Wilco in designer clothes

I think Conor Oberst is a better song writer than Jeff Tweedy, but Jeff Tweedy does just about everything else better.

i agree that oberst is a great song writer, but he lacks the scope that tweedy possesses. to me, oberst's writing doesn't reach beyond...teen angst, for lack of a better term.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do I think is in Tweedy's league? No one you'd like if you're ranting about Ryan Adams.

But from the past 10 years or so, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith (RIP), Lucinda Williams, Thom Yorke and Wayne Coyne come to mind as other songwriter's I respect on the same level as I do Tweedy. Adams doesn't even register for me.

I think it's kind of sad that we have to have a new Ryan Adams thread every month as I think he's nothing special...but hey, that's the right of the board; freedom of speech. It's also my right to say I think he's a boring, inconsistent artist, who buys into his own hype.

To quote my father (who stole this from someone else) Ryan Adams is a parrot; he does a whole lot of talking and not a lot of flying.

Solid song-writers, do you work at a small, independent record store? If Adams is not special, why is there a thread every month? Have you ever thought about that?

Solid song-writers, do you work at a small, independent record store? If Adams is not special, why is there a thread every month? Have you ever thought about that?

I personally think there's a new Ryan Adams thread every month because he makes a spectacle of himself, with goofy crap like the video that this thread was started to discuss. He's an idiot: making fun of artists he's jealous of, leaving angry messages on rock journalists answering machines, pulling publicity stunts like his 11 albums the other year to get himself back in blogs. He'll put out anything he writes because he thinks it's all gold...when really a lot of it is brown, if you know what I mean.

If he could keep it down to an album every two years picking only the very best of his prolific writing periods, I think I could very well becom a Ryan Adams fan. But every time I see something about him, it's about some stupid bullshit he's pulled this week to get internet publicity.

Who do I think is in Tweedy's league? No one you'd like if you're ranting about Ryan Adams.

But from the past 10 years or so, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith (RIP), Lucinda Williams, Thom Yorke and Wayne Coyne come to mind as other songwriter's I respect on the same level as I do Tweedy. Adams doesn't even register for me.

I think it's kind of sad that we have to have a new Ryan Adams thread every month as I think he's nothing special...but hey, that's the right of the board; freedom of speech. It's also my right to say I think he's a boring, inconsistent artist, who buys into his own hype.

To quote my father (who stole this from someone else) Ryan Adams is a parrot; he does a whole lot of talking and not a lot of flying.

you do quite a noteworthy job at underestimating Ryan Adams.

and this is coming from someone who appreciates, admires and respects most of those other artists you mentioned above.

i don't know what aspect of this guy you're focusing all your opinions on, but you greatly underestimate him.

and it's cool. not everyone has to love the guy or even respect him.

but indifference just might suit you better.

much better actually.

btw, lose the whole "not anyone YOU'D like" and "you think that because you're a TEENAGER" attitude you seem to have.

that shit is disgusting. and i'm sure you're a nicer person who doesn't wanna looked upon as an asshole.

I personally think there's a new Ryan Adams thread every month because he makes a spectacle of himself, with goofy crap like the video that this thread was started to discuss. He's an idiot: making fun of artists he's jealous of, leaving angry messages on rock journalists answering machines, pulling publicity stunts like his 11 albums the other year to get himself back in blogs. He'll put out anything he writes because he thinks it's all gold...when really a lot of it is brown, if you know what I mean.

