• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider Led Zep, Deep Purple or Black Sabbath as metal but rather predecessors to metal. Therefore my voye would go to Metallica and Iron maiden. Although Dokken (rhymes with Rockin'!) have a place in my heart!

And AC/DC is not metal at all. They are rock and roll to the bone.

Judas Priest Finally Takes On 'Nostradamus'

Judas Priest

April 16, 2008, 10:40 AM ET

Greg Prato, N.Y.

Over two years in the making, Judas Priest will finally unveil its 16th studio album, "Nostradamus," June 17 via Epic in North America and a day earlier internationally.

A double-disc set that tells the story of the 16th century prophet, Michel de Nostredame (whose name is often 'Latinized' as Nostradamus), the release is Priest's first-ever concept album, and was recorded throughout 2006 and 2007 at Old Smithy Studio in the U.K.

"Making 'Nostradamus' was a new experience for us in Judas Priest, insomuch as this was going to be a conceptual writing and recording event," Priest singer Rob Halford tells Billboard.com. "His life is well-documented, so for us it was all about taking the significant episodes he went through, and then with the right emotion, create music and lyrics that would convey them."

On the album, Halford, guitarists K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton, bassist Ian Hill, and drummer Scott Travis spread their stylistic wings, experimenting with symphonic orchestration and choirs.

Three configurations of "Nostradamus" will be issued. The most common will be a regular jewel-cased double CD, but there will also be a "CD deluxe hardbound version," which features a 48-page booklet, while a "super deluxe version" will include three vinyl records (in addition to the CD deluxe packaging, plus a poster).

While there have been some European dates announced in support of "Nostradamus" (the chief one being a performance as part of this year's Download Festival in England, which also features Kiss and Motorhead, among others), there will soon be an announcement about Priest's plans for a U.S. tour.

In the meantime, Halford dropped a hint as to what's in store for the group's later headline dates. "As we recorded and listened to the music, and much like a lot of Priest songs, you cannot help but see images in your mind. We constantly thought about special effects and visual elements that will connect musically that we want to use onstage when we will perform all of 'Nostradamus' live," he says. "Again, like every song we compose, the transition from studio to concert is one we think about and make sure we can deliver the goods."

Here is the track list for "Nostradamus":

Dawn of Creation

"PROPHECY"

Awakening

"REVELATIONS"

The Four Horsemen

"WAR"

Sands of Time

"PESTILENCE AND PLAGUE"

"DEATH"

Peace

"CONQUEST"

"LOST LOVE"

"PERSECUTION"

Solitude

"EXILED"

"ALONE"

Shadows In the Flame

"VISIONS"

Hope

"NEW BEGINNINGS"

Calm Before the Storm

"NOSTRADAMUS"

"FUTURE OF MANKIND"

I forgot that Halford rejoined Judas Priest. I really liked his first post-Priest band, Fight. I saw them on tour with Motorhead.

For several years now - like The Scorpions, they have some younger dude playing drums. Of course, they have always had a problem with drummers.

yeah, I know the one drummer was in Fight, but unlike Halford, he never came back.

I recall reading somewhere that they use to employ a hidden drummer under the stage - to make the one they had sound heavier during live shows.

Three configurations of "Nostradamus" will be issued. The most common will be a regular jewel-cased double CD, but there will also be a "CD deluxe hardbound version," which features a 48-page booklet, while a "super deluxe version" will include three vinyl records (in addition to the CD deluxe packaging, plus a poster).

This seems like overkill, for a band 25 years past their prime.

This seems like overkill, for a band 25 years past their prime.

You see that more and more now - bands like them are always big in Europe - even though they are not so much here. I see Motley Crue also announced a new album and tour recently. I wonder how Mick Mars is going to deal with a tour.

This took about a 3-second Google search:

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/heavymetal1...101_history.htm

Although there are debates among experts, most consider groups like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple to be the first heavy metal bands. From there the style evolved and branched into many different genres and subgenres.
This took about a 3-second Google search:

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/heavymetal1...101_history.htm

ThaT article made me think of two "newer" metal bands that I like very much. St. Vitus from the 80's and EYEHATEGOd from the 90's/ early 2000's. Buzzoven from around these parts were pretty great as well.

ThaT article made me think of two "newer" metal bands that I like very much. St. Vitus from the 80's and EYEHATEGOd from the 90's/ early 2000's. Buzzoven from around these parts were pretty great as well.

I just recently dusted off my Buzzoven cd's - good stuff.

Considering that most Metal bands struggle with consistency I'd put Metallica top. Just feel that they have more to them than most Metal bands and a bigger and better back catalogue. I even liked St. Anger.

Honoury mention for Spinal Tap

Judas Priest Leads Summer 'Metal Masters' Tour

Judas Priest

April 21, 2008, 10:45 AM ET

Greg Prato, N.Y.

Judas Priest will lead the bill for the first "Metal Masters" tour this summer, which will also feature Heaven & Hell, Motorhead and Testament. The Live Nation-sponsored trek begins Aug. 6 in Camden, N.J.

"We insisted on a classic metal package which is what we've got -- I will enjoy seeing all the bands," Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford tells Billboard.com. Ticket on-sale information can be found at LiveNation.com/judaspriest.

As previously reported, Judas Priest plans to perform its upcoming album, "Nostradamus," in its entirety during a fall headlining tour, but the band will debut some of the new songs during "Metal Masters." Starting today (April 21), fans can download the title track for free through the Live Nation site.

Halford promises the "Metal Masters" sets will feature "a combination of Priest classics -- including songs from our catalog never before played live."

Priest will not be the only band on the bill with a new release on the racks, as Heaven & Hell will be plugging a five-CD box set to be issued July 22 via Rhino, "The Rules of Hell" (and credited to Black Sabbath instead of Heaven & Hell).

The box will include remastered versions of all four of the classic Ronnie James Dio/Black Sabbath recordings: 1980's "Heaven & Hell," 1981's "Mob Rules," 1982's "Live Evil" and 1992's "Dehumanizer."

Meanwhile, Testament will on April 29 release "The Formation of Damnation" via Nuclear Blast. The album marks the first time that most of the band's original lineup have recorded an all-new studio album since 1992's "The Ritual."

The box will include remastered versions of all four of the classic Ronnie James Dio/Black Sabbath recordings: 1980's "Heaven & Hell," 1981's "Mob Rules," 1982's "Live Evil" and 1992's "Dehumanizer."

Why in the heaven and hell did they not do this instead of releasing that single disc anthology? MONEY, of course.