Election Year!!!

I could probably write a novel about voting machines and how the feds doled out millions upon millions of $$$ to the states for the state Election Commissions to buy new voting machines a few years ago and how said Commissions had no idea how to spend the money and how they screwed it all up because the feds gave them absolutely no guidance, etc. etc. but I won't.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just added "vote fixing" to my list of monster.com keywords. We'll see if that gets me any phone calls...

:worship

I could probably write a novel about voting machines and how the feds doled out millions upon millions of $$$ to the states for the state Election Commissions to buy new voting machines a few years ago and how said Commissions had no idea how to spend the money and how they screwed it all up because the feds gave them absolutely no guidance, etc. etc. but I won't.

That's a shame. It sounds like you've already written the book jacket.

Well, I just added "vote fixing" to my list of monster.com keywords. We'll see if that gets me any phone calls...

I take offense at that term. I'm pro-vote.

That's a shame. It sounds like you've already written the book jacket.

Isn't it though? I guess after dealing with the problems for the last, oh 4 years or so, I'm pretty much tired of it all. Not to mention disgusted.

McCain will get Ohio anyway. Let the cheaters waste their money buying people off.

I dunno, Ohio is far from a gimme for McCain. As of right now, McCain has , with the GOP convention going on right now. We'll see if he gets a post-convention bounce, but my guess is that this will stay pretty close as we go down the line.

I do have a hunch that McCain will end up taking OH. Obama got hammered in rural areas in the primary, although he fared well in the largest cities. Hillary won the blue-collar vote in most of the the mid-sized cities and Obama's ability to win the state absolutely depends on his ability to carry the cities that Hillary dominated. The rural vote is in McCain's pocket.

I take offense at that term. I'm pro-vote.

Me too. I'm also amused by words that have multiple meanings. :P The voting machines need to be fixed to protect against the vote being fixed.

But they've already thrown up their hands and said, "Oh well, I guess we're going to the polls with faulty equipment," even though there's still 2 months to the election. WTF is that? I write bank software for a living and my company would be crucified if we discovered a potential security glitch that could be exploited to prevent money from being added to people's bank accounts and we told them we wouldn't be able to fix it for months.

As we all know, Presidential elections are decided by electoral votes not the popular vote. National polls just cloud that issue in my opinion. Keeping in mind the post-DNC bump (although it seems to me McCain tanked with the Palin choice more than Obama got a post convention bump), right now (excluding too close to call states) Obama is very close tot the needed 270 electoral votes (2nd graph at the link below). That means that -- provided Obama doesn't LOSE his strong support in some of these states -- McCain would have to virtually sweep the battleground states. We're still a long way off, but to me, this is the best way to monitor the "race" if not the real issues.

Check out this site for more.

Me too. I'm also amused by words that have multiple meanings. :P The voting machines need to be fixed to protect against the vote being fixed.

But they've already thrown up their hands and said, "Oh well, I guess we're going to the polls with faulty equipment," even though there's still 2 months to the election. WTF is that? I write bank software for a living and my company would be crucified if we discovered a potential security glitch that could be exploited to prevent money from being added to people's bank accounts and we told them we wouldn't be able to fix it for months.

It doesn't have to even be the equipment. In 2004, they shorted a number of largely democratic precincts on ballots and number of machines, forcing voters to have to return, or stand in long lines, while more conservative precincts were flush with booths half of which weren't even used.

There are all sorts of ways to not rig an election, but to make the process more ... err ... flaccid.

As we all know, Presidential elections are decided by electoral votes not the popular vote. National polls just cloud that issue in my opinion. Keeping in mind the post-DNC bump (although it seems to me McCain tanked with the Palin choice more than Obama got a post convention bump), right now (excluding too close to call states) Obama is very close tot the needed 270 electoral votes (2nd graph at the link below). That means that -- provided Obama doesn't LOSE his strong support in some of these states -- McCain would have to virtually sweep the battleground states. We're still a long way off, but to me, this is the best way to monitor the "race" if not the real issues.

Check out this site for more.

Looking at the recent results is like admiring a tree and ignoring the forest. The ground McCain has made up over the past few months is impressive, to say the least.

It still amazes me that most blue collar folk can't get past race and political party to see that Obama (from IL) has more focus on expansion of alternative energy that will recreate manufacturing and decrease fossil fuel dependence. McCain simply wants to give more funds to the fossil fuel industry for expansion.

Looking at the recent results is like admiring a tree and ignoring the forest. The ground McCain has made up over the past few months is impressive, to say the least.

