Wilco in designer clothes

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Adams is one of those "potential" artists.

He could've been a great.

Heartbreaker was a great album; even Gold was pretty cool.

But overall, I think he's a has been that only his hardcore contingent still cares about; outside of alt-country circles, he's a trivia question at this point.

Ryan Adams never was and never will be in Tweedy's league. fin.

But overall, I think he's a has been that only his hardcore contingent still cares about; outside of alt-country circles, he's a trivia question at this point.

Thank you for clarifying everything. Sometimes I get confused with what I like.

Thank you for clarifying everything. Sometimes I get confused with what I like.

Of your 4968 posts, what percentage... blah, blah, fuckity, etc.

I'd just like to repeat that outside of this board, like nobody in the world even knows who Wilco is.

Eh, bullshit.

They've played SNL.

They've won grammies.

They've sold 2 million albums in the states.

Their albums frequently top end of the year lists.

Their songs are in VW commercials.

They're not an unknown band...They've outsold many well respected niche artists like Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips, The Arcade Fire, The Shins, etc etc.

Eh, bullshit.

They've played SNL.

They've won grammies.

They've sold 2 million albums in the states.

Their albums frequently top end of the year lists.

Their songs are in VW commercials.

They're not an unknown band...They've outsold many well respected niche artists like Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips, The Arcade Fire, The Shins, etc etc.

More people know those bands than Wilco for sure.

Ryan Adams never was and never will be in Tweedy's league. fin.

i'm assuming you haven't heard Jacksonville City Nights and/or Cold Roses.

those two are the best batch of songs he's ever written. he has potential, yes, and with those two albums, he has tapped into it.

again, someone move this goddamn thread. haha.

According to Google Fight:

Wilco - 5,590,000 results

Ryan Adams - 3,390,000 results

For perspective:

Tesla - 10,500,000 results

Wilco - 5,590,000 results

Hell, I'm on your side and I don't agree with you bobbob. Wilco has a very large following nowadays.

I'd still say they aren't as well known as any of those bands in the public opinion, except maybe Sonic Youth. The Arcade Fire were in every single magazine for like a year, the Shins were featured in a very popular movie, and the Flaming Lips have been in alot of commercials and "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is a very well known song.

Wilco is pretty big now, but your average person on the streets doesn't know them.

I will say they are probably better known than Ryan Adams, but to compare Tweedy to Dylan and say they are highly influential is just wrong. They are like 86th on the list of most influential artists right now. Somewhere between Kelly Clarkson and Good Charlotte in the big scheme of things.

More people know those bands than Wilco for sure.

Absoutely not. The statistics just don't support it.

Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips have both opened for Wilco because Wilco was the bigger drawing name.

The Shins and The Arcade Fire are pimples on Wilco's bottom in terms of recognition.

Maybe in your age group w/ your friends more people know the other bands, but overall Wilco has more fame than those groups and greater sales.

Absoutely not. The statistics just don't support it.

Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips have both opened for Wilco because Wilco was the bigger drawing name.

The Shins and The Arcade Fire are pimples on Wilco's bottom in terms of recognition.

Maybe in your age group w/ your friends more people know the other bands, but overall Wilco has more fame than those groups and greater sales.

There is no question in my mind that the Shins are more well known than Wilco. Anyone who saw Garden State knows the Shins.

I'd still say they aren't as well known as any of those bands in the public opinion, except maybe Sonic Youth. The Arcade Fire were in every single magazine for like a year, the Shins were featured in a very popular movie, and the Flaming Lips have been in alot of commercials and "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is a very well known song.

Wilco is pretty big now, but your average person on the streets doesn't know them.

I will say they are probably better known than Ryan Adams, but to compare Tweedy to Dylan and say they are highly influential is just wrong. They are like 86th on the list of most influential artists right now. Somewhere between Kelly Clarkson and Good Charlotte in the big scheme of things.

You bring no statistics to back your point. Just your general "Feeling" of the situation.

That "feeling" is mostly based on you being a teenager, who mostly knows other teenagers, which is not a big age group for Wilco. I had tons of college professors who were big Wilco fans.

The statistics show that Wilco has outsold those bands.

Your view of influential is also idiotic. I'm sorry, I don't like to flame, but have you ever heard of The Velvet Underground? You don't have to sell 50 million records to be influential. They sold about 1 million, and are one of the most influential and important bands EVER.

I did a Google Fight - Poison V. Good Charlotte, I won't post the results.

You bring no statistics to back your point. Just your general "Feeling" of the situation.

That "feeling" is mostly based on you being a teenager, who mostly knows other teenagers, which is not a big age group for Wilco. I had tons of college professors who were big Wilco fans.

The statistics show that Wilco has outsold those bands.

not true... the Flaming Lips have outsold Wilco, and the Shins and Arcade Fire are very close to it. Sonic Youth might have as well, i'd have to double check Soundscan. but they're certainly a more well known name than Wilco and are referenced quite often in pop culture.

and you're 24, you don't get to pull the age thing, sorry

There is no question in my mind that the Shins are more well known than Wilco. Anyone who saw Garden State knows the Shins.

Eh. It was a reference in Garden State; it wasn't the whole point of Garden State.

Most people probably just skimmed over that reference and payed it no mind. If it had influenced that many people, The Shins would have gone gold by now, but they haven't last I checked.

According to Google Fight

Wilco: 5,590,000 results

The Shins: 2,000,000 results

Tesla: 10,500,000 results

The Shins: 2,000,000 results

The Velvet Underground: 8,670,000 results

Wilco: 5,590,000 results

And just because I used to work at Borders...here's a weird one for extra measure

Borders: 51,900,000 results

Barnes and Noble: 4,480,000 results

Eh. It was a reference in Garden State; it wasn't the whole point of Garden State.

Most people probably just skimmed over that reference and payed it no mind. If it had influenced that many people, The Shins would have gone gold by now, but they haven't last I checked.

Wincing The Night Away went Gold, their other 2 records are just shy. the Garden State soundtrack went platinum.