NFL Thread (2008 edition)

Oh well. I don't really understand the school he chose to attend having that much bearing on one's animosity or hatred of a person. For instance, should I really hate Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris, Dante Hall, or Shane Lechler (to name a few)?

It just seems silly to me.

You may also hate them for their hairstyle, the type of car they drive and lots of other things. Sometimes you don't even need a reason! That's the beautiful madness of being a sports fan.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get how anyone could like Favre and not Manning. Favre is a gigantic ass hat, douche bag who does shitty commercials, and Manning is always funny. The Sony HD one makes me laugh everytime.

"no, chicken!"

I don't get how anyone could like Favre and not Manning. Favre is a gigantic ass hat, douche bag who does shitty commercials, and Manning is always funny. The Sony HD one makes me laugh everytime.

"no, chicken!"

To me, the San Diego Chicken is a comic icon.

Lessons learned from the Marvin Harrison and Plaxico Burris shooting imbrogios:

If you have to shoot someone, shoot someone else, not yourself.

Burris will have his career ended because of a mishap with a gun where he shoots himself.

Harrison is skating on shooting someone else (yeah, sure...it was just his gun :lol ;) )

Burris will have his career ended because of a mishap with a gun where he shoots himself.

Harrison is skating on shooting someone else (yeah, sure...it was just his gun :lol ;) )

Plex has the same lawyer that got P. Diddy off of weapons and bribery charges and help get Michael Jackson off of child molestation charges. Plex has an excellent chance of acquittal.

Reed, Polamalu or Sanders?

Go!

In that order.

Ed Reed is awesome. It may help that he plays on the best defense in football though. I imagine Bob Sanders will be hurt the rest of his career.

This could get the Colts out of Harrison's contract. Then they could go after Houshmanzadeh.

I imagine Bob Sanders will be hurt the rest of his career.

God I hope not. He & Dallas Clark, both former Hawkeyes, are my favorite non-Viking NFL players. I suppose the way little Bob Sanders throws himself at guys, he's going to hurt himself a lot.

Probably Sean Taylor :(

But I'll go with Reed.

But man, Sean Taylor could've been the greatest safety ever.

Right on. I loved Sean Taylor. He was a hell of a football player.

Ed Reed is definitely the best safety currently playing the game. Polamalu is a close second. Bob Sanders doesn't touch either of those two, in my opinion. Not that he isn't a great player.

EDIT: Although nearing the end of his career and no doubt not the player he once was, Brian Dawkins still deserves some mention when discussing the best safeties in the game.

There are some Browns fans around here, right? How does swapping one Belichick Defensive Coordinator for another make sense?

Well, Mangini fits within the system, so that's a problem solved. He took the fall for the Jets' collapse (a la Mets?), so he's not really as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Though I've still got reservations, I'm more than hopeful that the Browns will get somewhere with him. It is a nice sort of deal that it's a "homecoming" thing for Mangini, too.

Well, Mangini fits within the system, so that's a problem solved. He took the fall for the Jets' collapse (a la Mets?), so he's not really as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Though I've still got reservations, I'm more than hopeful that the Browns will get somewhere with him. It is a nice sort of deal that it's a "homecoming" thing for Mangini, too.

is it true that Romeo is sticking around as the DC?

In the Seattle game, Mangini made some decisions that in and of themselves warranted his firing. I agree that he is not a bad coach, but Favre stopped being good after they beat the Titans.

is it true that Romeo is sticking around as the DC?

I've heard that RAC isn't staying around, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if he did stick around. If he's not staying with the Browns, he'll definitely get picked up by someone else.

In the Seattle game, Mangini made some decisions that in and of themselves warranted his firing. I agree that he is not a bad coach, but Favre stopped being good after they beat the Titans.

I don't think Mangini wanted Favre in the first place. He was a burden from the start, and Chad Pennington played extremely well this year, which makes me wonder what the Jets management was thinking when they took Favre. Granted, Pennington may not have done so well if he weren't traded away, but still, you have to wonder. While Mangini certainly made strange decisions in some of the games, I think it was moreover a failure of the players to execute. Obviously Favre had a lot to do with it, playing injured, but it was widespread and Mangini paid the price. Not saying Mangini is the savior of Browns football, but I think he's been maligned far past what he deserves.

Wait a minute. Aren't the Browns replacing the GM too? So they fire their head coach and GM and are going to stick with the same system!?! And, for that matter, isn't it going to be a lot harder to find a quality GM if you don't even allow him to pick the head coach?

The big problem was that the offense was designed for Chad Pennington, not Brett Favre. WHEN PENNINGTON IS HEALTHY, he is a good QB. He was not last year, and the Jets smoked a pole. Pretty much everybody in Jets-land was perfectly willing to ditch him for Favre. But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, and the Lord gave unto Pennington a great year, and smites the Jets with Favre retirement angst and need-a-new-coach angst. And as I held Willie Randolph responsible for the 2007 collapse, I do not think it is completely unreasonable to hold Mangini responsible for the Jets collapse. That play-calling in Seattle was totally fucked up. And Favre stopped being good.

Wait a minute. Aren't the Browns replacing the GM too? So they fire their head coach and GM and are going to stick with the same system!?! And, for that matter, isn't it going to be a lot harder to find a quality GM if you don't even allow him to pick the head coach?

I don't think I made my point clear. Same defensive schemes, general offenses scheme. When I meant system, I didn't mean the management. I meant, like, the actual football stuff, playing the game. If it makes it easier to find a GM, reportedly Mangini recommended the Ravens chief personnel dude as a good candidate.

The big problem was that the offense was designed for Chad Pennington, not Brett Favre. WHEN PENNINGTON IS HEALTHY, he is a good QB. He was not last year, and the Jets smoked a pole. Pretty much everybody in Jets-land was perfectly willing to ditch him for Favre. But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, and the Lord gave unto Pennington a great year, and smites the Jets with Favre retirement angst and need-a-new-coach angst. And as I held Willie Randolph responsible for the 2007 collapse, I do not think it is completely unreasonable to hold Mangini responsible for the Jets collapse. That play-calling in Seattle was totally fucked up. And Favre stopped being good.

While Mangini may be responsible, he's not the biggest factor for the Jets' collapse. That's kinda my point.

I don't think I made my point clear. Same defensive schemes, general offenses scheme. When I meant system, I didn't mean the management. I meant, like, the actual football stuff, playing the game. If it makes it easier to find a GM, reportedly Mangini recommended the Ravens chief personnel dude as a good candidate.

Well i guess I didn't make my point clear either. :P If you are making wholesale changes by firing the coaching staff and the GM, presumably you feel wholesale football changes are in order. Seems strange to hire a guy from the exact same mold and it seems backwards to do it before you hire the GM.

While Mangini may be responsible, he's not the biggest factor for the Jets' collapse. That's kinda my point.

To continue the analogy, the Mets, in my opinion, sabotaged their 2008 season by not firing Randolph immediately after the 2007 collapse. The people in charge of the Jets may not have wanted to start their 2009 with an uncertain coaching situation.