It looked more like he's had several near catches and has fallen flat.

Well that's the point. If you look at the forest (the national polls), as you say, it is impressive (and I'm not denying McCain a successful campaign so far). But on an electoral basis, he hasn't really done much. Of course it is early and things will shift, but Obama hasn't lost his strong support in states that add up to almost an electoral victory. Again, that could change, but electorally McCain hasn't really gained much. What he HAS done is make up a lot of ground in battleground states. BUT he still has to win almost ALL of those states as it stands now. A tall order.

A recent Washington Post story pointed out what McCain is up against:

"but nobody has ever been elected to a third term for the same party in bad economic times," Beckel noted. "No one's ever been elected to a third term when you have an unpopular war. And most importantly, no one has been elected to a third term with an unpopular incumbent president. . . . Yet McCain has all three of those problems."

And despite all this he's running neck and neck with Obama. I would think Obama supporters would be pulling their hair out over this.

The WP story was, ironically on the day before Bush spoke via video at the convention, about how McCain and Rep. candidates are trying to distance themselves from Bush's administration:

"Chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, has advised his candidates for election this fall to stay away from St. Paul -- better to stay home and campaign this week than be associated with the national party and its tribulations."

A recent Washington Post story pointed out what McCain is up against:

"And despite all this he's running neck and neck with Obama. I would think Obama supporters would be pulling their hair out over this.

Must be Bill Kristol inspired. dillhole.

Like someone else said, 'by nat'l samples'. Yes, Obama prolly would feel safer being ahead by more electorally, but it still appears fairly safe even when you give the close states to McCain. However, the old broken record of a lot can happen between now and then is in the back of everyone's mind.

Well that's the point. If you look at the forest (the national polls), as you say, it is impressive (and I'm not denying McCain a successful campaign so far). But on an electoral basis, he hasn't really done much. Of course it is early and things will shift, but Obama hasn't lost his strong support in states that add up to almost an electoral victory. Again, that could change, but electorally McCain hasn't really gained much. What he HAS done is make up a lot of ground in battleground states. BUT he still has to win almost ALL of those states as it stands now. A tall order.

You can slice and dice numbers however you wish. Those iffy states in 2004 made the difference for Bush, when looking at the 2nd chart it showed Kerry had healthy leads that eroded about the same time.

I would also assume the number and content of "iffy states" changes throughout the polling so today's solid states for Obama may be "iffy states" in two weeks. Currently, a great deal of the "iffy states" are leaning towards McCain. That can change.

The only numbers that really count is how they finish. And if polling was an exact science, we wouldn't have to vote.

I read in the paper that the impregnator kid "Levi" is being shipped to the RNC. I feel for this kid. On his myspace page, he stated he didn't want kids. Obviously that was his own mistake, but 5 months ago when this girl became pregnant, he had no idea he would be turned into a symbol of pro-life policies in action. He's going to be on a national stage tonight with the family. Shit.

I read in the paper that the impregnator kid "Levi" is being shipped to the RNC. I feel for this kid. On his myspace page, he stated he didn't want kids. Obviously that was his own mistake, but 5 months ago when this girl became pregnant, he had no idea he would be turned into a symbol of pro-life policies in action. He's going to be on a national stage tonight with the family. Shit.

There's an interview with his mother at this site - towards the bottom of the page.

Whenever I see clips from the RNC, I can't help but think of the film Idiocracy.

You can slice and dice numbers however you wish. Those iffy states in 2004 made the difference for Bush, when looking at the 2nd chart it showed Kerry had healthy leads that eroded about the same time.

I would also assume the number and content of "iffy states" changes throughout the polling so today's solid states for Obama may be "iffy states" in two weeks. Currently, a great deal of the "iffy states" are leaning towards McCain. That can change.

The only numbers that really count is how they finish. And if polling was an exact science, we wouldn't have to vote.

I believe I said this in BOTH of my previous posts. I'm merely stating that the national polls that were being talked about earlier aren't, in my opinion, the best indicator of election results as we have an electoral process. No one is suggesting Obama has it locked up based on today's polling numbers. But to say that McCain has made huge gains in national polls, misses the point that those numbers aren't how Presidents are elected.

... he may.

AP & NPR saying he'll be on stage with the family when she accepts the vp pick. He left Alaska yesterday morning. I'm assuming that means he'll be on stage tonight and Thursday.

I like how his mom says they were already planning to get married and the baby is a "bonus."