My Morning Jacket...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

I think it's a very good album! I've enjoyed all of their stuff though. Similar to Wilco, I think it's all good, some is just better than others.

Evil Urges and Circuital all had their great songs. I absolutely love Evil Urges, Smokin From Shooting, Touch Me Pt 2, Victory Dance, Circuital, Wonderful etc...but there are too many songs that don't have much of an identity.

The Waterfall on the other hand I feel is very cohesive and strong It really is an album that works best all the way through. I'm seeing them in Milwaukee and besides "the river" I really hope to hear all the new songs. In It's Infancy, Tropics, Only Memories Remain and Spring, all have potential to be absolute monsters live.

Definitely one of my favorite bands out there right now,

• 3 months later...

Anyone see the Red Rocks stream last night?

(Setlist, umm not too shabby)

Wordless Chorus

Compound Fracture

Off the Record

Circuital

Believe (Nobody Knows)

Bermuda Highway

I'm Amazed

Evil Urges

Dondante

Lay Low

(end of)

At Dawn

In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)

Gideon

Tropics (Erase Traces)

I Think I'm Going to Hell

Spring (Among The Living)

Anytime

Steam Engine

Only Memories Remain

Steam Engine

Phone Went West

Mahgeetah

Encore:

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

(with Brandi Carlile)

Victory Dance

Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1

Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2

Highly Suspicious

Run Thru

One Big Holiday

Anyone see the Red Rocks stream last night?

(Setlist, umm not too shabby)

Wordless Chorus

Compound Fracture

Off the Record

Circuital

Believe (Nobody Knows)

Bermuda Highway

I'm Amazed

Evil Urges

Dondante

Lay Low

(end of)

At Dawn

In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)

Gideon

Tropics (Erase Traces)

I Think I'm Going to Hell

Spring (Among The Living)

Anytime

Steam Engine

Only Memories Remain

Steam Engine

Phone Went West

Mahgeetah

Encore:

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

(with Brandi Carlile)

Victory Dance

Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1

Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2

Highly Suspicious

Run Thru

One Big Holiday

I was at this show.  Amazing night.  My first show at Red Rocks and it was an incredible experience.  Almost a 3 hour show!  They were really going for it.  Gret jams all night long.  Just wow.

I'm in the minority of Jacket fans, I think, because I don't really like their new album and I actually prefer Circuital (even though that one is not all that great either).  Both albums are spotty, but there are more highlights on Circuital than The Waterfall, IMO.  I like the more traditional songs like Thin Line and Big Decisions.  The main part of the song The Waterfall is great, but I don't really like the intro/outro to that song.

But the new songs are sounding much better live than on the record for me and that is great because MMJ, to me, are primarily a live band (just like Wilco). Tropics and Spring are sounding good.  Looking forward to hearing Thin Line in October in San Francisco at their 3 night run at the Masonic. I don't really get too excited about their studio records, I just want them to play great live.  I'm finding this Jacket tour to be nearly as good as they've ever been and in some ways better.  The head-banging, jumping up and down rocking out from years past has mellowed out noticeably, but I think its been replaced by a journeyman's kind of craft at playing live shows.  While they might have lost just an edge of their former intensity as a live rock band, they have made up for it with an increased skill and ease and efficiency as an ensemble.

Jim had a nice long solo in Spring at the Red Rocks show and it sounded great, but I wish they would apply that to the middle section of The Waterfall, its screaming for a Carl face-melter! I was stoked to get 3.5 of my 5 favorite rockers (Gideon, Mahgettah, Anytime and the ending jam of Lay Low) (only missing Dancefloors) plus Dondante and Steam Engine in one show.  Very nice!

Their performance at Bonnaroo this year was also very solid and tight, they rocked out well in the time they had.  Red Rocks had lots of good jamming, more of the long journey a typical Jacket show often is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyy6YxXEaM

I watched this from home on headphones, and I was blown away.  Best $20 bucks on "live" music I've spent in a long time.  It was flawless from the standpoint of live webcasting without any glitches, kudos on that!  I've seen MMJ live many times, but I really hope they turn this show into a live DVD, because I just can NEVER get enough of Carl rocking out like that! 

• 2 months later...

Saw them last night in Grand Prairie Texas for the second time, first in Denver for the Americanarama tour but didn't really connect for me at that gig. Boy did they ever last night! Now i gotta work on collecting another back catalogue! Picked up a signed copy of The Waterfall and find it great Sunday morning music. I especially dig "Get The Point." Im not sure of the titles of the tracks i heard last night but i was really liking the more guitar heavy tracks. Any suggestions on what to get next?

