One-hit wonders

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jimmy Buffett must be the King of all the one-hit wonders. He took one very mediocre song and has built a freakin' empire on it. Resorts, restaurants, and whatever else. I don't get it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One toke over the line, Sweet Jesus, one toke over the line. Sittin' downtown in a railway station one toke over the line"

Contrary to popular myth, Jerry Garcia does NOT play on this song by Brewer & Shipley.

America

geeze, no

america -- for reasons i'll never understand -- had a succession of top-20 hits

sister golden hair ... i need you ... horse with no name ... lonely people ... ventura highway ... you can do magic ... tin man --- all made the top 10

and a bunch of others (daisy jane, don't cross the river, the border, today's the day, etc.) in the top 40

when i think of a one-hit wonder, i think of Daddy Dewdrop, which reached No. 9 in 1971 with Chick-a-Boom and then disappeared

a handful of my favorite 1-hit wonders

Barbara Acklin - Love Makes a Woman

Doris Troy - Just One Look

The Raspberries - Go All the Way (though Eric Carmen had other hits solo)

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

Katrina and the Waves! - Walking on Sunshine!

Bruce Channel - Hey Baby

The Capitols - Cool Jerk

The Five Stairsteps - Ooh Child

There was this band out of England way back ... they had a U.S. #1 hit early in 1964 called "I Want To Hold Your Hand." Then, from what I can tell, they completely disappeared.

The Raspberries - Go All the Way (though Eric Carmen had other hits solo)

no, again

the Raspberries hit No. 1 with Go all the Way but also charted with I Wanna Be with You (No. 16) and Let's Pretend (No. 35) - which were both superior tracks - and also Overnight Sensation (No. 18). And Tonight should have been a smash but only hit 69.

but more than this, the Raspberries were among the most influential and enduring power pop bands, cited by countless bands from the dBs to Guided By Voices as an inspiration

oh, ok. but, surely a true 1 hit wonder needs to have 1 big hit around the world and then drop off the redar everywhere.

There was a series about this - hosted by William Shatner, on VH-1 - if I recall correctly, they would mention the fact that although a band may have been a one hit wonder here, they were actually quite popular elsewhere.