The latest Ryan Adams thread

pretty good album, but far from great and has 2-3 pretty poor songs

definitely not on par with his latest few (minus 29), that's for sure.

The waitress tries to give me change I say naw' it's cool, just keep it. . . :lol

29 is still one of my favorites.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok as I am listening to this for the third time I am definitely not thinking this is as good as I first thought. "Magick" sounds like a huge Oasis rip off and I can concur with the fact that the lyrics are pretty weak, especially on the first three track. "Cobwebs" is a really really good tune though, but we all sorta knew that.

The waitress tries to give me change I say naw' it's cool, just keep it. . . :lol

29 is still one of my favorites.

Agreed.

I don't understand the lack of love for 29. I put that one in his three or four along with Heartbreaker, Cold Roses, JCN. Gold remains my least favorite. Love is Hell is near the bottom too.

Agreed.

I don't understand the lack of love for 29. I put that one in his three or four along with Heartbreaker, Cold Roses, JCN. Gold remains my least favorite. Love is Hell is near the bottom too.

Love is Hell and 29 are the ones I listen to the most, along with Follow The Lights.

I was thinking - in some ways, he is like Neil Young, in that he takes old songs and sticks them on an album with new songs. Other times, he creates a group of new songs, and puts them out.

I think this new album was created and recorded pretty quick - maybe that has something to do with the poor reception. I mean, spontaneity often leads to great songs, other times it does not work.

I say this as I recall reading various posts on his blog - and at some point he talked about "having to write and record some new songs" - so I can't help but wonder if he rushed the process due to the fact that is jacked up about the band he is playing with, and the desire to create some new songs to play.

That's a great point. The leak hasn't dripped onto my computer yet...I think I might hold out until the vinyl gets here, but I can completely understand what you mean. It seems every time he says something it is about how much he loves playing with the Cardinals. I was worried when I heard some of the new songs from bootlegs from the Oasis tour...they seemed almost like a misstep. I think that the quickness with which he wrote and recorded the album is probably why.

PS: Foggy is back

I think the album sounds pretty good. I can relate to a lot of his lyrics so that might have something to do with it. its kinda hard to rate this in comparison to his other albums as it takes some time for me to get the "feel" for the record. as time rolls by, my fav. DRA record constantly changes. this sounds absurd, but I just "got" "Gold" the other day, haha. so, we'll see what this one does in the future.

by the way, "Crossed Out Name" is such a wonderful tune. the acoustic version on Foggy does the studio version very little justice. the whole sound quality issue might have something to do with that tho.

I too grabbed it last night, gave it one listen. I had heard, either on a recent show download, or many in person live

last week in Cincy/SLouis I think all but two of the songs.

I only listened to it one time last night, will listen most likely a few times at work today. My take is........

I could give a shiat ! LOL, I'll exlain...take Easy Tiger, heck take my fav album Cold Roses.....the band plays MOST

the tunes much better live and I'm a live music follower. I think I played ET once, maybe twice and shelved it.

Some of what I found in last nights run through is the songs are more "organic", much more acoustic guitar than

I would have wanted after seeing what the band is doing with them live on this tour. I think The Cards as a whole

played a major part in song structure, heck we will see when it officially hits but I think NC may, MAY even share

in some writing credits.

I will finish with.......where are my soaring electric guitars on "Natural Ghost", LOL. I'm loving this song live and they are

killing it with some passionate aggressiveness however again to much acoustic.......any Ol' Deadhead who has heard it live

will smile when ya get the little Terrapin riff. Where is it the album?

I'll open my mailbox soon, open the cd...play it once then load up the VW and go support the boys on the road.

I can't help but wonder if he rushed the process due to the fact that is jacked up about the band he is playing with, and the desire to create some new songs to play.

It seems every time he says something it is about how much he loves playing with the Cardinals.

Exactly. He has said how much he loves playing with the Cardinals which is exactly why I was looking forward to this release so much. He seemed happy, focused and the band was/is on fire.

I dont understand the urge to rush the process because he loves the band he is playing with. Wouldn't you take your time to put out something that was great if you loved the band you are playing with? The desire to create new songs to play doesnt mean you have to rush an album out -- can't you create new songs and play them on the road? And then when you are ready, go into the studio to do it right?

Haha, just ignore me. I still haven't heard the darn thing. Waiting for the vinyl. I am just surprised that people's opinions are that it was rushed and not all that focused. I'd think the stage was set for a really focused album. Then again, that's why I am me, and he is Ryan Adams. I'll still take it. :)

it doesn't sound that rushed to me. the only song I'm having a hard time following is "Sink Ships" while the others are pretty good. that song shows such potential until he gets into the "this position is not open now for applicants, the application forms got shredded, etc..." I guess if you're into rating albums and such, I would place "Cardinology" in between "CR" and "ET" in terms of everything the record has to offer.

my new favorite song, which has gone from "Fix It," to "Magick," to "Cobwebs," to "Crossed Out Name," is "Born Into A Light." dang, Adams is such a great writer as well as singer, can't go wrong with any album he lays his hands on.

btw, anyone know the cheapest place to order the vinyl? I don't really want that whole t-shirt, postcard deal as the shirts never seem to fit right and I did not attend any of those shows the postcards advertise. :pirate

btw, anyone know the cheapest place to order the vinyl? I don't really want that whole t-shirt, postcard deal as the shirts never seem to fit right and I did not attend any of those shows the postcards advertise. :pirate

i think the whole shirt deal has run out.

the official store has the red vinyl/leah hayes cover/comic book/bonus 7"/download for $15.

i think i've seen it $17 something everywhere else at least.

re: MMJ

is this just for their last tour?

i know Dr Dog toured with them at some point.

I've always tried to think of Ryan in terms of a similar career path as Neil Young. Early band breaks up, solo artist, off an on relationship with backing band. Odd musical turns, a ton of albums, great songs, etc etc etc.

A couple other Ryan thoughts:

I think Love is Hell is his masterpiece.

I think Cold Roses is epic.

I find myself listening to Easy Tiger more than his other albums, not sure why?

I look forward to every single thing he does and don't expect a great album everytime out, but look forward to adding a few wonderful musical moments to his already huge catalouge.

I haven't heard anything off the new album except "fix it" so I don't have an opinion on that.

re: MMJ

is this just for their last tour?

i know Dr Dog toured with them at some point.

I think anytime you see something billed as "An Evening With..." you'll be getting a 2+ hour show. But MMJ have historically played some epic sets, opener or no.

I'd put Pearl Jam in that category too.