I still don't think a festival set is the best way to experience a band, though, and there are a lot of people whose taste I share who really do love MMJ, so the next time they're playing a regular concert near me I'll give it another whirl. You never know! Thanks for the feedback and for not jumping down my throat!!

This happened to me. Go see them in a dark room with a decent view and let it flow. I'm not sure i will ever go to another festival again unless it's in the Berkshires with only one band that i really care about.

This happened to me. Go see them in a dark room with a decent view and let it flow. I'm not sure i will ever go to another festival again unless it's in the Berkshires with only one band that i really care about.

I'm definitely going to make a point of seeing a proper theater show. You speak with the fervor of the newly converted, which is a great place to be.

And yeah, I'm a bit festivaled out.

I'm definitely going to make a point of seeing a proper theater show. You speak with the fervor of the newly converted, which is a great place to be.

And yeah, I'm a bit festivaled out.

Seeing them soon in the Orpheum in Boston. Will be my second time, but first in a theater like this. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saw them in '03 I believe. They were supporting It Still Moves. Those first few albums were some of the best of the decade. They lost me with Evil Urges. I wish Yim Yames would take himself more seriously. (I know, I'm probably inciting a riot with that last statement)

I saw them on the last two of the three-night San Francisco run. Both were great shows but on the last night they took it to another level. Great set list and amazing energy.

The only thing I'm curious about is they don't seem to be adding "Big Decisions" to their recent set lists, which is too bad because it's one of my favorites off the new album.

The only thing I'm curious about is they don't seem to be adding "Big Decisions" to their recent set lists, which is too bad because it's one of my favorites off the new album.

My second favorite off the The Waterfalls. But after devouring the recored yesterday all tracks seem to be keepers. Funny for me that i like it so much,  because it was not well represented in the outstanding gig i saw on Saturday. A Friend just send me a digital copy of Z that i plan on sitting with and if i dig it will get the vinyl but only after i am finished with this release. I kinda like when i connect with new releases from a old band and work back through the catalogue. Same thing happened when i found Wilco during the pre YHF just after Summerteeth. I love finding new (old) bands! It's like i can have a new release any time i choose to buy it! I get to decide on the release date!  :twitchsmile

Not a huge fan of Evil Urges either, but the songs for Circuital come off really well live. So I wouldn't write them off quite yet.

That's true.  There were some good tunes on that album.  Some of the production was not my cup of tea.  The tune Circuital was good.

Evil Urges had some good stuff, but was kind of weighed down by the 'experimental' stuff.  

My second favorite off the The Waterfalls. But after devouring the recored yesterday all tracks seem to be keepers. Funny for me that i like it so much,  because it was not well represented in the outstanding gig i saw on Saturday. A Friend just send me a digital copy of Z that i plan on sitting with and if i dig it will get the vinyl but only after i am finished with this release. I kinda like when i connect with new releases from a old band and work back through the catalogue. Same thing happened when i found Wilco during the pre YHF just after Summerteeth. I love finding new (old) bands! It's like i can have a new release any time i choose to buy it! I get to decide on the release date!  :twitchsmile

Isn't there another album coming out fairly soon?

I saw them on the last two of the three-night San Francisco run. Both were great shows but on the last night they took it to another level. Great set list and amazing energy.

I've seen like five or six shows this year and still haven't heard Big Decisions live, which is kinda funny because it was the first "single" for The Waterfall, wasn't it?

I've seen like five or six shows this year and still haven't heard Big Decisions live, which is kinda funny because it was the first "single" for The Waterfall, wasn't it?

I think so. It was also the first song off the album I remember hearing because they played it at One Big Holiday and the video of the performance was on YouTube. According to setlist.fm they've only played it 16 times with the last time in Seattle on Oct. 2.  By comparison, they've played "Compound Fracture" 60 times. 

I saw all three nights of the San Francisco run and then the Phoenix show.  They are really on fire right now, playing at nearly as high a level as they ever have based on the shows I've seen and the live recordings from before my time seeing them.  The new songs have really come to life, so if you don't like the Waterfall, don't let that prevent you from going to see them live.  The 4 night Beacon theater run in November will surely be as great as the other recent runs of shows.  SF had no repeats over three nights and unlike past tours, only 1 cover, so they are digging deep into their catalog of originals.

Wilco and MMJ, can't beat them live, IMO.

thejokeexplained, I would second tinnitus photog's recommendation of Okonokos, both the live audio and the live DVD they were really peaking at that time and those are pretty much definitive versions of all those songs for me.  Z and It Still Moves are their best studio albums, IMO.