I'm glad to see "Live Evil" get remastered. I thought the production ruined what could have been a fine album.

It's really a shame there was never a live release from the Ozzy years (discounting that bootlggish "Live at Last").

Also, if this tour hits my area I don't know how I could not be there. :rock

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see "Live Evil" get remastered. I thought the production ruined what could have been a fine album.

It's really a shame there was never a live release from the Ozzy years (discounting that bootlggish "Live at Last").

Also, if this tour hits my area I don't know how I could not be there. :rock

There is this:

Past Lives is a live album released in 2002 by Black Sabbath. The first disc was previously known as Live at Last, an album not put out by Black Sabbath's record company, and therefore not an official Black Sabbath album. The second consists of recordings made for television and radio, previously only available on bootlegs.

Tracks CD1: 1-9 were recorded at the Hardrock in Manchester, England on Mar 11, 1973 and the Rainbow Theatre in London, England on Mar 16, 1973. It is not known which tracks came from which of these two concerts.

Tracks CD2: 1, 5-9 were recorded at the Olympia Theatre in Paris, France - Dec 20, 1970.

Tracks CD2: 2-4 were recorded at Asbury Park Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey - Aug 6, 1975. The whole concert was recorded by King Biscuit and this was originally to be the release, titled "Live In '75" when mentioned in several magazine articles giving advance notice, before it became "Past Lives".

Yeah, I do have Live At Last and a live show supposedly from 8/5/75. Both are really good, but the Live At Last definitely sounds like a boot.

Well not the best all time but there are some bands out there making very good music currenttly like:

Mastodon

Baroness

Opeth

High On Fire

Probably my four fav current bands in that genre who's prime has not passed them by.

Helter Skelter was one of the first heavy metal songs.

Cream, Blue Cheer, You Really Got Me, Satisfaction, and various Who songs all pre-date that song - yes?

You are correct. In fact, The Beatles did "Helter Skelter" as a sort of inside joke to prove that they could be as loud and as heavy as bands like Cream and The Who.

Well not the best all time but there are some bands out there making very good music currenttly like:

Mastodon

Baroness

Opeth

High On Fire

Probably my four fav current bands in that genre who's prime has not passed them by.

I have heard Mastodon is good. I like Amon Amarth, but that's just about it as far as me and current metal go.

I have heard Mastodon is good. I like Amon Amarth, but that's just about it as far as me and current metal go.

I almost listed Amon Amarth and made my list a top 5. I do like those guys a lot. except when they do the cheesy in unison headbanging that is just kind of funny looking

Helter Skelter was one of the first heavy metal songs.

Cream, Blue Cheer, You Really Got Me, Satisfaction, and various Who songs all pre-date that song - yes?

don't forget The Yardbirds, too!!!

don't forget The Yardbirds, too!!!

Oh I am not saying those bands were heavy metal - but rather influences. Yes, I guess The Yardies are an influence on heavy metal, but to me they were one of the first British Power Blues bands.

If I could offer a different perspective--my opinion of heavy metal is derived from 2 sources: (1) the bands I listened to in junior high (sabbath, priest, ozzy solo, iron maiden, motley crue (first 2 albums), dio, metallica (first 3 albums) and (2) my perspective as a guitar player.

I would never, based on source no. 2, consider ac/dc or led zeppelin as metal bands. I think of ac/dc as just good loud rock n roll, and zeppelin spans hard rock to heavy blues to alternate tuning acoustic, to catchy hard rock.

When I think "metal" I think iron maiden, judas priest, black sabbath, metallica (I don't know enough of motorhead to offer an opinion). I mean that in the sense of common elements in the guitar playing. Both speed, power chords and subject matter

It's a tough call. I think one has to define the parameters of "heavy metal" for the thread to have any meaning.

I agree with most of that, but I think of AC/DC as metal, by association if nothing else. So to focus my definition a bit, I would say metal includes any band considered metal by the kids who hung out in the "smoking lounge" at F.D. Roosevelt High School, Hyde Park, N.Y., from 1981-85. That includes AC/DC and Van Halen, which are admittedly borderline cases.

understood. I think that how it's defined matters most. Some of the bands mentioned as "metal" herein really only flirted with same, as opposed to other bands/artists who would define themselves without hesitation as being in the metal genre.

another really great metal band is Nile. I love that egyption death metal that they make.

