New Election Thread

I can't imagine much that would have set further back the breaking down of color barriers than the election of the divisive and

underhanded on the sole basis of the color of their skin.

Indeed. My point.

Affirmative action draws opposition through exception. Regardless of countless valid candidates who deservedly advance, the one unqualified person passed along is a lightning rod for criticism.

Same with welfare and social programs. Regardless of the intrinsic value, just one "welfare mother" (makes better lovers) draws derision.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's certainly the irony of outsider vs. Washington insider.

McCain touts experience and reaches out for a newbie -- with "traditional, value-based" approach.

Obama, who runs as one above the Washington fray (experience in Washington is not necesessary) goes after one of the ultimate Dem insiders.

It sort of cuts the whole argument out from under each side -- can't knock Palin as an outsider and hold Obama up as one. Can't tout McCain's experience and overlook Biden.

Bigfoot better not try that in Georgia ...

many inconvenient details about these picks don't fit into your summary here, though it is a clever and concise summary.

But isn't that the goal, not to pretend race wasn't an issue but for race to no longer be an issue because it is not a factor.

Yes, and we're getting cloer to that, but we're not there yet. Therefore it's important and vital to recognize the achievement that took place last night.

I oversimplified, but it greatly impacts the approach of each side towards its opposition. That's my point.

that's true, and it's also been hitting me in the couple of minutes since i posted how extremely interesting mccain's pick of palin will make the campaign -- way more interesting than i could have imagined.

I can't imagine much that would have set further back the breaking down of color barriers than the election of the divisive and

underhanded on the sole basis of the color of their skin.

did i say election? i said the consideration/nomination... it was beside the point

reading comprehension is key!

also

CNN brings up a good question... she has 5 younger kids, the youngest of which is 4 months old with down syndrome, and how much time that could eat up vs. being Vice President?

McCain also loses his lack of experience jab for Obama, considering McCain's age and her being one heartbeat away from Pres

Biden vs. Palin debate will be very interesting...

Yes, and we're getting cloer to that, but we're not there yet. Therefore it's important and vital to recognize the achievement that took place last night.

I don't mean this to be negative, but to defend my point: Maybe last night happened because we're farther along than you think. Celebrate it? Sure. But to be amazed by it ignores the advancement of our society to enable it to happen.

I would venture further that if not for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson -- for better and worse -- last night wouldn't have happened.

The cynic in me would question whether this same group would be celebrating it if the black candidate accepting a presidential nomination was Condoleezza Rice. Your response about Pulin says the answer would be yes.

Well, Condy being nominated would be a mixed bag. It helps that Obama is the greatest politician my generation has ever seen, and one of the greatest public speakers in this nation's history.

did i say election? i said the consideration/nomination... it was beside the point

reading comprehension is key!

the discussion was about two divisive characters who did in fact run for president. they were considered, and considered loons. having spent a lifetime with Sharpton and his antics in our neck of the woods if you don't think he's off the reservation I suggest you folks move him out your way.

Sharpton's gotten a lot more mainstream the last decade though... i don't know that that's not that debateable

but do you honestly feel either were truly considered? i didn't say they'd have changed it for good, but they still would have broken down that barrier, which in and of itself, is a good thing. that was my only point. if either would have been elected, then i'd change my opinion based on their time in office.

Well, Condy being nominated would be a mixed bag. It helps that Obama is the greatest politician my generation has ever seen, and one of the greatest public speakers in this nation's history.

I was glad to see he spoke of the work of President Clinton last night.

Sharpton's gotten a lot more mainstream the last decade though... i don't know that that's not that debateable

but do you honestly feel either were truly considered? i didn't say they'd have changed it for good, but they still would have broken down that barrier, which in and of itself, is a good thing. that was my only point. if either would have been elected, then i'd change my opinion based on their time in office.

I think they were considered as much as they deserved. if either of those guys were white they wouldn't have gotten nearly as far. the shit that Sharpton pulled with Tawan Brawney (sp?) would have ended any white man's career if the colors were reversed.

I think they were considered as much as they deserved. if either of those guys were white they wouldn't have gotten nearly as far.

now that i can agree with

i think if nothing else, their runs sharp contrast with Obama's helped him actually :)

the discussion was about two divisive characters who did in fact run for president. they were considered, and considered loons. having spent a lifetime with Sharpton and his antics in our neck of the woods if you don't think he's off the reservation I suggest you folks move him out your way.

Sharpton is calculating, self-promoting. Looney? Perhaps. Savvy? Definitely.

One of our writers ran into him in the National Press Building. They talked about 10 minutes about the industries we cover, the writer ran back to the office and grabbed him a sample magazine. He said Sharpton took it between his fingers and gave him a look as if questioning if he was supposed to wipe his butt with it.

CNN brings up a good question... she has 5 younger kids, the youngest of which is 4 months old with down syndrome, and how much time that could eat up vs. being Vice President?

It's a good question that we're debating whether a working mom can handle what has always been a man's job? Aren't we all trying to make progress here?

now that i can agree with

i think if nothing else, their runs sharp contrast with Obama's helped him actually :)

right. and they ran on I'm black and it's our turn (yes, I know that's a serious over simplification) and it's the

thing that separates Obama from that sort of run. It revelatory for a black candiadate to run on issues and not

race in a national election. I'm still not nearly as revved up about him though as I don't

have much faith in the political system as it is. I think until a viable third party completely turns the whole

thing on its head we're stuck with varying shades of gray.