New Election Thread

I don't know much about Sarah Palin, but this could be an AWESOME choice.

She's very pro-life and pro man-woman only marriage. Her most recent child, born in April, has Downs Syndrome. The little I've researched on her suggests she's a very strong, admirable and sharp woman.

After the Democrats left their woman candidate at the curb, choosing Palin could be a good choice by the maverick McCain.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes the last four years of awfulness .00001% your fault. Thankyou for helping.

I don't think someone voting or not voting makes anything his or her fault. That's an interesting perspective on the voting process.

She's very pro-life and pro man-woman only marriage. Her most recent child, born in April, has Downs Syndrome. The little I've researched on her suggests she's a very strong, admirable and sharp woman.

After the Democrats left their woman candidate at the curb, choosing Palin could be a good choice by the maverick McCain.

There have been denials from the Palin camp, for what that's worth.

Palin is younger than Obama and has only been governor for a year and a half. Choosing her would essentially blunt one of McCain's most effective weapons: the claim that Obama lacks the experience to be president.

This rings true for able-bodied people in harm's way. It is worth noting that there were people who were physically or mentally unable to make this evacuation on their own.

Sure, and that's where the city government failed.

My hometown was wiped out by Hurricane Charley in 2004. Charley was a stronger hurricane than Katrina, but there were no levies to worry about. Tens of thousands of buildings were destroyed and residents were without water or electricity for 2 weeks, but everyone remained calm, the local authorities maintained control until the troops and FEMA arrived and there was minimal loss of life and no organized looting. Many people neglected to evacuate, but they learned their lessons. The next storm that threatened the area virtually emptied out the city. I imagine the residents of New Orleans learned a similar lesson and will evacuate in the future. After all, it's the only GUARANTEED way to save your life in the face of an approaching hurricane.

Without taking the time to read this whole discussion about FEMA /Katrina you do have to admit that FEMA performed beautifully in FLA in 2004 shortly before the elections. Prepositioned qequipment, rapid response etc... Quite the oposite of how they responded in N.O. after Katrina. Though Katrina did not happen in an election year either.

Forgive me, but as someone who has grown up in an increasingly racially diverse area where it simply isn't an issue, I think the impact of Obama's nomination is a little lost on me. I've never really seen race as an issue in my life.

She's very . . . pro man-woman only marriage.

. . .

yah, that's crucial in this day and age of so few national and international problems.

Forgive me, but as someone who has grown up in an increasingly racially diverse area where it simply isn't an issue, I think the impact of Obama's nomination is a little lost on me. I've never really seen race as an issue in my life.

that is truly fortunate, for you.

Without taking the time to read this whole discussion about FEMA /Katrina you do have to admit that FEMA performed beautifully in FLA in 2004 shortly before the elections. Prepositioned qequipment, rapid response etc... Quite the oposite of how they responded in N.O. after Katrina. Though Katrina did not happen in an election year either.

There was plenty of pre-positioned equipment and preparation. The National Guard did a great job right from the start and the Coast Guard did an OUTSTANDING job. It's just been swept away to make political hay out of disaster and suffering.

Breaking News Alert

The New York Times

Friday, August 29, 2008 -- 10:44 AM ET

-----

McCain Chooses Palin as Running Mate

Senator John McCain has selected Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to

be his running mate, according to Republican sources.

Read More:

http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

If "the course of history" was changed by, say Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson -- strictly the basis of color -- would it be equally "amazing and for good."

yes, yes it would... breaking down color barriers, no matter who does it, is for the betterment of our nation an mankind.

hopefully more people your age, and more and more folks younger than you grow up with that viewpoint, but i can safely say you're in a very VERY VERY small minority who are able to hold that view.

FEMA suffered from a well-documented brain drain and severe cut in funding and organization post-2004.

hopefully more people your age, and more and more folks younger than you grow up with that viewpoint, but i can safely say you're in a very VERY VERY small minority who are able to hold that view.

I'm not from his generation, but with a daughter a few years younger than b2, I would venture his viewpoint is very much the norm of his generation.

I am excited about the Palin pick. I am also proud of the fact that no matter the outcome of this election, history will be made.

Word! :thumbup

I think it is wild that we also have Obama born in Hawaii, Palin from Alaska and McCain born in Panama. Talk about canadates not from the lower 48!

:lol

mccain's v.p. choice is so breathtakingly alarming that i don't know where to begin. that's not true, i can begin: with mccain as old as he is, how responsible is it to pick someone with the least age and experience on the national stage? wait, she hasn't even been on the national stage.

just for starters.

mccain's v.p. choice is so breathtakingly alarming that i don't know where to begin. that's not true, i can begin: with mccain as old as he is, how responsible is it to pick someone with the least age and experience on the national stage? wait, she hasn't even been on the national stage.

just for starters.

There's certainly the irony of outsider vs. Washington insider.

McCain touts experience and reaches out for a newbie -- with "traditional, value-based" approach.

Obama, who runs as one above the Washington fray (experience in Washington is not necesessary) goes after one of the ultimate Dem insiders.

It sort of cuts the whole argument out from under each side -- can't knock Palin as an outsider and hold Obama up as one. Can't tout McCain's experience and overlook Biden.

She looks a bit like Lisa Loeb being groped by Bigfoot.

Bigfoot better not try that in Georgia ...

Race may not be a factor in some youngins lives, but that's no excuse to pretend race is not or was never an issue. I mean, come on.

thanks for another racist, hate-filled post

yes, yes it would... breaking down color barriers, no matter who does it, is for the betterment of our nation an mankind.

I can't imagine much that would have set further back the breaking down of color barriers than the election of the divisive and

underhanded on the sole basis of the color of their skin.

Race may not be a factor in some youngins lives, but that's no excuse to pretend race is not or was never an issue. I mean, come on.

But isn't that the goal, not to pretend race wasn't an issue but for race to no longer be an issue because it is not a factor.

In other words, when "little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

It's the argument almost simultaneously for and against affirmative action -- that the pendulum of prejudice swings only because someone exerts pressure on it. The goal is to have no reason to apply momentum.