New Election Thread

Meh - it rang like the thousands of political speeches that have proceeded it - big on promises, most of which will never be delivered. Free ourselves from foreign oil within ten years? Hmmmm....unless we've found a way to grow the stuff, how is that even remotely possible?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh - it rang like the thousands of political speeches that have proceeded it - big on promises, most of which will never be delivered. Free ourselves from foreign oil within ten years? Hmmmm....unless we've found a way to grow the stuff, how is that even remotely possible?

Easy. Well, easy in the sense that it's only two steps, but it'll be a pain in the ass to do (at least #1), so it's not quite easy.

1. Eliminate the sugar trust/lobby.

2. Use the cane sugar to make biofuel, like Brazil already does.

I've brought it up time in time again...

What political speech doesn't? Take it for what it is. They're all part of the cog that we need to deal with, like it or not.

If you're expecting something different you're fooling yourself.

Hmmmm....unless we've found a way to grow the stuff, how is that even remotely possible?

They've been making big strides in "growing" petroleum substitutes in algae and other genetically modified plants. It's not completely science fiction.

Converting traditional human foodstuffs and crops into ethanol doesn't make much sense when there are starving people and huge amounts of land and fertilizers involved. Converting crop waste and things like algae would be much easier to sustain.

Sounds like the truth to me, regardless of which party is running the show. It only takes a cursory glance at history to see that it's true. Obama has come out strong about Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and Darfur, so the chances of a bloodless presidency are so low as to approach zero. The next president is going to make decisions that will kill people. It's a certainty.

Obama's sure to wage useless wars...

Easy. Well, easy in the sense that it's only two steps, but it'll be a pain in the ass to do (at least #1), so it's not quite easy.

If within the next ten years, we retrofit our entire energy infrastructure to run on bio-fuels. Either Obama does not understand the enormous scope of the problem, or he

Hemp

http://www.hemp4fuel.com/

Obama's sure to wage useless wars...

Obama's sure to wage war(s). It'll be up to you to decide whether they are useless or not. History shows that there are usually 2 equally divided sides to every war and one man's useless war is another man's war of liberation, defense and/or necessity.

Converting traditional human foodstuffs and crops into ethanol doesn't make much sense when there are starving people and huge amounts of land and fertilizers involved. Converting crop waste and things like algae would be much easier to sustain.

Sugar yields the best stuff:gas ratio out of all of them...I'm pretty sure nothing is particularly close. Besides, depleting algae sounds like the least sustainable thing ever. You're going to clean out the entire food chain if you go for algae, and if you're bioengineering the stuff you're not going to be able to placate the demand. While in the long term algae may turn out to be viable, sugar is the best option right now.

If within the next ten years, we retrofit our entire energy infrastructure to run on bio-fuels. Either Obama does not understand the enormous scope of the problem, or he’s being disingenuous, unfortunately, the answer to either question is not a good one. The entirety of Brazil probably uses less energy than the state of New York alone.

Baby steps, man. We can probably fix the majority of cars to use biofuels within ten years if we start immediately, that'll cut a good chunk of foreign oil. Next can be the rest of the industries. I'm not saying that it's going to happen in presto, but if we see progress then it's foolish to axe it because it won't make the "timeline."

I was really going to take a stab at this thread but then I remembered to learn from the past.

some of you can focus on such selfish minutia. but that is youth.

like Iraq I suspose?

Like every war.

Obama didn't exactly sound like a man promising a war-free presidency tonight:

"I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression."

If elected, he's going to kill people. And there will be plenty of discussion about whether it was right or wrong. That's simply how the world works.

If elected, he's going to kill people. And there will be plenty of discussion about whether it was right or wrong. That's simply how the world works.

Do you mean to say that whomever is elected that the war will not end immediately or that he will be responsible for sparking more war?

Sugar yields the best stuff:gas ratio out of all of them...I'm pretty sure nothing is particularly close. Besides, depleting algae sounds like the least sustainable thing ever. You're going to clean out the entire food chain if you go for algae, and if you're bioengineering the stuff you're not going to be able to placate the demand. While in the long term algae may turn out to be viable, sugar is the best option right now.

They're not talking about algae that's floating around in the lakes and rivers, rather large-scale farmed ponds using algae that's been genetically modified to produce oil.

Ever seen a sugar cane plantation? I have. How much sugar do you think you get from that huge, bamboo-like stem? And how much work and land does it take to produce it? Massive burn offs, destruction of the Everglades' ecosystem - we're be much better growing this stuff in some slimy ponds in the middle of nowhere.

And we need new nuke plants, too. Lots of them.

Do you mean to say that whomever is elected that the war will not end immediately or that he will be responsible for sparking more war?

The war in Iraq is winding down, but could flare again. Afghanistan will take several more years of fighting (keep an eye on Michael Yon's excellent reporting, he's just arrived in country) and Obama's been talking tough about places like Darfur, Russia and Iran. Any of them can - and might - lead to bloody conflict involving U.S. troops. And the battle against terrorists is going to last for our lifetime. Much blood will be shed and there will always be someone who questions whether it was necessary. It's the president's job to make those tough choices.

So whomever takes office will be to blame.....

The person who finds himself in office will find that the world can be an ugly place and he will have to make very difficult decisions which will result in the deaths of many people. And a lot of people will be screaming at him for making those decisions.

Just read this and laughed:

Asked to hint which way he is leaning, McCain turned

The person who finds himself in office will find that the world can be an ugly place and he will have to make very difficult decisions which will result in the deaths of many people. And a lot of people will be screaming at him for making those decisions.

Of course. This resonates for anyone who is elected. Point being?