Wilco in designer clothes

Maybe it's just that I can't bring myself to believe there is such a thing as "good" music. It's all taste. All of it.

So...

Bob Dylan has nothing more in his bag thanBlink 182?

The Clash and Gwar are indistinguishable?

Al Green has nothing more to say than the Backstreet Boys?

Seems like you've painted yourself into defending a position you don't really hold.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...

Bob Dylan has nothing more in his bag thanBlink 182?

The Clash and Gwar are indistinguishable?

Al Green has nothing more to say than the Backstreet Boys?

Seems like you've painted yourself into defending a position you don't really hold.

Except I really do hold them. I might personally prefer certain bands, but I'm not going to hold it against somebody else because they don't. It's taste. I can fully understand why people don't like Bob Dylan, or why they might prefer Blink 182.

Some thoughts on this thread...

1.) I wonder if there was an internet back in 1970, Rolling Stones fans would have made a 15 page thread about John Lennon's "I roll a stoney" line in Dig a Pony.

2.) I admire Bobbob for being willing to go to the mat for the artists he likes regardless of how hip they are, as much as I hate to admit there's nothing that really makes The Velvet Underground better than Van Halen other than personal preference. I prefer the Velvets catalog (no Squeeze doesn't count...) to almost anything else in music, but that's just me. I prefer The Royal Tennenbaums to College Road Trip. I prefer Van Halen with David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar... but there's nothing that really makes the Roth era better, other than having a pair of ears.

3.) Whiskeytown's "Choked Up" is a wonderful song, Adams may come off as a bit of an assclown, but he can certainly write a tune now and then.

4.) ction's posts in this thread are pure gold.

--Mike

I think you missed when I said "I feel if something moves one person, it has artistic merit." I'm discounting the VU because I think their importance is overstated, mostly because they don't mean anything to the average person. They have their place, but I think their impact is lessened because of their narrow scope of influence.

this is a debate that comes up in regard to art in general: if it doesn't affect a lot of people, does it make it bad art? I think you'll find universally, no. just because there's not a broad audience for something doesn't mean it's "bad" art. it works transversely, too.

edit: I'm not even sure what I'm getting at here...

I think you missed when I said "I feel if something moves one person, it has artistic merit." I'm discounting the VU because I think their importance is overstated, mostly because they don't mean anything to the average person. They have their place, but I think their impact is lessened because of their narrow scope of influence.

einstein's theory of relativity means nothing to the average person. the way in which your computer works means nothing to the average person. people walk past buildings every day and drive in cars, but don't know how they stand up and move.

just because these things go unnoticed, it doesn't mean they don't have an influence on us all. the same thing goes for music. the velvet underground don't mean anything to the average person, but their influence on the music which does mean something to the average person (by this, i'm talking about sales - cos just because someone owns something doesn't actually mean it means something to them of any significance) can be charted. it's a bit like a food chain, only in reverse.

Except I really do hold them. I might personally prefer certain bands, but I'm not going to hold it against somebody else because they don't. It's taste. I can fully understand why people don't like Bob Dylan, or why they might prefer Blink 182.

You've chosen two bands that can actually write and play music, would your opinion hold if we were to compare Dylan to say, a barely proficient, can hardly play their instruments, high school level garage band?

Please don

I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to read through this entire thread but I don't.

Quick recap:

Tweedy - Genius, messiah

Ryan Adams - Overrated, untalented

JUDE - Douche

bobbob - teenager, trust funder

ction - ?!

edit 8:09 AM

Why do people constantly name that album as the best and then dismiss the rest? I often wonder. That makes no sense to me at all. This thread is waiting to (or maybe already has) derailed - but I have to say, those that think he does not have talent - I don't understand how you can say that.

I can only speak for myself

Why do people constantly name that album as the best and then dismiss the rest? I often wonder. That makes no sense to me at all. This thread is waiting to (or maybe already has) derailed - but I have to say, those that think he does not have talent - I don't understand how you can say that.

I was never a fan of Adams, until Cold Roses and everything he's released since. I don't really like anything he did beforehand, including Whiskeytown, so maybe I can help balance out this issue.