Election Year!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, all of you.

I just cannot see how Obama can attack her for not having experience. I kind of think her presidential candidate kind of makes up for it.

How does it hurt Obama to point that out? It doesn't, so he does. So goes teh presidential campaign process.

Haven't Obama supporters been arguing that experience is overrated when running for President?

Maybe. Haven't Obama detractors been arguing that experience is crucial? Isn't that their strongest attack against him? So the GOP went and selected a first-term governor from the least-densely populated state in America to be the VP to a guy who would be the oldest president to take office. Seems to me they just undercut their own best argument and will be relying strictly on the baby-killer stigma from here on out.

experience is relevant. the degree of it's relevancy and one's definition of 'experience' seems to be a sticking point.

more so for me, it's not just what you did. it's how you did it, what you are going to parlay that into moving forward and how you'll do the 'what'.

First of all, the word 'maverick' needs to be stricken from the political lexicon, particularly because it isn't usually applied very well. Secondly, her "I identify with her because she's a mother" honestly carries about as much weight as "George Bush seems like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with." Its shallow reasoning--it doesn't really tell you anything about the person's professional qualifications--but those first impressions are important, especially since the thing about running a complete unknown is that you can project upon her whatever qualities you want to see. (to be fair, the same could be said about Obama's campaign and I think he is just now reaching the point where most people are getting to "know" him--which, I suppose, means that we probably won't really "know" Palin until sometime after the election, conveniently enough) Anyway, I'll be curious to talk with my sis-in-law again soon to see how/if her opinion has changed.

The Maverick image is just that an image. It applies to McCain because in the past he has not been a 100% orthodox republican. I think since about 9/11/01 he has been toeing the party line fiarly well. Hell in my book Bush was more of a maverick than McCain. Why? Because for eight years he has been pursuing policy that is very far outside the mainstream. McCain used to just buck the Republicna party on occasion, Bush has been bucking the whole country consistently for eight years.

The whole Bush/Beer thing was an invention of his campagin that they sold masterfully. MMost people woudl not want to have abeer with Bush because he is a condescending bully and makes no bones about it. Everyone who comes into his presence knows they willl at some point face the possiblity of being ridiculed. from the derogatory nick names to flat out bullying. Heck of a guy to have a beer with.

Morality isn't a straight line drawn across every issue.

How can you be anti-war and then support the murder of innocent babies? The argument works both ways, and you undercut your own argument that way.

Who supports the murder of innocent babies? What people support is privacy and a womans right to choose her own path and make decisions about her body for herself. Annd it comes down to when you think a fetus is a baby? And that definition has never been set in stone or fully defined except in law. Morality is not a striaght line and we all decide our own morality to some extent, while society defines some of it for us too..

I think there's a leap in logic in here somewhere ...

In a Reuters story, "Obama told CNN on Monday that Palin's level of experience as a former mayor of tiny Wasilla, Alaska, did not match his own, citing the size of his campaign.

" "My understanding is that Gov. Palin's town, Wasilla, has I think 50 employees. We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million dollars a year -- we have a budget of about three times that just for the month," Obama had said.

"McCain adviser Carly Fiorina said she was appalled and accused him of sexism."

Where did pointing out lack of qualifications, or questioning experience, make it sexist?!?!

It will be the standard answer when questioning her...any question that makes her uncomfortable, she can not answer, exposes ambiguous positions or is too dificult for her to answer will be sexist. Just as every annswer for McCain will always swing back to his years as a POW. It will be their stump answers so to speak. If it were Giulliani the answer to every question would be 911

Seems to me they just undercut their own best argument and will be relying strictly on the baby-killer stigma from here on out.

I must have missed that notification from the RNC that the entire platform would be tossed out in favor of focusing entirely on baby-killing.

Yes, all of you.

I just cannot see how Obama can attack her for not having experience. I kind of think her presidential candidate kind of makes up for it.

I don't argue the experience part -- in fact, that's why I thought Palin made a great strategic move for McCain because it knocks the stilts out of that argument.

I just don't understand where it makes him sexist. If Republicans attack Obama for lack of experience, does that make them racist?

experience is relevant. the degree of it's relevancy and one's definition of 'experience' seems to be a sticking point.

more so for me, it's not just what you did. it's how you did it, what you are going to parlay that into moving forward and how you'll do the 'what'.

Well put. And that's why I'm still largely on the fence between the two candidates.

First of all, the word 'maverick' needs to be stricken from the political lexicon, particularly because it isn't usually applied very well. Secondly, her "I identify with her because she's a mother" honestly carries about as much weight as "George Bush seems like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with.

Yes! Please remove the use of "maverick" as a political tool. I want my president to be level headed and take the time to listen to the people. If the McCain of today would stop listening to George Bush and possibly the people, he'd see the majority doesn't buy into Bush's BS anymore.

How can you be anti-war and then support the murder of innocent babies? The argument works both ways, and you undercut your own argument that way.

Not really, as I concede it is often necessary to wage war in which civilians will be killed, as I also agree abortion is justifiable. My problem with the pro-life position, is that they often support one, while, out of the other side of their mouth, try to make the other illegal.

Plus, didn't you already do the "plate of embryos vs. a human" thing and get ridiculed for it because it's a ridiculous argument?

No, it

My point all along has been not to give the republicans a free ride on the issues. . . . I
Here's a list of 75 flip-flops by McCain since running for election from the The Official McCain Flip-Flop List-http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/flipflops

I realize all politicians flip-flop. But for real, this is ridiculous.

