New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other observations:

Al Gore was great. All I can ever think when I see him is how different (read better off) we all would be had he been president.

I loved the "regular americans" and also Eisenhower's granddaughter. I also loved the retired generals (though I was hoping for a surprise visit from Colin Powell -- oh well a girl can dream)

The soul music was teh awesome

City of Blinding Lights was another great choice

I missed the balloons :P

As much as I dislike the entire process, I yet again agree with you.

Agreed. Also loved the coverage after the speech on NPR. I was very moved listening to the responses of people in the crowd who had followed Dr King to DC 45 years and were overjoyed to see and hear the nomination of a person of color for President of the USA. Tonight was a night to focus on that amazing achievement. Forget cynicism this was a truly historical moment whose emotional impact will be felt across the country and the world. A night to be proud to be an American regardless of your political views.

Like every war.

Obama didn't exactly sound like a man promising a war-free presidency tonight:

"I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression."

If elected, he's going to kill people. And there will be plenty of discussion about whether it was right or wrong. That's simply how the world works.

I just want to leave Iraq responsibly, and I believe O can make it happen.I believe he will listen to the people and the experts concernig FA, & not act like a cowboy. I do not support Bush our war president, or McCain the possibly future war president, as they both believe in the Iraq war. David Duchovny has checked into rehab to undergo treatment for sex addiction and this trumps the DNC importance for me.

14j1awn.gif

I get it now...

McCain is a war hero = prez material

Voting with Bush does not mean he's going to be another Bush = voting with Bush means he's different than Bush

Questioning a war hero's experience in military = not PC like questioning the war in Iraq means you are unpatriotic

Other observations:

Al Gore was great. All I can ever think when I see him is how different (read better off) we all would be had he been president.

I loved the "regular americans" and also Eisenhower's granddaughter. I also loved the retired generals (though I was hoping for a surprise visit from Colin Powell -- oh well a girl can dream)

The soul music was teh awesome

City of Blinding Lights was another great choice

I missed the balloons :P

All wonderful observations! :thumbup I wish this could go on for just a few more days.

I just want to leave Iraq responsibly, and I believe O can make it happen.I believe he will listen to the people and the experts concernig FA

The stage has already been set for withdrawal from Iraq. President Obama shouldn't have to worry much about it.

What's FA?

I thought the speech was absolutely terrific. I think he not only hit, he hit it out of the park.

i agree with you. we'd all like to make up our own president, perfectly, and some would base every judgment on current events according to that subjective standard. reality is, we have two options to choose from, as usual. in view of that, i'd take obama over not only mccain but most other presidential candidates in my lifetime, which hasn't been short. i'd list the reasons why, but there are too many, and i listed them here 5 or 6 months ago. and now i'm tired. but satisfied.

Tonight it also felt right (to me) for the first time in a long time to feel patriotic. I think we can now safely return the flag back to all Americans, not just those that believe in the Axis of Evil.

And tonight another republican icon returned to its rightful place:

Analysis: 'Born in the USA' returns to politics

By TED ANTHONY, AP National Writer1 hour, 20 minutes ago

A generation after Ronald Reagan famously mistook Bruce Springsteen's music for uncritical patriotism, Democrats claimed "Born in the USA" on Thursday for the theme it was meant to project

Tonight it also felt right (to me) for the first time in a long time to feel patriotic. I think we can now safely return the flag back to all Americans, not just those that believe in the Axis of Evil.

And tonight another republican icon returned to its rightful place:

ru16ib.jpg

Edie, I'll bet you, like me, have been following conventions for many years. Have you ever seen a better one than this? I don't think I have. Every major speaker killed it this week - Michelle, Hill, Bill, Kerry, Al, Joe, Barack - they all brought their "A" game.

In November '04 I sort of lost my way with all of this. HST called that election "The Death Of Hope", and I think that was an appropriate description (at least for me). The road will be rough, be we can do this thing, and I couldn't be happier right now about the possibilities.

