My Morning Jacket...

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

Thanks to shug, imsjry and choo choo for your responses. As I said, my exposure to MMJ is limited and since they don't yet really move me, I can believe that my comparison to Flaming Lips and Phish is superfical and doesn't hold up to scrutiny. (But damn, when that idea came to me I was proud of myself--I thought I had hit on the perfect description and was patting myself on the back for my musical acuity!)The thing is, I kinda like both Flaming Lips and Phish, and just to be clear, I really didn't mean the comparison to a jamband as an insult. I just meant that their music seemed somewhat improvisational and freeform, with a psychedelic feel, and it does seem to me that there is less emphasis on lyrics and melody than with Wilco.

I still don't think a festival set is the best way to experience a band, though, and there are a lot of people whose taste I share who really do love MMJ, so the next time they're playing a regular concert near me I'll give it another whirl. You never know! Thanks for the feedback and for not jumping down my throat!!

Yer welcome, wilco me.  I think MMJ does have a lot of good lyrics and Jim is a very sincere (probably far too sentimental and honest for some folks) guy.   He's really extremely idealistic and positive and not afraid to be a dork for his passions, rare qualities today. You might try this Storytellers version of Dondante for some serious stuff (and a great epic jam!) and then to lighten things up try his explanation of the song One Big Holiday from Storytellers (couldn't find that one on youtube.)

http://youtu.be/dMbqlK5OY2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbqlK5OY2I

People always think long songs are jams when they haven't heard them before.  Most of the MMJ "jams" are just long songs that have a structure, with little improvisation.  It's like when people say Wilco is a jam band when they hear "Handshake Drugs" and "Impossible Germany" for the first time.  

I'd strongly recommend the live album Okonokos over any of the studio albums, honestly.  It's two discs, so it's a lot to swallow at once, but once you get into it, it's incredibly rewarding.

I'd strongly recommend the live album Okonokos over any of the studio albums, honestly.  It's two discs, so it's a lot to swallow at once, but once you get into it, it's incredibly rewarding.

Good advice, indy81.  I listen to Okonokos more than anything else by MMJ (perhaps because it was the last thing they put out before my interest began to wane a little).  The Okonokos DVD is also one of my favorite concert films.

Shug, even though I had seen the episode previously, I had forgotten all about the Storytellers show until you posted the clip!  Thanks.  I had recorded it to DVD-R years ago, and your reminder prompted me to grab the old disc and press play this morning.  MMJ plus donuts equals a fine Saturday morning.

Agree with all you guys said about Okonokos, both the CD and especially the DVD.  Its what finally got me into MMJ for good.  And yeah, the word "jam" is overused or maybe wrongly used, including by me, if it means a musical improv section.  What I really mean in terms of MMJ is that they take a good long time building a song to a big crescendo.  There is not a lot of improv going on in there, but sometimes they do different or longer solos or intros or outros from night to night and I suppose it is improvising within a predetermined structure.  Whatever you want to call it, they do it very well, IMO, on songs like Steam Engine and Dondante and Cobra and a few others.

Got hooked on At Dawn and It still Moves. Like everyone else has said, got hooked on the live shows. It's very interesting to watch Wilco follow an MMJ set. I like it. Seeing two of my favorite bands collaborate is priceless!!!

The official bootlegs that they release through their website are pretty damned good.  I especially like the second Red Rocks show, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.  The new years show has a ton of covers too, none as good as Isn't It a Pity from the above mentioned Red Rocks show.  I used to think Okonokos was the shit, but these live releases are way better in my opinion.

Carry on.

They are all pretty good. I have them all and don't think you can go wrong with any of them. It's probably a matter of checking the track listings and picking the ones that appeal most.

They mix up their sets really well. I really can't stand "Highly Suspicious," though. It doesn't ruin a set for me, but if I purchase a show with it in there, it's getting deleted.

I listened to the Red Rocks shows when they were released and thought the performances were great but the sound quality was pretty lousy compared to Okonokos.

Me, too.  Too much AUD not enough SBD and not a great mix.  I still prefer Okonokos to all the official bootlegs, mostly for recording quality.  I thnk the Port Chesters sound better than the Red Rocks, though.  Plus on Dec 29th,  they had the Antibalas horn section sit in for Evil Urges and four other songs, great stuff!

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,8831/My-Morning-Jacket-mp3-flac-download-12-29-2012-Capitol-Theatre-Port-Chester-NY.html

• 5 months later...

My Morning Jacket is also going to start releasing live shows:

My Morning Jacket will launch new archival series. Partnering with Livedownloads.com, the first installment documents the band’s December 2, 2011 performance at San Francisco, CA’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. The performance took place on the Circuital Tour and featured a range of material, including early cuts like “At Dawn,” “Heartbreakin Man,” “I Will Sing You Songs” and “Cobra.” The version of “Dondante” clocks in at over 18 minutes.

Here’s a look at the evening’s setlist

December 2, 2011, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Victory Dance
First Light
I’m Amazed
Outta My System
It Beats 4 U
At Dawn
Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
Heartbreakin Man
Off the Record
Golden
I Will Sing You Songs
You Wanna Freak Out
Smokin From Shootin
Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 2
Movin Away
Dondante
(With long intro)
Mahgeetah
Circuital
Encore:
Wordless Chorus
The Day Is Coming
Cobra
(Partial)
Holdin On to Black Metal
One Big Holiday

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

From Rolling Stone magazine MMJ article:

That night, the bandmates play the new album in its entirety for a small crowd of friends and family at Louisville's Headliners Music Hall, where they last played in 2003... For the encore, the band reaches all the way back to 2001's At Dawn, and James reminisces about the time he was kicked out of the venue for being "super fucked up" during a Wilco show. "It's such a trip to play here," he says. "I'm so proud."

Thanks for the link Moss.