychiatrist (i.e. the singer/songwriter and Cardinologist Ryan Adams), and a repeated whisper to "stop" (the last word on the record).

These dozen songs aren't necessarily mind-blowing, but they offer a solid collection with a few standouts ("Cobwebs," especially). It should be enough to satisfy longtime fans and, as mentioned back at the beginning, show folks more familiar with Ryan's hijinx than his music that he's worth our attention.[/quote']

Anyone got the down low on the international releases of Cardinology with bonus tracks? Pre-ordered the vinyl, but typically a cd version is released eventually with several extra tracks. Trying to limit multiple copies here peeps.

PS: Alice does not suck.

10/23/06

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

The Savoy

Cork, Ireland

Free Spirit * >

What Sin Replaces Love >

Dear Chicago >

Blue Hotel >

Face Opera * >

Arkham Asylum >

Egyptology >

Tears Of Gold >

Bartering Lines >

Freeway To The Canyon >

Expressway To Yr. Skull >

The End >

Ryan Takes Off Hoody Jam * >

Cold Roses >

Strange * >

Mockingbird (w/ DJ Reggie Rap near end) >

Please Do Not Let Me Go >

Beautiful Sorta >

Peaceful Valley >

Disco Duck Rap

To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)

Encore

Dear John

Games

Judy Garland

New York, New York

A Kiss Before I Go

Meadowlake Street

Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run)

Shakedown On 9th Street

Willow Jane

I See Monsters