Wilco in designer clothes

Soo there's a way that I can ignore all of your posts? Because I can't read stuff like this anymore.

Who cares what some artists say? Van Halen meant more to more people than the Velvet Underground ever will.

I think this comes down to a difference between populism and elitism. The elites in art would be the artists, so you think their opinion matters more than the majority. I think this is kind of ridiculous. But whatever.

Plus, you are kind of pretentious, so I wouldn't mind if you ignored me.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much more interesting and fun to watch/listen to?

That is actually a surprisingly good analogy.

And hey, Jesus, guess what. There's no such thing as universal good taste. Stop trying to pretend there is. You'll be a lot more fun to discuss things with. If I like VH's debut better than VU's, that doesn't mean I'm "wrong."

Well, I also find them pretty boring (with the exception of "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'", which is ace,) so I could care less about their importance.

They may be influential, but I don't think they are important. Not in the big scheme of things, anyways. Van Halen (for instance) is a way more important band because they actually mattered to a lot of people.

And all of that said, your post still makes no sense. You've said some things in this thread.

so things are only important if they matter to a lot of people? that's idiotic.

So wait...

Craftsmen don't have a better grasp on their craft than the average person?

So if I was to tell you Tropic of Cancer was better than the latest dimestore Romance Novel at the drug store, you'd say I was pretentious?

Since it's your opinion, I would, yeah. Especially if you treated it as fact.

so things are only important if they matter to a lot of people? that's idiotic.

More idiotic than if I say they are only important because they matter to a small group of influential people?

Well, that's because you're a snob.

I'd actually rather watch Spider-Man; and I'll be the first one to admit my cinematic priorities are screwed up.

Maybe I am a snob, or a douchebag. But I wouldn't have it any other way. By being a snob, I never find myself in a position where I have to listen to something I don't like, or jamming with people who I don't share music interests with.

Maybe it's just that I can't bring myself to believe there is such a thing as "good" music. It's all taste. All of it.

Well many great philosophers have pondered this mystery. Take a course in aesthetics next semester. See what you think.

Do you also think there's no such thing as "good" art, film, or literature? Because if you believe that then I can accept your statement that there's no such thing as "good" music.

Well many great philosophers have pondered this mystery. Take a course in aesthetics next semester. See what you think.

Do you also think there's no such thing as "good" art, film, or literature? Because if you believe that then I can accept your statement that there's no such thing as "good" music.

Absolutely there is no such thing as "good" anything. I feel if something moves one person, it has artistic merit. I am supposed to feel intellectually inferior because I (and about 90% of the population) would rather listen to Van Halen than the Velvet Underground. Just because the VU are somehow "better" or "more important". Get out of here.

I deal with this a lot because a lot of the stuff I like isn't considered "good" by the taste makers. Of course, a lot of the stuff that most people like isn't considered "good", so who is wrong, then? The answer is nobody. I just don't see why so many people go out of their way to put down other people's taste in music because they listen to "bad" music. It's ridiculous.

Basically, people are entitled to their own opinions. People can voice them by saying "this is my opinion" and then equally, understand that others may have completely different opinions -- yet then understand that its OK, since they are just opinions.

This is my own opinion, of course.

I could just post more Donatella pics if you want. There are a shit load of them out there.

More idiotic than if I say they are only important because they matter to a small group of influential people?

it seems like you discount anything that isn't loved by the masses. to you, anything that isn't hugely popular/successful, doesn't mean anything and shouldn't be important to anyone.

it seems like you discount anything that isn't loved by the masses. to you, anything that isn't hugely popular/successful, doesn't mean anything and shouldn't be important to anyone.

I think you missed when I said "I feel if something moves one person, it has artistic merit." I'm discounting the VU because I think their importance is overstated, mostly because they don't mean anything to the average person. They have their place, but I think their impact is lessened because of their narrow scope of influence.

Also he has this attitude that I only like The Velvet Underground because it's "Cool" to like.

I actually got into the Velvet Underground through a Nirvana cover of Here She Comes Now when I was like in 10th grade. I thought the song was awesome, so I checked out the band, and they blew my freaking mind. I had no idea they were important, I just thought they were great.

Also he has this attitude that I only like The Velvet Underground because it's "Cool" to like.

I actually got into the Velvet Underground through a Nirvana cover of Here She Comes Now when I was like in 10th grade. I thought the song was awesome, so I checked out the band, and they blew my freaking mind. I had no idea they were important, I just thought they were great.

I'm not sure where I implied this. You can like whoever you like for whatever reason you want. I don't think I ever made a judgment on why you like them. I personally don't like them.

(And I especially don't get the love for VU&N. Nico's songs bore me to tears.)

I'm not sure where I implied this. You can like whoever you like for whatever reason you want. I don't think I ever made a judgment on why you like them. I personally don't like them.

(And I especially don't get the love for VU&N. Nico's songs bore me to tears.)

Nico's voice is a little off putting at first.

Sooo how about this Ryan Adams character...can we get back to talking about him?

Why, at the end of the day, must all threads in which there is strong disagreement end in someone or other being deemed - a
Well, I also find them pretty boring (with the exception of "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'", which is ace,) so I could care less about their importance.

They may be influential, but I don't think they are important. Not in the big scheme of things, anyways. Van Halen (for instance) is a way more important band because they actually mattered to a lot of people.

And all of that said, your post still makes no sense. You've said some things in this thread.

Wow...just...wow