The like, newest new election thread

Directly following the debate, Pat Buchanan (on Fox News) said Palin wiped the floor with Biden and that she is "the most attractive" of all four candidates. Eww.

Guiliani followed on fox with the declaration that palin demonstrated one of the most persuasive debate performances he had ever seen.

he sounded almost as passionate as when he justified waiting until florida to compete in the republican primary.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBS News Poll of uncommitted voters: I don't give a shit....Palin was great.

Biden came across very well I thought. I've always liked him as being pretty fair and understanding and accommodating to other thoughts. But many pundits afterwards pointed out more than 5 factual errors Biden spouted (ex: McCain DID vote for more spending on troops while Obama did not).

Obama supporters mentioned a few things they thought Palin was wrong about, but those were mostly arguable points (ex: the troops being to pre-surge levels...the current troop level is close to equal of the pre-surge count...people can't seem to agree if it's a few thousand more or less).

Taken all into account...energy, personality, personable-ness, relating to the viewers, smarts, facts, gestures, presentation...Palin clearly won. To me, that's not debatable. If some think Biden's substance was greater...fine, I'm OK with that.

Palin, in one sentence, said, "Say it ain't so, Joe...there you go again....your mother was a teacher for 30 years, God bless her....her reward lies in Heaven."

Many of you probably laughed or choked on your vomit when you heard that, but that line was GOLDEN. Millions of Americans eat that stuff up.

She's awesome. Too bad McCain doesn't have even one-third of her "it" factor.

biden knew the mccain record/platform better than his own running mate. that's not a slam and i don't think she is an idiot...it's just an area that makes me extrememly uncomfortable.

it's all been said in here over the past few pages. palin gave a performance geared at garnering popularity via personality. unfortunately, for me, that equates to bringing a 'running for grade school class president' approach to a flipping united states vice presidential debate. i feel insulted by that and further insulted by her contrived 'regular folk' speak...a complete amped up cartoon version of how real 'regular' americans talk. you want me to look at you as a viable and intelligent candidate? act like one and give me some effing substance.

we don't need another 'joe sixpack' or 'maverick' or 'cowboy' in office, we had that for eight years and that dog doesn't hunt for me...i'm hoping it doesn't hunt for the rest of america burned by that type of administration as well. youbetcha.

I looked at the Fact Checks sites, and I think we can all agree that both sides are basically equally guilty.

The thing that drove me nuts was how Biden kept bringing up the 4 billion tax break for Exxon. He must have said that 5 times. And sure enough, you look into the fact checks, and the matter is way more gray than the black and white that Biden paints it as.

BIDEN: Said McCain supports tax breaks for oil companies, and "wants to give them another $4 billion tax cut."

THE FACTS: Biden is repeating a favorite saw of the Obama campaign, and it's misleading. McCain supports a cut in income taxes for all corporations, and doesn't single out any one industry for that benefit.

what's with that winking crap?

I looked at the Fact Checks sites, and I think we can all agree that both sides are basically equally guilty.

The thing that drove me nuts was how Biden kept bringing up the 4 billion tax break for Exxon. He must have said that 5 times. And sure enough, you look into the fact checks, and the matter is way more gray than the black and white that Biden paints it as.

BIDEN: Said McCain supports tax breaks for oil companies, and "wants to give them another $4 billion tax cut."

THE FACTS: Biden is repeating a favorite saw of the Obama campaign, and it's misleading. McCain supports a cut in income taxes for all corporations, and doesn't single out any one industry for that benefit.

nice edit on that previous post.

Millions of Americans eat that stuff up.

She's awesome. Too bad McCain doesn't have even one-third of her "shit" factor.

Millions of Americans eating that stuff up is arguably the biggest reason why America has the problems that it does.

Taken all into account...energy, personality, personable-ness, relating to the viewers, smarts, facts, gestures, presentation...Palin clearly won. To me, that's not debatable. If some think Biden's substance was greater...fine, I'm OK with that.

Convenient that you left out this factor in your "taken all into account": Answering the moderator's questions. Hell, even she repeatedly said "I may not answer the questions the moderator asks" - because really, why would she? But if you're as ok with ignoring that as she was, then yes, she CLEARLY won.

Or even offering an answer that had a coherent through-line, rather than just a pyramid of disconnected soundbites. I can't imagine hearing Palin's rolling answers and considering that strong "presentation."

True - ABC did some of that following the debate, and it was embarrassing for everyone.

i tell you, i'm very surprsised nobody in here (especially in here) brought up her agreeing w/ the dick cheney approach to the vp position...that it is both legislative and executive, versus what it's supposed to be. i thought joe punctuated exactly how dangerous that type of view is very nicely.

also, anybody thinks she made some of the religious conservative base she was brought in to capture by her suprisingly tolerant response to the gay community? i kind of got the vibe she agreed to something their platform doesn't really step up to.

biden knew the mccain record/platform better than his own running mate. that's not a slam and i don't think she is an idiot...it's just an area that makes me extrememly uncomfortable.

it's all been said in here over the past few pages. palin gave a performance geared at garnering popularity via personality. unfortunately, for me, that equates to bringing a 'running for grade school class president' approach to a flipping united states vice presidential debate. i feel insulted by that and further insulted by her contrived 'regular folk' speak...a complete amped up cartoon version of how real 'regular' americans talk. you want me to look at you as a viable and intelligent candidate? act like one and give me some effing substance.

we don't need another 'joe sixpack' or 'maverick' or 'cowboy' in office, we had that for eight years and that dog doesn't hunt for me...i'm hoping it doesn't hunt for the rest of america burned by that type of administration as well. youbetcha.

Word. I really can't stand being talked at like I'm in second grade. I have never, in my admittedly brief voting career, encountered a candidate as annoying as Palin.

I felt more as though she was attempting to appeal to both sides regarding the gay issue.

Millions of Americans eating that stuff up is arguably the biggest reason why America has the problems that it does.

You can deny or not like the fact that many Americans....particularly in the midwest....rally around being "normal" people who fear God, work hard and like people who radiate positivity and hopefulness and wholesmomeness.

But are there millions of us out there?

Youbetcha!