The like, newest new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBS Evening News, September 30, 2008. Katie Couric asks Sarah Palin about her stance on abortion - specifically in the cases of incest and rape - and the "morning after" pill.

Sarah Palin on flute.

The other one is a swimsuit video - I wonder who is putting these videos out there.

This is perhaps my largest reason for voting against the Republicans in 2006 and again this November. One of my "macro" issues is the restoration of the Constitution and the checks-and-balances system. I'm baffled by how so few self-described conservatives are outraged by this Administration's abuses;

Amen, brutha!!

Wrong. I agree that legal interpretation has turned partisan in the minds of many. And there are different approaches to interpreting legal texts. I happen to agree strongly with relying on what is actually written in these texts.

But, when you have justices that start relying on their "heart" to determine the outcome of cases, a justice ceases to be an interpreter of the law and begins to be an advocate and pseudo-lawmaker, which is not what the judiciary was established to do. The problem is that the further down the road we go in this respect, the less the Constitution actually means because then it can mean whatever the majority of justices wish it to mean.

The Constitution was not created to flow with the tide and the whims of the majority. Its purpose is the exact opposite.

I agree, but it strikes me as more than coincidence that conservative judges interpret the constitution using their own conservative biases, while liberal judges do the same, only more liberally. As much as we

Sarah Palin on flute.

The other one is a swimsuit video - I wonder who is putting these videos out there.

Could you explain to me where she wants to force 16 year olds to have rapists' babies?

This is probably the worst thing I have heard Obama say, and is the main reason I'm voting against him (although, there are plenty of others).

Interesting, hundreds of pages of posts of railing against Obama and this is the first I hear of this being your main reason for not voting for him. All along I thought it was because he is not a conservative.

Sorry bobob....taking this vote for granted is a fools game. We saw what happened in FLA in 2000 (and the vote in Ohio in 2004) and it wasn't pretty. Every vote counts unless you WANT a President Palin. And maybe you do, since I honestly can't figure out what you do want.

LouieB

oh shit, my bad. I completely forgot there is no point discussing this with you. Silly me.

Interesting, hundreds of pages of posts of railing against Obama and this is the first I hear of this being your main reason for not voting for him. All along I thought it was because he is not a conservative.

This issue hasn't come up very often, but you also haven't been paying attention.

From a week ago

I have to wonder what McCain thinks of all of the Palin interviews. He must just grit his teeth and wonder why they forced this crazy broad on him. The video is simply astounding.

I'm guessing that thse interviews simply reinforce his annd republicans views to never trust the press because they actually might print or broadcast what you actually say rather than simply take the message and run.

David Letterman devoted his top 10 Wednesday night to "Things Overheard at Sarah Palin's Debate Camp." Among the remarks were, "Maybe we'll get lucky and there won't be any questions about Iraq, taxes, or health care," and "John Edwards wants to know if you'd like some private tutoring in his van." Coming in at No. 1 was, "Any way we can just get Tina Fey to do it?"

Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee, will debate her Democratic rival Joe Biden Thursday night at Washington University in St. Louis.

Both running mates have limited their public events to devote time to debate prep. The Alaska governor spent time at John McCain's retreat in Sedona, Ariz., while Biden, a Delaware senator, was near his home in Wilmington, Del.

Comedians also seized on Palin's responses from her recent interviews with CBS News anchor Katie Couric.

"Last night during an interview on CBS, Sarah Palin said, 'One of my best friends is a lesbian and I love her dearly,'" Conan O'Brien said. "After hearing this, Bill Clinton said, 'Prove it.'"

I'm guessing that thse interviews simply reinforce his annd republicans views to never trust the press because they actually might print or broadcast what you actually say rather than simply take the message and run.

But she's being censored!!! :omg

I'm reading all these pre-debate articles and getting pretty ill over all the hand-wringing over how Biden approaches Palin in order not to appear like he's picking on the poor defenseless little woman. Please. I mean, I know, I know. Clearly we don't live in a perfect world where gender equality is yet a reality, but this whole "delicate flower" crap really is setting the cause of feminism back about 50 years. I'm glad my three daughters aren't old enough yet for me to have to explain to them why the female candidate has to be treated so carefully and can't be called out, even if she deserves it. Oy.

I'm reading all these pre-debate articles and getting pretty ill over all the hand-wringing over how Biden approaches Palin in order not to appear like he's picking on the poor defenseless little woman. Please. I mean, I know, I know. Clearly we don't live in a perfect world where gender equality is yet a reality, but this whole "delicate flower" crap really is setting the cause of feminism back about 50 years. I'm glad my three daughters aren't old enough yet for me to have to explain to them why the female candidate has to be treated so carefully and can't be called out, even if she deserves it. Oy.

how can a woman who can slaughter and gut a moose be called "delicate?" :huh

"Last night during an interview on CBS, Sarah Palin said, 'One of my best friends is a lesbian and I love her dearly,'" Conan O'Brien said. "After hearing this, Bill Clinton said, 'Prove it.'"

Awesome.

The whole week for the Republicans has been about pre-positioning. They have a prepositioned excuse in Ifill if Palin performs poorly ditto for how the press handles her. If she perfomrs poorly but Biden treats her the way McCain treated Obama, they have another pre-positoned excuse. And on and on. They have this thing set, through the help of the press spreading the republicans versions of these stories, set so regardless of how well or poorly Palin does, they can not lose.

The beginning of the end? From Politico

McCain pulling out of Michigan

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

McCain's campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already tattered GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

A McCain event planned for next week in Plymouth, Michiigan, has been canceled.

Not sure I'd call it the beginning of the end. Michigan is pretty reliably blue and it looked like he had a shot at making is close, but with polls the way they're going its probably more important to play defense on Florida and Ohio. If he loses either of those, he's pretty much toast.

FWIW, I don't see McCain losing OH. I'm just not feeling the vibe. I'm in Columbus, one of the areas Obama figures to be strongest in, but in my neighborhood, at least, McCain is clearly winning the yard-sign war. Don't know how good of an indicator that is, but most of the state is considerably more conservative than this, so take that for what its worth.