The latest Ryan Adams thread

What the heck is wrong with Rock and Roll? It's rock and roll. It rocks.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nothing... but it earned Ryan his worst reviews to date

If Rock and Roll is his worst, then that is reason enough for him to quit pushing the caricature of the tortured and unstable artist. If RnR is his career low then he's doing fine. And Ryan, if your're reading this, you still owe ATL 80-110 minutes of doing what you do best (no, not whining).

From Sunday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/arts/mus...amp;oref=slogin

October 26, 2008

Playlist | Ryan Adams

A Dash of Mainstream and a Whole Lot of Metal

By WINTER MILLER

ON a recent tour, the singer-songwriter Ryan Adams insisted on not knowing which city he was scheduled to play next and how long each stop would be. But he has been far from directionless. Mr. Adams has been writing a book of prose and poetry, to be published in March by Akashic Books. He has been working on his third album with his band, the Cardinals,

i put on RnR for the first time in a while and i noticed he really sings differently. some times it sounds like he was trying to emulate Kurt Cobain and other singers according to what the song was trying to sound like.

Just finished my first listen through Cardinology. It's epic! Fix It, Crossed Out Name, and Stop are the initial standout tracks. Favorite line thus far: "Confuse my love for the cobwebs" He's done it again. So prolific. I really think this album is one of his best to date. Time for round two...enjoy your listening.

from Rhapsody:

"Cardinology is well-crafted adult alternative rock grounded in Americana ... Although Adams is considered a prickly fellow, this album will cement his rep among the Starbucks faithful."

I can't help but be annoyed by those statements. Not sure why.

from Rhapsody:

"Cardinology is well-crafted adult alternative rock grounded in Americana ... Although Adams is considered a prickly fellow, this album will cement his rep among the Starbucks faithful."

that is just lazy journalism i think.

The iTunes bonus track, "Color of Pain," is disappointing. In fact, the high-pitched vocals are bordering on sort of awful. I got the "Fix It" single when I pre-ordered, but when I downloaded the rest of the album this morning, it didn't include "Fix It," so I had to relabel the tracks.

I just finished my first listen to the official release, and I don't feel any differently about it than I did a few weeks ago. It's a coherent album, and I think it's more consistent than Easy Tiger, but it doesn't knock me out. I'm working from home today and grading papers, and it's nice background music for doing that. At his best, though, Ryan is a lot more than background music, though.

That said, the new songs were all very good live. Even though I don't love this, I'll keep listening to it and I'll definitely catch him again next time he comes around.

from Rhapsody:

I agree. It's annoying because a coffee enterprise and its costumers have no real connection to music.

Ryan Adams Plays Late Lunch Gig In NYC

October 28, 2008 , 5:55 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals celebrated today's (Oct. 28) release of their new Lost Highway album, "Cardinology," with a surprise eight-song acoustic performance at Soho's tiny Cafe Select.

"We're going to play some music while you're having lunch," Adams joked before he, guitarist Neal Casal and drummer Brad Pemberton launched into "Born Into a Light," the first of five straight songs from "Cardinology."

At one point, Adams could be heard asking Casal, "What else is on this record? I don't have it yet," and the cafe's espresso machine was also audible during "Magick," adding to the unusual vibe.

Eventually, Adams began taking requests from the crowd, who were alerted to the gig via a posting on the fan site RyanAdamsArchive.com. He played "If I Am a Stranger" and "Cherry Lane" from his 2005 album, "Cold Roses," and wrapped the set with a rambling version of the new "Let Us Down Easy," with made-up lyrics about a waitress turning into a robot and vaporizing him with a laser.

The Cardinals will continue the celebration Friday with a show at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. And although "Cardinology" just came out today, Adams is already dreaming about where he and his bandmates will go next.

"Sh*t's going to get weird and awesome," he tells Billboard. "Because we're into bands like Oasis and Foo Fighters: big, monolithic rock bands who really explore all those areas. That's what Cardinals is. That's the work I want to do."

Here is Ryan Adams' set list:

"Born Into a Light"

"Evergreen"

"Fix It"

"Magick"

"Natural Ghost"

"If I Am a Stranger"

"Cherry Lane"

"Let Us Down Easy"

Well I have now spent a day with this record (I had it on at work on Ilike on Monday and don't do that, listening to music on a computer never sounds as nice) Anyway, I must say with the exception of a couple things, primarily Sink Ships (I don't think I will ever understand this song) I really am enjoying this album. Let Us Down Easy and Like Yesterday are truly standouts. Like Yesterday almost rips off part of the Allman Brothers Blue Sky solo, but that is a good thing. Overall, I ended up really digging Easy Tiger but that took awhile, Cardionology hit me more the first few times around. I like the positive self talk throughout and I like hearing him do an optimistic record after years of woe as me (which I also liked). I don't get some of the lyrics "cobwebs" but that is ok too. And suprisingly I really enjoyed Magick. I think as I get older, some straighforward blatant rock is refreshing after years of indie rock too cool posturing. Anyway, can't wait for the vinyl

how about a collaboration with dave grohl? awesomeness

I would probably welcome this, as long as they don't veer into Probot territory. that was a great idea on paper, but the finished product was pure crap.