Brand Spanking New Election Thread

In closing, I'd just like to say that voting gives you a free pass to complain. Not voting means stfu. speaking metaphorically, that is.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't have to vote in order to have free speech.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but more of the same means more of the same. BTW, you're starting to smell a little like a libertarian, except for the public financed campaigns business. I don't think libertarians go for government money being spent that way.

Where are you on social spending?

I'm not sure, it all depends on how we go about raising the money for it. If we've got the money, I'm for social spending. Right now, I'd say it's not a very good idea, given how things are going.

And Louie, the real decision is between President Obama and President Palin? Come on, man.

You can decide Obama doesn't support this or does support that and on and on until you are exhausted, but really do you want a more right wing Supreme Court (and yes that is an excellent single reason to vote Obama), and simply more of the same old Karl Rove, Dick Cheney policies of the past 8 years? If not then stop trying to sort out all the reasons NOT to vote for Obama and vote for him. He is young, intelligent, from Chicago, likes Wilco, African American, liberal, thoughtful, and a bunch of other things. If you don't vote for him we may get Ron Paul or Ralph Nader if there is suddenly a rush to vote for that elusive third party candidate, but more likely we are getting President Palin/McCain. After some contemplation about this, is this what you want? If so go for it

This is my problem with these discussions. You are working under the assumption that the things you think are best for the country are the same as what I think are best. They aren't. Sorry!

And it makes me sad that you really do believe there is no point in voting for anyone outside of Obama or McCain (and, in your case, at least, no point in voting for anyone besides Obama, but whatever). Why even bother voting, then? One of them is going to win, and if I don't think they'll be a good president, I'm fucked!

I'd like to echo Louie's sentiments and also say that it is too late for a third party candidate at this point. There's no way anyone will get enough traction for a useful write in vote. That ship has sailed.

In closing, I'd just like to say that voting gives you a free pass to complain. Not voting means stfu. speaking metaphorically, that is.

i'm not talking a write in vote, ralph nader in on 45 of 50 state ballots. He isn't a write in. The fact that he could qualify to be on these ballots (had to collect thousands of signatures in each state) should give him the right to appear in the debate.

Jesse Ventura one the Minnesota governor position in its final weeks. It was a matter of getting him in the debates. Once people herd his argument against the other candidates they knew he was the man for the job. If there was larger media coverage maybe we'd have a different race. Ventura got part of that "i don't vote" group to come out and vote.

If america ever wants to actually have a democracy we need a third party.

Horse shit. It's not breaking a law to not vote. A person may have reasons to not vote that simply don't mean anything to others. It's a choice. That simple. It doesn't mean you automatically secede your voice. I've never understood that unless you are part of the system that your rights to express your opinions are revoked.

Well I found out that our state, MO, requires equal number of Dems and Reps as pollworkers. That helps decrease my fear of cheating, somewhat. I registered to work at a poll. Check your state, maybe you can too.

I thought this was the standard. Is it different from state to state?

Just think of all the things that could be done with this amount of bread:

Obama raises $66 million in August

Ben Smith 2 hours, 28 minutes ago

Sen. Barack Obama raised $66 million in the month of August, making it his best month ever and the best in American political history, an aide said Sunday morning.

Obama is releasing that number after suggestions that his fundraising was failing to meet expectations. It puts him on pace to substantially outspend John McCain in the last two months of the race, in which McCain will be limited to spending the $84 million supplied by the Treasury under public financing rules.

Obama's large take, and the expectation that he'll raise even more in the race's final two months, may put to rest some Democrats' worries that he'd made a mistake by opting out of public financing.

It doesn't mean the Democrats will outspend the Republicans this year, though. The Republican National Committee's cash advantage over the Democratic National Committee, in combination with swelling outside spending, will likely allow McCain to level the playing field, though the fact that Obama has raised the money himself, in small chunks, gives him direct control over how it's spent, and fewer concerns about technical limits on spending.

An Obama aide said the campaign added 500,000 new donors to its rolls in August. The new figure

Simply looking at Tweedlings avatar is enough to get me to vote Obama...... :lol

LouieB

I've thought about sending that pic to my mom along with a fake news story about how he's all for protecting smoker's rights in an effort to get her to vote for him.

I just spent way too much time reading this thread. That was my choice as it was to read similiar ones. I am convinced that certain posters would be unable to have the same exchange face to face. They would start laughing or at the very least start smiling because they are saying things that they don't believe simply to watch the show. That is the uniqueness of message board debates. It is easy to have an enjoyable time getting someone to respond to you whether you are stating your actual convictions or not. You can type on a keyboard in the privacy of your own space and laugh your ass off. Few people can say insincere words - well they are sincerely meant to push the right button but you know what I'm saying - to such a degree in person and keep a straight face. I'm not saying anything you don't already know. I am just keeping it fresh in your minds.

;)

I just spent way too much time reading this thread. That was my choice as it was to read similiar ones. I am convinced that certain posters would be unable to have the same exchange face to face. They would start laughing or at the very least start smiling because they are saying things that they don't believe simply to watch the show. That is the uniqueness of message board debates. It is easy to have an enjoyable time getting someone to respond to you whether you are stating your actual convictions or not. You can type on a keyboard in the privacy of your own space and laugh your ass off. Few people can say insincere words - well they are sincerely meant to push the right button but you know what I'm saying - to such a degree in person and keep a straight face. I'm not saying anything you don't already know. I am just keeping it fresh in your minds.

;)

Huh? :yucky

FWIW, I think the media gave Ron Paul, et al., a fair amount of publicity. Had they gotten any traction in the polls, I am sure they would have gotten more. And there's always the Internet, where anyone can see anything they like. So, it could be that the message of Ron Paul and Nader and McKinney and suchlike, just do not resonate with enough Americans to make them players.

Huh? :yucky

Do you disagree that there are message board posters, especially in political threads, that enjoy the responses they can elicit more than they care about the issue being debated?

The Green Mckinney/Clemente ticket is a serious joke. I'm a supporter of many, if not most of McKinney's issues, but her approach is not Presidental, and Clemente makes me laugh really hard. :lol

Check out the other woman who thinks she is fit to be VP. She's bringing hip-hop to the White House.

Do you disagree that there are message board posters, especially in political threads, that enjoy the reponses they can elicit more than they care about the issue being debated?

No, I don't agree. I find it insulting you start out by informing us you wasted tooooo much time reading what we say here, and across the VC board. I for one give a shit about this election, and the posts on VC people take the time out to post. There have been thousands of posts on the election threads that give valuable info & create some sweet debate. Your post is given merely to look cool and above those that post....like trying to get a reaction. :monkey

Like I said, if it's such a waste of your time to read our thoughts, than don't do it.

Do you disagree that there are message board posters, especially in political threads, that enjoy the responses they can elicit more than they care about the issue being debated?

Care to say who you are talking about?

You are looking like a pretty big hypocrit right now, for what it's worth.

Hey dcarter: Four posts into this thread it became a "is there anybody left to change their mind?" thread more than an "issues" thread. It's probably not what mountainbed had in mind but it is what it is. If you want to call me out or others out it's fine, but be kind enough to do so instead of making a generalization. I'll gladly go to bat for what I've said as it wasn't to push buttons or elicit responses but to respond to Louie B.'s query. :peace