Favorite '90s alternative radio hits

Wow. I knew I listened to the radio alot in the 90s, but this list has made me realized that I reeeeealllllly listened to the radio alot then. There was a great alternative station at that time out of Lawrence, Kansas, that I really enjoyed (105.9 the Lazer). Anybody else an ex-fan? I also was exposed to a lot of country, pop, and hair metal, but we won't even go there! Now, isn't anybody gonna mention STP? I wasn't a huge fan, but they were all over the radio in the 90s. And what about that tune "Box Full of Letters" - anybody else remember that one from 90s radio? I think I'd better go call my sister up now and ask to borrow her VHS of Reality Bites! :lol

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be on soul seek all night updating itunes now...

these songs bring back great memories of high school (90-93) and college (93-97)... wow.

there was a cover of a men at work song 'overkill' that i thought was great cicra 95-96...

as far as albums go i think i listened to august and everything after about 10k times my frosh year... never got into the Dave Matthews stuff that was super popular.

here and now - letters to cleo

spaceman - 4 non blondes

sleeping satellite - tasmin archer

choose - color me badd

fall down - toad the wet sprocket

low - cracker

save tonight - evil eye cherrie

am i wrong - love spit love

if i had no loot - tony toni tone

be with you - mr big

my side of the bed - susanna hoffs

good - better than ezra

laid - james

name - goo goo dolls

ah, i'll stop for the moment :lol

Not alternative, or particularly good, but:

Snow - Informer

Ini Kamoze - Here Comes The Hotstepper

and, possibly UK only:

Mark Morrison - Return of the Mac

Chaka Demus and Pliers - Tease Me

In the alternative stakes I seem to remember liking a song by Shonen Knife, and then there was always the Teenage Fanclub-affiliated BMX Bandits with 'Kylie's Got A Crush On Us'.

What a great thread. Happy that I remember all of these songs, and agree with all of them except for that godawful 4nonblondes crap and Mr Big (wtf??) And I love No Myth, but that came out in '88 or '89, about the same time as Love & Rockets had their only U.S. hit ("So Alive"), and Jesus & Mary Chain released the still rocking "Head On".

Matthew Sweet--Girlfriend

Eels--Novacaine for the Soul

Cowboy Mouth--Move Upside Let the Man Go Thru (actual name of song?)

the Lemonheads--It's A Shame About Ray

LOL that isn't Cowboy Mouth, that's Soul Coughing, and it's called Super Bonbon. Cowboy Mouth's hit was Jenny Says.

Toadies - "Possum Kingdom" (but also "I Come From the Water", "Away", etc.)

TYLER

You cannot mention Toadies without mentioning Tyler. That song is so deliciously dark, and it rocks so damn hard.

I stumble in the hallway

outside her bedroom door

I hear her call out to me

I hear the fear in her voice

She pulls the covers tighter

I press against the door

I will be with her tonight!

Also, for Belly/Tanya Donnelly fans, it wasn't much of a hit, but I do still love Throwing Muses' - Not Too Soon, which was the first time I remember hearing Tanya on vocals.

I think most of the other songs I'd mention are taken, so I'm stuck with:

Ash - Basically all of 1977, but I guess I'd pick Goldfinger, Girl from Mars, or Kung Fu

and you have to mention Daft Punk (Around the World) and The Crystal Method (Get Busy Child).

I'll probably think of 30 more when I close this thread.

Filter "Hey man nice shot"

Detroit radio made this into a stanley cup celebration song.

What was the other Filter song that went.... "Heyyyyyy daaaad... what do you think about your son now?"

Edit - Found It

This thread is bringing back great memories of being a radio dj at Central Michigan for a summer. I got asked not to come back because I kept changing their cookie cutter playlist. I'd always open up with Radiohead's "Lucky" too. I played the shit out of Cake's "The Distance".

I'd like to add these:

Cracker - Low

Orbit - Medicine

Vervepipe - Freshman

Fun Lovin' Criminals - Scoobie Snacks

Sparks are Gonna Fly-Catherine Wheel

dude, i saw you were the last post and automatically thought i need to come in here and post a Catherine Wheel song. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention them on this board but you had a Catherine Wheel song on your mix from the last ysi thread. I noticed this because i lost all 4 of my disks to the "melting plastic in my cd case in the summer" syndrome and never bought them again.

so ...

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic (or Waydown)

Cumbersome --- Seven Mary Three

Interstate Love Song --- Stone Temple Pilots

TYLER

You cannot mention Toadies without mentioning Tyler. That song is so deliciously dark, and it rocks so damn hard.

I stumble in the hallway

outside her bedroom door

I hear her call out to me

I hear the fear in her voice

She pulls the covers tighter

I press against the door

I will be with her tonight!

:worship :thumbup

Love me some Toadies...