Songs you want played at your funeral

That song was my first thought. Although I'd go with Jeff Buckley's version - which I'm shocked nobody mentioned.

you just reminded me that another one of my songs i want played is Jeff's version of 'Satisfied Mind' (which may eventually become Justin Vernon (Bon Iver)'s version in time ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since I figure I am going first...everyone can come try out their songs at my funeral first....see how they sound.

Oh man, don't say that!

For me, I'm thinking side 2 of Braxton's "Series F" record. Heh heh. That would be something, yes?

Built to Spill - Randy Described Eternity or Made-Up Dreams

Or anything from Perfect From Now On for that matter.

Randy Described Eternity:

every thousand years

this metal sphere

ten times the size of Jupiter

floats just a few yards past the earth

you climb on your roof

and take a swipe at it

with a single feather

hit it once every thousand years

`til you've worn it down

to the size of a pea

yeah I'd say that's a long time

but it's only half a blink

in the place you're gonna be

where you gonna be

where will you spend eternity

I'm gonna be perfect from now on

I'm gonna be perfect starting now

stop making that sound

stop making that sound

I will say I forgot it

but it was only yesterday

and it's all you had to say

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Mountain Bed is great, but people hearing it for the first time wouldn't get it.

Mountain Bed has a feeling to it, a sense of finality on first listen, that getting it wouldn't be necessary.

Of course you could piss off the presiding pastor/priest/officiating clergy and play Theologians.

Hallelujah ... that's so good I would I would have thought of it.

Another ceremony of finality: I tried to get the pastor to O.K. "When I'm 64" for a song at my wedding, but he squelched it. I think that's a pragmatic wedding song, without quite the sentiment of "Grow Old Along with Me," which I couldn't slip past him either.

When I got to my very best friend's funeral I was there first. They were playing Johnny Mathis' kitten up a tree song when I asked if they had a cd player. No came the answer but I do have a cassett player. The whole wake was nothing but live Dead. No pun intended. I had a Dicks Picks 3 in my truck for some reason on tape and it played through out. That was the coolest thing I'd ever done and just didn't give a f**k what all the "blue haired ladies in their wheelchairs" thought. I new Billy would want Jerry there. Years later it's still talked about in funeral lore of Southeast CT.

Me I want "Tonight's The Night" played once for my close friends and family. That's it. No words no tears. Now bury my dead ass. Cause I'm gone and nothin's gonna bring me back. Not even Neil. B)

Rainbow connection sends my eyes to a wet place.I miss Kermit. Didn't they have a tv show once?

First off, great thread. My wife and I have been talking about this very thing lately.

Since someone mentioned Kermit, I don't feel as silly mentioning this. Anyone know "When the River Meets the Sea" from Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas? My mom has always said she wants it played at her funeral. A great, sad song. I just wish I could find a recording of someone other than a Muppet performing it...........

When the mountain touches the valley

All the clouds are taught to fly

As our souls will leave this land most peacefully

Though our minds be filled with questions

In our hearts we'll understand

When the river meets the sea

Like a flower that has blossomed

In this dry and barren sand

We are born and born again most gracefully

Plus the winds of time will take us

With a sure and steady hand

Patience my brothers

And patience my son

In that sweet and final hour

Truth and justice will be done

Like a baby when it is sleeping

In its mother's loving arms

What a newborn baby dreams is a mystery (a mystery)

But this life will find a purpose

And in time we'll understand

When the river meets the almighty sea

As for me, I'm still working on my list, but it will definitely include both Dixieland Jazz Funeral style songs and good old fashioned bluegrass spirituals.

Is the whoa a good thing?

MOST DEFINITELY!!! I love ALL three of those songs more than I could ever express. I have Kermit singing on my MySpace!

A perfect combination, I'd say. And as Loretta said, I'd be crying even if I didn't know the departed.

First off, great thread. My wife and I have been talking about this very thing lately.

Since someone mentioned Kermit, I don't feel as silly mentioning this. Anyone know "When the River Meets the Sea" from Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas? My mom has always said she wants it played at her funeral. A great, sad song. I just wish I could find a recording of someone other than a Muppet performing it...........

My band used to play Bar-B-Que from that movie. Prob not fit for a funeral, though.