• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Scorpions?

Yes, I like them quite a lot. Klaus is one of my favorite singers, actually. I have all of their albums up through Blackout on my compy right now - just like the kids do it - in Mp3 form!

I have often read that Jimmy Page hates the fact that they are associated with Heavy Metal.

If we are talking musicianship, then it could be that Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (I mean the Glover/Gillian/Lord/Paice/Blackmore version) are better, but power wise, Black Sabbath beats them all.

Do you think someone could get the guitar sound Tony created on Volume 4 today? I think not.

Yeah - I don't really consider Zep, or most of it at least, metal, but one can certainly argue that LZ1 and 2 were seminal in founding the genre.

No, the kind of crunch Sab and others generated - it's a lost art, like pyramid building.

Yeah - I don't really consider Zep, or most of it at least, metal, but one can certainly argue that LZ1 and 2 were seminal in founding the genre.

No, the kind of crunch Sab and others generated - it's a lost art, like pyramid building.

Of course, we mean the original dudes - although the Ronnie James (first time around) stuff is alright.

bonham's drumming is the x factor in this debate...it is the very definition of heavy. i can consider them metal, but i agree that it's not the first band that comes to mind when using the term.

Of course, we mean the original dudes - although the Ronnie James (first time around) stuff is alright.

Yes. I do like "Heaven and Hell" and most of "Mob Rules."

Yes. I do like "Heaven and Hell" and most of "Mob Rules."

Much like Roger with The Byrds, old Tony would not give up. I gave up after the Gillian album. They are actually doing a new album with Dio right now - after becoming tired of waiting on Ozzy - so I have read.

Much like Roger with The Byrds, old Tony would not give up. I gave up after the Gillian album. They are actually doing a new album with Dio right now - after becoming tired of waiting on Ozzy - so I have read.

Don't blame them - not sure how much Ozzy has left in the tank. When I saw them in '99, Ozzy looked like he was running on one or two brain cells, at most. Band sounded great, though.

:o

That was the only way I could get them.

You notice something about their songs - when you listen to all of them in a row. They began by doing songs mainly about life and various things of that nature. As time went on, their songs became about: touring, sex-fuck, missing the woman who they hoped was not sex-fucking while they were gone, and explaining to the woman why they had to sex-fuck while they were touring. Now, they are back to writing psychological songs about life and whatnot.

Edited by Analogman

A little off topic....

My friend Dan has a book coming out in a couple weeks called All Known Metal Bands.

25913454.jpg

Synopsis

This volume contains the names of over 50,000 metal bands. Presuming that each of these bands had an average of four members, and multipling that by the number of bands, one might figure that at least a quarter of a million humans have pledged allegiance to one of them at some point is his or her lifetime. Never has a genre of music relegated to the underground of a civilization had so many devotees; no radio needs to transmit the power of this music, for it is sought out fiercely and freely by the doomed and the dispossessed, whose ears are never soiled by songs of love and weakness.

McSweeney's is releasing it. :rock

That's cool as hell Mrs. Peel. :thumbup Thanks for the heads up - that sounds like something I'd enjoy.

i guess it all depends on when you came of age/were introduced to metal in how you define your metal bands. i would call black sabbath and motorhead metal bands, but wouldn't pick them as the top two, but that's probably because i came of metal age in the late 80s when their time had already gone from the spotlight (although i would guess they should be the top two).

i would instead say metallica and ac/dc, but that's probably because they were in the spotlight when i came of age.

guns -n- roses is a hair band in my book, right up there with poison, def leppard, l.a. guns, and motley crue. g-n-r is definitely a lot grittier and raunchier than def leppard, but those guys still teased their hair, wore make-up, used a lot of hairspray, and made sure they had videos for Mtv with scantily glad girls in them.

i guess it all depends on when you came of age/were introduced to metal in how you define your metal bands

Right. My 2 are Metallica and Pantera. They helped define about 1/3 of my life.

favorite metal bands, based on listening frequency:

Fantômas

Iron Maiden

Motrohead

Diamond Head

Black Sabbath

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate

Metallica

Voivod

Slayer

Pantera

Helloween

and in past year, I've been getting into Mastadon

I've seem Motorhead twice, once in the early 90's and again in the late 90's and I'm not exxagerating when I say that there were as many punks as metal heads at both shows. They have tremendous crossover appeal. Punks also really love Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate. Another real tricky area is what is referred to as crossover. Those shows in the late 80's early 90's often violently pitted punks against hoods. Bands like the Cro Mags and DRI come to mind.

favorite metal bands, based on listening frequency:

Fantômas

Iron Maiden

Motrohead

Diamond Head

Black Sabbath

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate

Metallica

Voivod

Slayer

Pantera

Helloween

and in past year, I've been getting into Mastadon

Ryan has been posting about Voivod on his blog as of late.

Ryan has been posting about Voivod on his blog as of late.

They do an absolutely great job covering Syd/Floyd's "Astronomy Domine".

wow, I need to check that out.

I think he was friends with the one that died a few years ago - there is some mention of him in the liner notes in 29 - I think. He is also showing off his B.C. Rich guitars.

Iron Maiden: Live After Death

Disc one contains the recording of this full 90 minute concert. Originally filmed on 35mm, the footage comes alive on DVD resulting in a visually stunning film. The disc also carries two sound options - the original concert audio specially mixed into 5.1 Surround Sound by Kevin Shirley, Maiden's producer since 1999, plus the original stereo sound track by Martin Birch, the band's producer from 1981 to 1993.

Disc two has Part 2 of the 'History of Iron Maiden', continuing on the Maiden story from "The Early Days" DVD, along with rare and unseen bonus footage in the form of BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN, ROCK IN RIO '85, and 'ELLO TEXAS, all in all giving a total running time of well over three hours.

guns -n- roses is a hair band in my book, right up there with poison, def leppard, l.a. guns, and motley crue.

not really...if you use the hair/make-up as the only basis, are the NY Dolls hair metal? even if that is the case, they only did the full-fledged glam look early in their career...their music, was definitely not nearly infused w/ as much pop sensibility as a leppard. really same goes for early Poison, L.A. Guns and Motley Crue.

i could give you a list 20 bands deep more representative of the popular definition of hair metal than those.