• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Sorrow and the Pity

Considering that in WWI 60 percent of French men 18-27 were killed or permanently maimed, I cut 'em a little slack.

That was a good movie.

Double post here as I posted this in the Netflix thread too -- but we're finally on the last disc (the USPS lost a Netflix disc in the mail, so watching was delayed over the holiday):

wire.jpg

Visually it's been cleaned up as has the soundtrack - the previous DVD version was shocking - now it looks all crystalline and, basically the way it should.

Other than that there's various bits that have been re-shot - the Zhora glittery lady death scene has been redone to get around the fact that previously it looked like a bricklayer in lady's wig that went crashing through the glass.

Loads of dialogue has been subtly altered. A bit more violence added.

Oh and crucially, SPOILER ALERT......

the unicorn dream sequence has been extended, to underline to the simpletons that Deckard really is a replicant.

Double post here as I posted this in the Netflix thread too -- but we're finally on the last disc (the USPS lost a Netflix disc in the mail, so watching was delayed over the holiday):

wire.jpg

I still can't believe I don't have HBO and will have to wait until 2010 (or thereabouts) to see the new season.

I still can't believe I don't have HBO and will have to wait until 2010 (or thereabouts) to see the new season.

You're not alone - we don't have HBO or Showtime, so we have big gaps between watching shows like The Wire, The Sopranos, Weeds, etc. after a week of watching an entire season. I always have to catch up with the season recap because it's been so long... but not worth it to pay the extra for the premium channels.

One big disappointment with The Wire was the 4:3 aspect ratio -- HBO didn't air it in widescreen? Or did they just not bother to make a decent DVD? Does HBO HD not air it in HD?

Anybody else interested in Celebrity Apprentice? The only new show that I've seen commericals for that I have interest in.

Gene Simmons is the shit! My wife and I watched it last night and I didn't fall asleep. (If that says anything) :hmm

manray002.jpg

Le Retour a la raison / Man Ray / France / 1923

It's a series of surreal shots of rotating objects, each reflecting light in a different way--none more beautiful than the shot of Kiki's nude torso twisting side to side as spiraling shadows adjust to her curves. Next up: Man Ray's Emak-Bakia (1926).

The Films of Kenneth Anger, Vols. 1 & 2

I've seen Vol. 1, but not Vol. 2 (but it's a top priority). How does it compare/contrast?

I'm going to watch "once' again in the morning.

I need to see the movie, but I gotta tell ya the song that has been saturating the radio annoys the crap out of me.