Care to explain this, because I really don't get it. Do you really get caught up in what is, essentially, a week long commercial for the party? I really don't see how this could make you patriotic all of a sudden if you weren't before.

Care to explain this, because I really don't get it. Do you really get caught up in what is, essentially, a week long commercial for the party? I really don't see how this could make you patriotic all of a sudden if you weren't before.

i realize you're not invested in either candidate, but have you ever been in the past? (i can understand if you haven't, this is only my 3rd or 4th time in the 20 or so years that i've been politically aware that i have)

when you are, it's easy to understand how something like this excites the base and fires people up.

b2, your Rep is a rising star. I thought of you when he introduced Bill the other night.

i realize you're not invested in either candidate, but have you ever been in the past? (i can understand if you haven't, this is only my 3rd or 4th time in the 20 or so years that i've been politically aware that i have)

when you are, it's easy to understand how something like this excites the base and fires people up.

I think my skepticism w/r/t Obama and McCain should show you pretty well that I've never really bought into any of them. I think the two of them are the best their respective parties could offer, and they both kind of suck.

I expect nothing but the same from the Republican Convention, but I expect most of you to shit on it all weeklong. It's politics. Neither party is very different in the way they act, and that's why I don't care about either convention. It's all "rah rah, look how awesome we are" bullshit.

In my opinion.

Thoughts to those in New Orleans wondering if the levees will hold. Wonder if this will be mentioned @ the RNC? :brow

Yeah. Katrina was the republicans fault.

Never mind a completely incompetent local democratic party and an all around fucked up beauracracy that prevented anything from being done when it needed to be, regardless of who was running the thing.

I think my skepticism w/r/t Obama and McCain should show you pretty well that I've never really bought into any of them. I think the two of them are the best their respective parties could offer, and they both kind of suck.

I expect nothing but the same from the Republican Convention, but I expect most of you to shit on it all weeklong. It's politics. Neither party is very different in the way they act, and that's why I don't care about either convention. It's all "rah rah, look how awesome we are" bullshit.

In my opinion.

So are you voting?

I doubt many people would be able to maintain this level of enthusiasm if they knew what went on behind the scenes in their candidate's camp. Better still, I wonder how many people would be able to watch the competing party's convention and genuinely allow their opponents to enjoy their revelry - based upon different beliefs and philosophies as it may be - without rude remarks and condemnation. Let's face it - this all comes down to "I'm right and you're wrong and I don't want to hear otherwise, so let me get back to kissing this politician's ass."

I had a press pass to the 1992 one in NYC. A big drunken party is what it was.

So are you voting?

I know I'm about to demonize myself, but probably not. I have no faith in either major party to represent anything more than their interests, and our system is so fucked up that there's no point in voting independent. So I won't.

A no vote holds the same power as a vote for any of the non major candidates.

I might write in "George Carlin".

I know I'm about to demonize myself, but probably not. I have no faith in either major party to represent anything more than their interests, and our system is so fucked up that there's no point in voting independent. So I won't.

A no vote holds the same power as a vote for any of the non major candidates.

I might write in "George Carlin".

I'm not sure how that demonizes you. The right to not exercise your right to vote is just as powerful. Besides, a "nonvote" in 2004 was the only logical choice to make then.

Thoughts to those in New Orleans wondering if the levees will hold. Wonder if this will be mentioned @ the RNC? :brow

I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago and had lengthy conversations with about a half-dozen residents who rode out the storm. Their comments were unanimous:

1) The federal government waited too long. BUT ONLY BECAUSE THE STATE/LOCAL GOVERNMENT WAS ABSOLUTELY PARALYZED AND THE FEDS SHOULD HAVE FORCED THEIR WAY IN WHEN THE STATE WENT WEAK IN THE KNEES.

2) The local cops were useless and turned and ran.

3) Roving bands of local thieves and looters were the biggest worry. They should have been shot on sight.

I just saw on the news that assault rifles and ammunition are being snapped up in Louisiana. Sounds like the residents won't be taken by surprise again. Good for them.