My Morning Jacket...

Here's a good AUD recording from the PHX show.  MMJ have been doing songs from Jim James solo projects for the first time on this tour and this show had the only version so far of the Monsters Of Folk song The Right Place.

https://archive.org/details/mmj2015-10-20.at853

I have come to love the song Slow Slow Tune even more than before, I think its the best song on Circuital.  Its got that Gilmour-like slide guitar and Floydian lethargic psychedelic feel with a kind of 50s crooner song structure, a good and weird combination!  I also am really impressed with the Philly soul sound of Only Memories Remain, its surprising to me how well they pull off so many diverse styles.

Tropics and Spring were also highlights, and like Slow Slow Tune, Victory Dance is getting better and better with some heavy heavy riffing on this tour.  You folks in the Northeast are gonna get them in top form this November.  I am really jonesing for more shows especially since I didn't get to see Wilco at all this year.  So wish I was hitting the Beacon or Orpheum next month!

Rumours are the next album was about 75% finished already, they will finish it up probably in early 2016, release it by the end of the year and hit 2017 hard with touring, but still doing some live shows in 2016 like maybe a two night stand at Red Rocks in May and maybe some more West Coast shows in early 2016. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

The first night in SF and the first night in Austin they started the show with 6 acoustic songs, I'm guessing they will probably do that in Boston and NYC, too, so if you like that side of them you have a pretty good chance of hearing it if you are going to the first night.  They are also doing some of that New Basement Tapes stuff as well, scattered through the shows.  So a couple songs from Jim's solo record, a couple from New Basement Tapes and one from Monsters of Folk plus some of their old mellow songs are all in the rotation right now really bringing in some of the Americana side of Jacket.

I saw them on the last two of the three-night San Francisco run. Both were great shows but on the last night they took it to another level. Great set list and amazing energy.

The only thing I'm curious about is they don't seem to be adding "Big Decisions" to their recent set lists, which is too bad because it's one of my favorites off the new album.

I went to the 2nd show in San Fran. Too much rock for me. I knew it wasn't going to be my cup of tea when Jim came on stage in a black cape and a flying V!

I went to the 2nd show in San Fran. Too much rock for me. I knew it wasn't going to be my cup of tea when Jim came on stage in a black cape and a flying V!

Too much rock?  How is that possible?!?   Ha ha ha!  That's exactly why I thought night 2 was the best of the run, they were hitting it hard right from the opening and that is how I like my MMJ. 

We took our teenaged son to just one night and had to pick the night.  We ended up taking him to night 1.  With the 6 mellow songs to open, it was not a great introduction to MMJ for him, just not exciting enough for him.  Too bad you didn't get to see night 1, you probably would have really dug the acoustic stuff.  Its nice that MMJ has all those facets to their music and that they mix it up from night to night.  Sorry you didn't get to see the show you would've liked the most.

I like the mellow stuff much more. Like, if they would've played At Dawn from beginning to end I would've been a happy girl. Beautiful & interesting venue by the way, especially the atrium entrance. The steep hill leading up (and down!) to the venue was a killer on my knees!

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly honest and I think revealing interview with Jim James.  It answers some questions about his recent stage demeanor (not talking to the audience that much, not rocking out as hard) and other points hardcore fans have been discussing.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/127073/Interview-Catching-Up-With-Jim-James-Of-My-Morning-Jacket

Sandoz, the first night of the Beacon was the show for you, nine songs from their first two albums.

AT DAWN

BERMUDA HIGHWAY
I WILL BE THERE WHEN YOU DIE
NASHVILLE TO KENTUCKY
GOLDEN
Half of THE BEAR
A NEW LIFE
CIRCUITAL
XMAS CURTAIN
OUTTA MY SYSTEM
JUST BECAUSE I DO
DONDANTE
KNOT COMES LOOSE
DOWN ON THE BOTTOM (New Basement Tapes cover)
OLD SEPTEMBER BLUES
PICTURE OF YOU
O IS THE ONE
WONDERFUL MAN
IN ITS INFANCY (THE WATERFALL)
HOLDIN ON TO BLACK METAL
-----
INTO THE WOODS
CARRIED AWAY
DANCEFLOORS
GIDEON

worldrecordplayer, how did you like the Boston show you saw?

Jim James said they are going to play just about every song from every album over this four night run.  We'll see if they can pull that off, but I know they will come very close if they don't hit every single one.  I think they are going with the no covers thing (as long as you don't count solo and side projects as covers).

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/my-morning-jacket-look-back-on-their-first-nyc-shows-before-their-beacon-theatre-takeover-7932627

Excellent. Tonight's the only one I can make. No ticket yet but I'll be there.

Anyone know what time the show ended last night? Have to plan my late night travels.

Tickets cheap on stub hub! Just bought a pair $64 all in for tonight (also single tickets on tm right now too!). It ends around 11:30..I am in Balcony Row N Seat 1...say hi if your nearby between opener and MMJ..

Hey Shug, loved the Friday show at the Orpheum.  Outstanding!  I'm not as familiar with MMJ as other bands, and as many of you, but I thought they were awesome.  Saw them once before at Harborlights, and thought the show was just OK, but I always attributed that to the particular venue.  Everything is always better in the Orpheum.  I know many folks write about MMJ being one of the best bands to see (and my son and his buddies saw them in Boston on NYE a few years ago and still rave about that), now I get why. 

Tickets cheap on stub hub! Just bought a pair $64 all in for tonight (also single tickets on tm right now too!). It ends around 11:30..I am in Balcony Row N Seat 1...say hi if your nearby between opener and MMJ..

Yeah im not worried. Enjoy if I don't see ya, should be incredible!!!

They have got the craft of a live rock show down, don't they?  You don't really have to be familiar with their songs to get into it, first timers are usually pretty impressed, in my experience.

Its killing me to not be at these Beacon shows and to hear about all the cheap tickets floating around.  Have a great time, everybody! Tonight will probably be hard rocking, I'm gonna guess.  Do some neck stretches, because there will be head banging!  Ha ha ha!  :)

Orchestra X for $45, thank you thanksgiving eve ;)