I noticed no real love in this thread for the more extreme metal bands doing black or death metal. That is too bad some of those bands are extremly talented.

I agree with most of that, but I think of AC/DC as metal, by association if nothing else. So to focus my definition a bit, I would say metal includes any band considered metal by the kids who hung out in the "smoking lounge" at F.D. Roosevelt High School, Hyde Park, N.Y., from 1981-85. That includes AC/DC and Van Halen, which are admittedly borderline cases.

Not to go off on a side road, but high school smoking areas bring back tons of memories. I'm sure there isn't one left in the country now right? I mean how did they even exist when they did? It's always been 18 right? There was a smoking area at my high school when I graduated in '92, and I know it existed for several years beyond that. This really was the place that the hoods and miscreants hung out, just like in "Freaks and Geeks." That was always the first place you went the morning after a big concert to see how many people had on shirts from the night before and to trade notes. I remember dying to know who would be the most represented from the Clash Of the Titans tour: Slayer, Megadeth or Anthrax. At my school it was Slayer by a mile, they were also the favortite of my junior year auto mechanics course.

If I recall, during my HS years - 1980-1984, it was Ozzy, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. I've said this before, but I did not really get into metal until 1985 - as a kid/teenager, I listened to the same music I prefer now, music from the 60s.

Not to go off on a side road, but high school smoking areas bring back tons of memories. I'm sure there isn't one left in the country now right? I mean how did they even exist when they did? It's always been 18 right? There was a smoking area at my high school when I graduated in '92, and I know it existed for several years beyond that. This really was the place that the hoods and miscreants hung out, just like in "Freaks and Geeks." That was always the first place you went the morning after a big concert to see how many people had on shirts from the night before and to trade notes. I remember dying to know who would be the most represented from the Clash Of the Titans tour: Slayer, Megadeth or Anthrax. At my school it was Slayer by a mile, they were also the favortite of my junior year auto mechanics course.
This has got to be one of the coolest posts I've ever read. I thoroughly enjoyed it! They had a smoking area at my HS until '96 or so.

Reading this thread reminded me of something. Way back when, Glenn and I talked about Metallica and how hard it would be to play the drums for them. He then loaned me one of his books. It was how to play the Metallica's ...And Justice For All songs with a cassette tape to help you. I remember looking through the book and seeing how hard it was, but at the same time thinking the songs were evil. I don't know why, but I thought playing them would be evil. I quickly dismissed that thought, but couldn't really play Metallica. Oh well.....then again it would have been cool to see him play those songs with the long hair and all.

• 3 weeks later...
Ozzy, Metallica, Tankian Join One-Off Ozzfest

Ozzy Osbourne

May 13, 2008, 1:00 PM ET

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Jonathan Davis of Korn, Serj Tankian, Hellyeah, Sevendust and Shadows Fall, among others, are scheduled to appear at this year's one-off Ozzfest, to be held Aug. 9 at Pizza Hut Park in Dallas.

Other main stage acts on the bill are Cavalera Conspiracy, Apocalyptica, In This Moment and an all-star tribute to late Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Second stage acts are Devildriver, Kingdom of Sorrow, Soilent Green, Witchcraft and Goatwhore. The Sword, Drowning Pool and Rigor Mortis will handle duties on the third stage.

"We're going to be a stadium destination festival for now -- we have gone past doing the sheds every summer," says Ozzy's wife, Sharon Osbourne, who is producing Ozzfest with AEG Live. "We've given everyone else the blueprint and we have to keep evolving Ozzfest. This is just the beginning; AEG Live and I have a lot of new ideas for Ozzfest."

Ozzfest will be Osbourne's only concert performance this summer. Tickets for the one-day festival will go on sale May 31 via Ozzfest.com; prices have not yet been announced.

Last year, the Osbournes created a stir when they revealed the Live Nation-produced Ozzfest would be a sponsor-driven, free event, and acts would be asked to play without being paid. The 25-date amphitheater tour featured such artists as Lamb Of God, Hatebreed and Lordi, among others.

another really great metal band is Nile. I love that egyption death metal that they make.

I noticed no real love in this thread for the more extreme metal bands doing black or death metal. That is too bad some of those bands are extremly talented.

Back in my suburban freak/stoner daze, I was afraid of King Diamond. That whole satantic angle still wigs me out a bit.