NFL Thread (2008 edition)

No one person is ever to blame in the context of a team sport. That all being said, Mangini did a terrible job this year. It's true that he made some bad calls in the SEA game, and it's true that Favre was hurt, but the Jets D led the league in sacks through 6 or 7 games and had absolutely no pass rush for the second half of the year. The Jets signed Calvin Pace to a big contract and then used him sparingly at best on the pass rush, instead opting for having him drop back into pass coverage. Kerry Rhodes, a former all-pro is consistently underutilized. Mangini is severely limited in his halftime adjustments -- he is consistently outmaneuvered by better coaches, and virtually always outcoached by the great coaches in the league. Not sure that it's fair to knock him for getting outcoached by Belichick, but it happened all the time, and even in games that the Jets won.

When a team has the talent to beat the Titans and Patriots on the road in consecutive weeks, and is sitting at 8-3, and that team then loses to SEA, SF and MIA (and should have lost to BUF but for an inexcusable pass play when BUF should have been running out the clock), not to mention a loss to OAK earlier in the year, there's something wrong with the coach. It's not ALL his fault. There's plenty wrong with the coordinators and the players too. But there's lots wrong with the coach.

EDIT: And I agree with Moe. I have no idea how you hire a coach before you hire a GM. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should also point out that nothing that I said above is any statement about whether Mangini will be a good coach in CLE. He is certainly a smart, young coach with as much upside as anyone that I can think of in the league. It would not surprise me if he flourishes in CLE. He is smart enough to learn from his mistakes.

But again, he had a bad year, there is a less room for error in NYC (well, NJ), and like bjorn said, the team probably felt the need to start fresh and not have a coaching controversey heading into next year. I wish him (and the browns) well.

Steelers better win tomorrow or else there could be a major bloodbath in SD next week when the Ravens kill PRivers et al. Steelers/Ravens in Pittsburg on a cold January afternoon could be a great game.

It was an ugly, ugly game. Jeez, I can't believe this happened.

I think it was only an ugly game if you're a Panthers fan (which you obviously are). I'm not an Arizona fan, but they were pretty fun to watch. I've always really liked Jake and the Panthers tho. Bad birthday for sure.

Raise your hand if you predicted that the Arizona Cardinals would host the NFC Championship game this year.

No one?

Heck of a choke job by the Giants. Can't say I'm crying any tears for them.

Another Wow! Manning was awful. I wouldn't have predicted this Championship game in a hundred years. (I thought the phone thing was pretty funny).

I want to see a video of the phone thing. It's gotta be hilarious!!! I couldn't watch the game...

I want to see a video of the phone thing. It's gotta be hilarious!!! I couldn't watch the game...

He got the penalty and apologized after the game, but it was worth it!

It wasn't... very lame. I thought Donovan had a bit more class.

Nice to see the Giants out of things. These playoffs are going exactly how I had hoped (but certainly never expected).

I'm feeling the exact opposite. I would have liked to see Atlanta and Indianapolis go much further. The Steelers are my last hope. Otherwise, I'm rooting for Philly as I do like McNabb.

oh, and great runback by Holmes.

Sorry to see Dungy go, but he has some very noble plans. I've always had a ton of respect for him. Boy, there is going to be some massive restructuring all over the league!