Thanks for posting this....very illuminating. It's a good thing when leaders revise their positions based on new facts and evidence, it means they're paying attention and are willing to grow and change their minds when new information comes to light. But some of these "flip-flops" took place in a matter of a couple of weeks, and even a couple of days. That shows an obvious intent to say whatever is necessary to get people on his side.

What's great about this article is that it has links to everything, backing up the claims.

It's scary to think that if he switches opinions so easily on major cornerstone issues, what is he going to "change his mind about" if he's elected?

Yes, all of you.

I am thinking the adjective 'national' or 'international' was left out prior to the noun "experience". She has plenty of experience shooting moose (per F.Thompson), raising lots of kids, going to church, being a hockey mom, and finally being the governor of Alaska for a brief while. Oh, she was also a mayor and PTA something or other. So her adjective would be "executive" as it relates to its noun "experience". However we cannot also use "national" or "international".

Check your inbox again. I'm pretty sure its in there.

you are too funny today! i love it.

Since there is such an issue about abortion and the use of it by McCain/Palin, take a look @ how McCain really feels about it, or does he know?

In 1999, John McCain on Roe vs. Wade:

"I'd love to see a point where it is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term,
I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade
, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations."

In a 2006 interview on ABC's "This Week", McCain stated:

"I don't think a constitutional amendment is probably going to take place, but I do believe that it's very likely or possible that
the Supreme Court should - could overturn Roe v. Wade
, which would then return these decisions to the states,
which I support.
"

But by 2008, it is back to:

"I'm a federalist. Just as I believe that the issue of gay marriage should be decided by the states, so do I believe that we would be better off by having Roe v. Wade return to the states. And
I don't believe the Supreme Court should be legislating in the way that they did on Roe v. Wade.
"

If McCain did reverse
Roe v. Wade
, it doesn't mean much. Because all states have laws now that legalize abortion. It would take years for a states to make abortion illegal again. It's a stupid thing to run a conservative election on. It's complete BS pandering!

Check your inbox again. I'm pretty sure its in there.

Ya think?

you are too funny today! i love it.

:rotfl

Yeah he brought his A material today for sure!

If McCain did reverse Roe v. Wade, it doesn't mean much. Because all states have laws now that legalize abortion. It would take years for a states to make abortion illegal again. It's a stupid thing to run a conservative election on. It's complete BS pandering!

House 'o cards. The reason all states have laws legalizing abortion is that any laws to make it illegal have been struck down due to Row v Wade.

i agree with all of the above. what i don't think makes for a policy issue is how palin handled her last month of pregnancy logistically, that's all (that's what stuck out to me in your recounting of that stuff, earlier today). i think it's too small and too subjective a call; as an issue it distracts from much larger ones, including the conflicts between her pro-life position and several other of her views.

The last month of her pregnancy is not a policy issue, but it is an issue that resonates with women who, even those who are prochoice, are fiercely protective of their children. This is exactly the sort of story that will turn a certain number of women voters off instantly. So they have a tight rope to walk. Do they tell the story and try to sell it as a "see how tough she is" sort of thing and try to win voters that way, or do they hoope it dies and avoid riisking the alienation of many motherly types? Democrats don't need to push this one, it's already out there. From hhere it is all about how they try to handle it.

I'm curious to find out out how Palin is coming across now, after a few days to digest. (I suppose we'll know more after her convention speech)

The morning after the announcement, I was watching the news with my sister-in-law, who isn't overly political or at least not tied to any party, and she was in a full swoon over Palin. I asked why and her response was that "She's a woman, and a mother". For that, she can relate to her. "But what else do you know about her?" I asked. And she replied, "Nothing, but the TV people describe her as a 'maverick', and I like that."

First of all, the word 'maverick' needs to be stricken from the political lexicon, particularly because it isn't usually applied very well. Secondly, her "I identify with her because she's a mother" honestly carries about as much weight as "George Bush seems like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with." Its shallow reasoning--it doesn't really tell you anything about the person's professional qualifications--but those first impressions are important, especially since the thing about running a complete unknown is that you can project upon her whatever qualities you want to see. (to be fair, the same could be said about Obama's campaign and I think he is just now reaching the point where most people are getting to "know" him--which, I suppose, means that we probably won't really "know" Palin until sometime after the election, conveniently enough) Anyway, I'll be curious to talk with my sis-in-law again soon to see how/if her opinion has changed.

your sister-in-law is likely to be in even fuller swoon after palin's convention speech, and i'll be interested to hear. people falling in love with her over impressions and other surface stuff now will probably project more of what they want to believe onto her tonight. she speaks decently, she's prettier than mccain, and the folks at that convention must be dying for something to jump up and down about after the first couple of coma-like days.

your sister-in-law really needs to talk with you a bit more, including the listening part, in my opinion!

House 'o cards. The reason all states have laws legalizing abortion is that any laws to make it illegal have been struck down due to Row v Wade.

Running on abortion and overturning Roe vs Wade is complete BS. It could happen, but there is no way each state will make it illegal. Even South Dakota, part of the Bible Belt, didn't criminalize abortion in 2006 when it came on the ballot.It's a big waste of $$ and time, and it's not much would happen in the 4-8 years McCain could be in office. There are bigger issues to focus on!

Pro-life supporters should realize if this happens, states choosing, they will lose. It's not going to happen in America ever. Leave it be, have your thoughts on it, and just let woman choose for themselves.

I, for one, still want to bang her.

i'm tired of you taking the high road.