If he could keep it down to an album every two years picking only the very best of his prolific writing periods, I think I could very well becom a Ryan Adams fan. But every time I see something about him, it's about some stupid bullshit he's pulled this week to get internet publicity.

you honestly think he wastes the time he does to make those fuck around records for publicity?

he's just a huge nerd/dork. he knows that hardly anyone will listen to those things, but finds them amusing enough to put up often (who knows how much stuff he throws away too...). i find a lot of 'em pretty funny, but I also get his weird sense of humor too.

i'll admit a lot of the spazz outs and tantrums at his shows is a big turnoff for me, but when he's on, the dude is frickin' great.

you do quite a noteworthy job at underestimating Ryan Adams.

and this is coming from someone who appreciates, admires and respects most of those other artists you mentioned above.

i don't know what aspect of this guy you're focusing all your opinions on, but you greatly underestimate him.

and it's cool. not everyone has to love the guy or even respect him.

but indifference might just suit you better.

btw, lose the whole "not anyone YOU'D like" and "you think that because you're a TEENAGER" attitude you seem to have.

that shit is disgusting. and i'm sure you're a nicer person who doesn't wanna looked upon as an asshole.

I probably do underestimate him; I couldn't enjoy U2 until I was in college because as a kid I couldn't get passed Bono wankiness. I do let my opinion of the musician color my opinion of their music.

I guess that was asshole-ish. And I apologize, but when it comes to musical debates I generally go for low blows; I'm a very mellow person about all things except for music. Sometimes I start swinging the axes when a debate comes up.

Your view of influential is also idiotic. I'm sorry, I don't like to flame, but have you ever heard of The Velvet Underground? You don't have to sell 50 million records to be influential. They sold about 1 million, and are one of the most influential and important bands EVER.

Noam, il n'aime pas les Velvets!

I have no clue what you just said. I'd guess something about name dropping the Velvets?

Je n'ai besoin pas > les Velvets. Le posteur Chompsky (nee bobbob treize-treize) a dit de temps en temps qu'il n'aime pas les Velvets.

Seriously, not angry at all. But I believe I bring a different, well, a perspective that doesn't involve drinking the Wilco Kool-aid. What made me register was the Dylan comment and then the "influence many modern bands" comment.

Wilco is still a secret to most of America, and that's ok, but let's not put them too high on the pedestal just yet.

You my good sir are retarded. I was the one who made that Dylan comment. Clearly you didn

Seems like it hasn't been posted yet

that's because it didn't have to be and it shouldn't have been.

once again, someone move this sorry excuse for a thread/"debate" to "Somebody Else's Song""

he is not a pre-meditated kind of guy. He is just straight out crazy, he could care less about the publicity. It comes with the territory, so he likes to date Mandy Moore or go to Fashion week, that's his right. And for all the unedited crap he might release, there are some gems.

His blog is just an experiment, not a PR tool.

One more time?

Je suis d

Wilco is a secret. Ask the 18-34 demographic about Wilco. What is the average age at a Wilco show? 35? 40?

Most of America couldn't name two Wilco songs, that's sad and pathetic, but true. Sorry, this needs to be balanced out.

shit, I should balance out this post.

Love the direction Wilco is going, thought they were phenomenal this tour, actually have grown fonder of them (does that sound right?) since YFH.

So..there.

balance.

Wilco is a secret. Ask the 18-34 demographic about Wilco. What is the average age at a Wilco show? 35? 40?

Most of America couldn't name two Wilco songs, that's sad and pathetic, but true. Sorry, this needs to be balanced out.

shit, I should balance out this post.

Love the direction Wilco is going, thought they were phenomenal this tour, actually have grown fonder of them (does that sound right?) since YFH.

So..there.

balance.

Why does it matter how old the average Wilco fan is? I don't believe that the 25-34 demographic is completely in the dark about Wilco, though I went to a liberal arts university, where EVERYONE knew who Wilco was.

But let's say the average person under 25 doesn't know who Wilco is; how does this matter? is the 25-49 crowd not a viable crowd?

And besides, the consumer doesn't completely determine relevance. To me the people who determine the relevance of a band are the hardcore music fans; the people who tape concerts, the people who write for zines, the people who form bands, the people who do podcasts, the people who are truly passionate about music; Not your average kid who just wedges music on his myspace as an interest between XBOX 360 and football.

I'd hate to be a snob, but that's how I feel about it, and history has proven that. The Clash didn't sell that many records, but they're universally considered important and influential. There are several bands that sold tons of records that are considered joke butts these days.