Wilco in designer clothes

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it matter how old the average Wilco fan is? I don't believe that the 25-34 demographic is completely in the dark about Wilco, though I went to a liberal arts university, where EVERYONE knew who Wilco was.

But let's say the average person under 25 doesn't know who Wilco is; how does this matter? is the 25-49 crowd not a viable crowd?

The question was, is Wilco a secret? When most people under 30 dont know who they are, that is an issue. Rock n roll is a young man's sport, like it or not (and I'm not trying to sound sexist, but...well, it is).

And let's face it, if Wilco did tap into that demographic, they would be know by most, if not all of America.

I saw Ryan last year in Ann Arbor, I wore this shirt just for him. His apprehensive face says it all.

DSC00368.jpg

Damn, he looks pretty good in that pic. Usually I don't find him all that attractive, but, wow.

That said, no one should take RA seriously. The man doesn't even take himself seriously.

Oh, and I

I named my 6 year old Ryan because of him. Heartbreaker changed my life. For reals.

The question was, is Wilco a secret? When most people under 30 dont know who they are, that is an issue. Rock n roll is a young man's sport, like it or not (and I'm not trying to sound sexist, but...well, it is).

And let's face it, if Wilco did tap into that demographic, they would be know by most, if not all of America.

I don't consider Wilco a secret. A band that sells a half a million copies of a record isn't a secret. There are bands that have sold a 3rd of what Wilco has that I don't consider "secret".

And if Wilco is a secret, then the Velvet Underground is a secret. And are you going to argue The Velvet Underground isn't HIGHLY influential next? cause they are.

im 18

et je ne sais pas que je desir.

I don't consider Wilco a secret. A band that sells a half a million copies of a record isn't a secret. There are bands that have sold a 3rd of what Wilco has that I don't consider "secret".

And if Wilco is a secret, then the Velvet Underground is a secret. And are you going to argue The Velvet Underground isn't HIGHLY influential next? cause they are.

Your average person probably couldn't name a VU song, either.

Of course, your average music fan doesn't define what music gets remembered in the history books, so I suppose that doesn't matter.

Wilco is not the Velvet Underground. There's not a chick in the band, even if you count Pat.

That was funny :worship

Of course, your average music fan doesn't define what music gets remembered in the history books, so I suppose that doesn't matter.

I can't even name a VU song. All I know is they have the album cover with the banana and that's only because Ronen had it as his avatar for so long.

I can't even name a VU song. All I know is they have the album cover with the banana and that's only because Ronen had it as his avatar for so long.

The VU are only considered well known or important because people who write about music have made them so. Your average music fan has no clue who they are for the most part.

Don't worry, there will always be a copy of the 9th Greenday greatest hits compilation at your local Shell station.

The VU are only considered well known or important because people who write about music have made them so. Your average music fan has no clue who they are for the most part.

They're important because so many great artists have followed in their foot steps.

By the time VU was getting heavy musical press they'd already influenced a whole generation of Glam Rockers and NYC Punks. The journalists were late to the VU legend; they didn't create it, it was already there.

Dashboard Confessional has sold over 500,000 records. It's not that big a deal.

Don't worry, there will always be a copy of the 9th Greenday greatest hits compilation at your local Shell station.

Ok. Are you trying to make a point, or are you just typing at this point?

Why don't you say that I am a teenager again. There's only 3 months left for you to say it, get them in while you can.

Remembered in the history books ≠(necessarily) "influential"

One need not sell a lot of records to be an influential artist. How many albums did Gram Parsons sell?

Ok. Are you trying to make a point, or are you just typing at this point?

Why don't you say that I am a teenager again. There's only 3 months left for you to say it, get them in while you can.

I just can't take anyone seriously who thinks the only reason the Velvet Underground is important is because Rock critics say they are.

You don't have to like them, but don't undermine a band's accomplishments.

I just can't take anyone seriously who thinks the only reason the Velvet Underground is important is because Rock critics say they are.

Well, I also find them pretty boring (with the exception of "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'", which is ace,) so I could care less about their importance.

They may be influential, but I don't think they are important. Not in the big scheme of things, anyways. Van Halen (for instance) is a way more important band because they actually mattered to a lot of people.

And all of that said, your post still makes no sense. You've said some things in this thread.

when John and Glenn guest-programmed a video show here in 2003, they played Venus in Furs.. so there must be some influence or fanbase carried down

Exactly. So many people have VU influence i them. For bobbob to say their influence is superficial is ridiculous.