My Morning Jacket...

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

Has anybody seen Ray LaMontagne w/ MMJ backing him up yet? I've got tickets for Labor Day weekend & am looking forward to the show. Warming up for this one with 2 Wilco shows, haha. Luckily I have a day to recover before Ray.

• 3 years later...

I would have liked to make these Red Rocks shows, but I got shut out for tix.  I mean literally, I got ZERO tickets even offered and I tried ALL the presales and onsales and all that shit when they went on sale.

Looks like they played well and Jim looks really healthy from photos I saw, he lost a bunch of weight.  I'm glad they did these shows, but are they really back?  Seems more like a handful of reunion shows than the band really being a permanent full time band again.  I am not holding out hope they will fully return with MMJ as the full time main gig of all the players.  I hope that happens, but its not looking that way to me.  i hope I'm wrong and this is just the teaser to a coming end of the hiatus back to full time touring.  I haven't seen them since frickin' 2015! 

• 10 months later...

Reviving this thread to ask a question (that it looks like Shug was asking almost a year ago):

Anyone get the feeling that Jim has lost a lot of interest in MMJ over the last couple years?

ya. he still brings it live from what i can tell but you can pretty much tell that MMJ isn't his primary focus anymore. i saw the rest of the band back Ray LaMontagne & they were excellent. way more interesting than Ray himself. maybe the band & Jim just needed a break from the grind. we'll hope for the best!

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the webcast premiere of the album tonight. I really enjoyed the Waterfall 2 - very psychedelic overall. Jim's singing is sounding a lot more akin to the earlier records, as far as the tone and production (to me it's a lot less of the newer distorted vocal sound and a lot more clear, high, reverb-y and ethereal sounding - he really nails the soul sound on some of the tracks here too). I loved the arrangements, felt like a lot of new territory here but also some of the familiar rock n' roll elements. I'm stoked to hear it again when it's out tomorrow.

It's not exactly the same as the first edition but it reminds me of my overall impression of the older one: it's kind of grand, and dense. Sometimes there's huge payoffs, sometimes it kind of wanders, but it's always worth a listen.

Anyone get the feeling that Jim has lost a lot of interest in MMJ over the last couple years?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/kyle-meredith-with-my-morning-jacket/

Not only is Water Fall II out (and pretty great), they've already recently finished recording a proper new album and were chomping at the bit to hit the road again. How wrong I was!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:14 AM, tongue-tied lightning said:

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up there with Wilco. Should I dare say, sometimes I love them more.   

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was among my favorite times we've seen them. Can't wait for the new record.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This new one is interesting. Whether all of it clicks with me (some of it does), or not (some of it doesn't). Whatever path they took to inspiration is their own and I'm glad they took their journey.

They've made their first actual 'jam band' record in terms of process. The others have been pretty carefully crafted, this one has some real 'dudes riffing in the room' strategy. This yields some mixed results in my eyes, especially clear in the back-to-back tracks "Devil Is in the Details" and "Lucky to be Alive".

"Devil" has a sense to me that it could go anywhere and any minute of music is not particularly important to the compositional whole. They're just jamming.

"Lucky" however has an arc that would be hard to imagine scripting with just one person sitting alone in a room. The moves are satisfying and feel like they emerge from the chemistry between the players.

Also, I can do without more velvety 70's funk, but I know those guys (and many of the fans) have fun with that side of things.

6 hours ago, lost highway said:

This new one is interesting. Whether all of it clicks with me (some of it does), or not (some of it doesn't). Whatever path they took to inspiration is their own and I'm glad they took their journey.

They've made their first actual 'jam band' record in terms of process. The others have been pretty carefully crafted, this one has some real 'dudes riffing in the room' strategy. This yields some mixed results in my eyes, especially clear in the back-to-back tracks "Devil Is in the Details" and "Lucky to be Alive".

"Devil" has a sense to me that it could go anywhere and any minute of music is not particularly important to the compositional whole. They're just jamming.

"Lucky" however has an arc that would be hard to imagine scripting with just one person sitting alone in a room. The moves are satisfying and feel like they emerge from the chemistry between the players.

Also, I can do without more velvety 70's funk, but I know those guys (and many of the fans) have fun with that side of things.

The concert on youtube was amazing. Carl Broemel is rapidly moving up the favorit guitarist list.

9 hours ago, chuckrh said:

The concert on youtube was amazing. Carl Broemel is rapidly moving up the favorit guitarist list.

Yeah, he seems like a pretty great combination of having his own identity, having huge chops, but being thrilled to serve the song whether it's really basic, or more technical. Great taste, great tone, seems a great dude. He comes from the 90's midwest emo scene so that makes him a brother in my little tribe.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, Muzzle of Dan said:

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was among my favorite times we've seen them. Can't wait for the new record.

I went to that show too and I concur.  If you want answers to a lot of the questions we were asking or theories we were posting in this thread the last two years, the Relix mag. cover story pretty much answers them all.

My Morning Jacket did pretty much break up or at least indefinite hiatus but they reassessed, worked it out, got stoked and they are back big time!  It was clear as can be in that performance that they are loving being MMJ again, they understand what they have to offer the world and how precious it is to them.  It was my first show since 2015, everything about it from the band's performance to the crowd, the venue, the road trip over from AZ with friends, was a big welcome back celebration.

Where's the next show???  More multi-night runs are what they are mentioning to make touring better for them and more sustainable as a lifestyle.  I'm all for it, did you see the setlists from three nights in Chicago last week?  Killer!

11 hours ago, Shug said:

I went to that show too and I concur.  If you want answers to a lot of the questions we were asking or theories we were posting in this thread the last two years, the Relix mag. cover story pretty much answers them all.

My Morning Jacket did pretty much break up or at least indefinite hiatus but they reassessed, worked it out, got stoked and they are back big time!  It was clear as can be in that performance that they are loving being MMJ again, they understand what they have to offer the world and how precious it is to them.  It was my first show since 2015, everything about it from the band's performance to the crowd, the venue, the road trip over from AZ with friends, was a big welcome back celebration.

Where's the next show???  More multi-night runs are what they are mentioning to make touring better for them and more sustainable as a lifestyle.  I'm all for it, did you see the setlists from three nights in Chicago last week?  Killer!

Really hoping we get a multi-night LA run in 2022!

I had a friend who went to Chicago and I was very jealous of those crazy setlists, however I'm grateful for that SB show. It was pure joy. Where To Begin in SB was just like ultimate bliss. Glad to know a fellow witness to the glory of that show. Grateful they found what they needed to keep the magic alive.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Muzzle of Dan said:

Really hoping we get a multi-night LA run in 2022!

I had a friend who went to Chicago and I was very jealous of those crazy setlists, however I'm grateful for that SB show. It was pure joy. Where To Begin in SB was just like ultimate bliss. Glad to know a fellow witness to the glory of that show. Grateful they found what they needed to keep the magic alive.

The  Wiltern Theater run in 2012, I think, was so fantastic with all the covers they were playing then (It Makes No Difference, Rocket Man), a return to that venue would stoke me.  Pantages in Hollywood? Ace Theater downtown?  Something like that is probably gonna happen.