The like, newest new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me out here, should I also drink if Joe Biden comments on the whole "maverick" thing? Because he's just said it four times and I'm gonna be bombed pretty soon. :stunned

I KNOW! I think I'm going to change my screen name to MAVERICK!!!!

I wish I was playing a drinking game, and had to do a shot every time I heard the word maverick. I'd be crawling to the bathroom right now.

Just told a friend of mine that, except I used the word "also".

She sounds like Edna Boil from SCTV.

Hey - did any Mr. Show fans notice McCain's use of "festooned" in last week's debate? Cracked my shit up.

That's funny - I thought of that the first time I saw her.

So palin is still a dumbass?

Really?

No, I thought she came off as more informed than in her previous interviews but it was very obvious she'd been coached on certain points and was only comfortable with said points, at times directly avoiding answering questions that were asked of her.

Wow was that really one sentence?

How close am I?

well done. I will say she acquitted herself on a personal level, as in she's appealling and likeable -- for a PTA parent, but not a Vice President. But she doesn't know a thing about the issues that she hasn't been fed. And Biden was great in substance and tone.

Gosh darn, darn right, say it ain't so joe, you betcha, we're gonna help ya....yeah, a little annoying.

Annoying, yes. Catering to lots of regular folks who may not know much about the issues, yes also.

No, I thought she came off as more informed than in her previous interviews but it was very obvious she'd been coached on certain points and was only comfortable with said points, at times directly avoiding answering questions that were asked of her.

I would have used the word "scripted" in that sentence.

I only caught the second half. I will give Palin credit where it is due, she was a very poised debater--she does indeed speak in "glittering generalities" almost all of the time, but she somehow manages to do so effectively.

In terms of substance, Biden clearly was more knowledgeable on...well, everything. And then Palin would chime in with a "Oh there you go again, Joe" or something like that and was off and running with her "folksiness" and "aw shucks, I don't know how you people in Washington see things". It was irritating to me because she almost never actually said anything, but I'm sure people who were already inclined to like her or were maybe still on the fence probably liked it because she was very poised. But there was no there there. About ten times I shouted at the screen, "Jesus, enough with the happy-talk, fangirl stuff about how super McCain is!!" :frusty I get it, that's her role--to support the primary candidate. But I really didn't get the sense, on most of the questions, that she could elaborate further if the format permitted it. Instead she'd gush about how great John is. That's great that you think that--what do you bring to the ticket?

Biden, I thought, handled himself extremely well. Honestly, my initial post-debate reaction is more favorable for him than how I initially felt last week about Obama. Joe showed he knows this stuff inside and out--he didn't at all feel like he was working off of scripted talking points all the time--and is obviously passionate about what he was saying. If that's what we're looking for here, I thought he did fantastic.