Wilco in designer clothes

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah the beauty of personal preference :monkey

taken out of context of the record, there are 2 songs on Funeral that don't stand well on their own (Backseat and Crown of Love), but within the context of the full album they both work well for me. I could take or leave 3 songs on Summerteeth and 1-2 on YHF.

You can have your own personal opinion...but no monkey face, it scares the other animals.

I really like Backseat...agree with Crown of Love...I'd also don't care for "Laika" or "Kettles".

Something about their lyrics (and sometimes their melodies) feels forced to me...

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Ryan Adams making fun of Wilco though?

length of time bands have been around isn't any less of a factor in what makes a band great than album sales, neither really mean shit in the grand scheme.

i'd rather have a band come in and make a huge impact in a short amount of time (Beatles, Pixies, etc.) than bands who far overstay their welcome (Rolling Stones, The Who, etc.).

some of my favorite bands/artists of all time only released 1-2 albums.

and there we disagree; I prefer artists who I enjoy several albums by. Yeah, the Pixies never made an album as bad as some of The Stones worst records, but The Stones had more great records than the Pixies had records period.

Most of my favorite artists The Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Van, Neil, Bowie, The Boss all have at least 5 records I love by them. The Velvet Underground is probably the only band/ artist with less than 5 records that makes my favorites.

Marquee Moon is possibly my favorite album of all time; but that doesn't make Television my favorite band. I think it's important to have quality records, but it's also important to have a quantity of quality.

and there we disagree; I prefer artists who I enjoy several albums by. Yeah, the Pixies never made an album as bad as some of The Stones worst records, but The Stones had more great records than the Pixies had records period.

Most of my favorite artists The Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Van, Neil, Bowie, The Boss all have at least 5 records I love by them. The Velvet Underground is probably the only band/ artist with less than 5 records that makes my favorites.

Marquee Moon is possibly my favorite album of all time; but that doesn't make Television my favorite band. I think it's important to have quality records, but it's also important to have a quantity of quality.

well a band's longevity isn't always their fault or due to controllable circumstances... so it seems a bit silly to fault some bands because of it.

as for the Pixies vs. Stones, blasphemy again, but i'd take the 4 proper Pixies records over any Stones record that's not named Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed. ;)

well a band's longevity isn't always their fault or due to controllable circumstances... so it seems a bit silly to fault some bands because of it.

as for the Pixies vs. Stones, blasphemy again, but i'd take the 4 proper Pixies records over any Stones record that's not named Sticky Fingers or Let It Be. ;)

Get ready for the obligatory internet piling on...

as for the Pixies vs. Stones, blasphemy again, but i'd take the 4 proper Pixies records over any Stones record that's not named Sticky Fingers or Let It Be. ;)

I didn't know the Stones did an album called Let it Be.

It's okay, I have some blasphemous statements of my own that I hold back, because I'm terrible with criticism.

Let me put a close to this with the most relevant google fight

Makes as much sense as this debate

You seem a bit...angry.

I assume You do understand that this is a fan board devoted to all things Wilco.

There is nothing wrong with hyperbole and fan adoration; however, I hardly think this board is haven for your typical 'fanboy'.

There are more that a few uberposters here who express their boredom with the band. (I wish they would be bored somewhere else, but it's not my place to front them up.)

All I can do is speak to what I think and feel.

I have found myself drawn into the Wilco web most involuntarily. I discovered AM right after it came out and have been along for the ride ever since. Met a friend who was heavily into the "Y'allternative scene" and he hooked me up with several boots and live recordings that further drew me in. Now I am a fervent torrenter and even broke my years long aversion to crowds to attend a Wilco show last year. I find Tweedy's writing to be expressive, personal AND impressionistic. Not a Dylan...Not a Springsteen...just a Tweedy...and that is more than enough.

I discovered Ryan Adams with GOLD and was instantly a fan. Those who peg him as solely an AltCountry/Gramm Parsons wannabe are really missing the mark. From Heartbreaker to Easy Tiger he has proven to be a glorious mess. He reminds me of a living example of the WHITE ALBUM...alternatley wonderfully sloppy to remarkable polished. He could use some self editing, but I appreciate the fact that he is a WORKING ARTIST.

I fhink any supposed rivalry is very tongue in cheek these days. Imagine the fun if Ryan Adams started taking potshots at Jay Farrar....

Seriously, not angry at all. But I believe I bring a different, well, a perspective that doesn't involve drinking the Wilco Kool-aid. What made me register was the Dylan comment and then the "influence many modern bands" comment.

Wilco is still a secret to most of America, and that's ok, but let's not put them too high on the pedestal just yet.

Ryan Adams is one of those "potential" artists.

He could've been a great.

Heartbreaker was a great album; even Gold was pretty cool.

But overall, I think he's a has been that only his hardcore contingent still cares about; outside of alt-country circles, he's a trivia question at this point.

Ryan Adams never was and never will be in Tweedy's league. fin.

Jacksonville City Nights is his best release, then Cold Roses. This proves you obviously have no clue about Adams.

Oh, Tweedy's league? May I ask who else is in this "league"?

Jacksonville City Nights is his best release, then Cold Roses. This proves you obviously have no clue about Adams.

Oh, Tweedy's league? May I ask who else is in this "league"?

Who do I think is in Tweedy's league? No one you'd like if you're ranting about Ryan Adams.

But from the past 10 years or so, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith (RIP), Lucinda Williams, Thom Yorke and Wayne Coyne come to mind as other songwriter's I respect on the same level as I do Tweedy. Adams doesn't even register for me.

I think it's kind of sad that we have to have a new Ryan Adams thread every month as I think he's nothing special...but hey, that's the right of the board; freedom of speech. It's also my right to say I think he's a boring, inconsistent artist, who buys into his own hype.

To quote my father (who stole this from someone else) Ryan Adams is a parrot; he does a whole lot of talking and not a lot of flying.

I love Ryan Adams, and IMO Cold Roses is better than Jacksonville City Nights (although I love that album, too).