The like, newest new election thread

then there's the Bradley/Wilder effect (if it still exists).

I'm sure it does exist to some small degree, but not enough to cost him this election. Most people would not waste time lying about who they will vote for out of fear of looking like a racist. I could see it on a local level, but not so much on a national. True racist a-holes seem to have no problem saying they woun't vote for a black man.

I actually think some republicans are afraid to admit they wil vote Obama. The Palin effect. I know a few that have begun to change their mind but just can't say it out loud yet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just my opinion; much like the ones everyone else has here, except mine isn't of the popular sort. This election has been off the rails for months and has been one distraction after another. Despite the best of debates set forth on this forum, I'm afraid this will fall to being a popularity contest for most Americans. I just think that when it comes to pulling the lever the McCain/Palin ticket will, at the end of the day, snag more of the type of voters who aren't exactly passionate about finding out every aspect of the candidates and are sold on a couple of sound bites or talking points. Change sounds good but for the majority of the population change is scarier than anything really. You know comfort zones and all that.

I don't think people really appreciate this possibility or give it nearly enough credence.

So you all keep musing over how stupid Palin is or how McCain is going to die in office and I'll watch as the Republicans present another hack for President and watch him win.

Unless of course change means being rescued from the interior of a burning skyscraper.

With that said, I think there is a lot of truth in what you

Well, Obama is leading in the favorable/unfavorable ratings even more than he is in the polls. So if it's a popularity contest, then he should do well. I don't really see anything as inevitable in this election. It's still quite close, based on historical standards, and then there's the Bradley/Wilder effect (if it still exists).

Just my opinion. We'll see on the first Wednesday in November won't we.

It's safe to say we were all witness to Bush "winning" 8 years, anythings possible. I'm more than aware of the ucertainty. Good to see your so comfortable with another 4-8 years of total crap.And, this election has been off the rails for months because of the ridiculous words and actions from McCain/Palin. Obama & Biden have stuck to the issues that matter, while M/P have tossed out lie after lie with crazy desperate behavior. I watch them all on the campaign trail, Obama has continued the same great character he has always had. M/P say whatever they want wheter it's true, makes sense, or matters.Their only game is smearing O.

And who's being discussed more? I've yet to see any in-depth discussion of the great changes/ideas the Obama/Biden ticket are offering. The focus for the last weeks is on everything but these ideas, i.e. old, dying candidates, moronic VP choices, bad interviews, etc.

Have you ever heard the saying "bad publicity is better than no publicity"?

Edit: Nice jab you slipped in there btw.

there is a lot of truth to that, and it's one reason why, no matter how the polls move and the debates go, i will basically be a nervous wreck right up to the election.

Yep. No matter how far the polls go in O's favor, he needs them to go farther. I predict a lot of election-day cold feet. I could be wrong about that, but that's just my gut feeling.

Also, the fact that the tone of this campaign has been getting nastier by the day is no accident and plays better on the GOP side. What's the best way to counter against the kind of "optimistic" campaign Obama has been trying to run--you know, "Change!" and "Hope!" and "Yes We Can!" and all that? You drag the campaign through the mud, make it ugly, make it politics as usual, and do your best to turn as many people off as possible. Plenty of people I know are lately kind of throwing up their hands and going "Meh, I don't really want to vote for anybody anymore." Again, points for McCain.

Just my opinion. We'll see on the first Wednesday in November won't we.

And who's being discussed more? I've yet to see any in-depth discussion of the great changes/ideas the Obama/Biden ticket are offering. The focus for the last weeks is on everything but these ideas, i.e. old, dying candidates, moronic VP choices, bad interviews, etc.

Have you ever heard the saying "bad publicity is better than no publicity"?

I think little has been discussed about O/B lately because we have discussed it to death since Hillary was around. That, and they have proven who they are. Palin is new, as is McCain's desperate and comical behavior.

I doubt Palin's bad publicity is good for anything. The only place I think you can see it spinned to something sweet is on Fox News tv/radio. And, with the stress of this election, most of enjoy laughing @ SNL and Palin's real life. McCain is equally a joke that's fun to play with.

Show me this fabulous discussion you have concerning why your voting for M/P.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14170.html

By "in the past" does he mean "in the last 4 weeks"? Christ, that's just about the dumbest thing I've heard yet - kinda like "I didn't inhale".

Yep. No matter how far the polls go in O's favor, he needs them to go farther. I predict a lot of election-day cold feet. I could be wrong about that, but that's just my gut feeling.

That's my fear as well.

Did anyone catch Obama this morning on Mike and Mike (ESPN, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about)? I thought he came across as genuine and down to earth. I enjoyed it, but of course I love Mike and Mike.

I'm always fired up over Presidential elections, but I'm seeing alot of folks who usually are not showing great interest in this one.

New article in Rolling Stone on McCain. "Make-Believe Maverick: A closer look at the life and career of John McCain reveals a disturbing record of recklessness and dishonesty"

At Fort McNair, an army base located along the Potomac River in the nation's capital, a chance reunion takes place one day between two former POWs. It's the spring of 1974, and Navy commander John Sidney McCain III has returned home from the experience in Hanoi that, according to legend, transformed him from a callow and reckless youth into a serious man of patriotism and purpose. Walking along the grounds at Fort McNair, McCain runs into John Dramesi, an Air Force lieutenant colonel who was also imprisoned and tortured in Vietnam.

McCain is studying at the National War College, a prestigious graduate program he had to pull strings with the Secretary of the Navy to get into. Dramesi is enrolled, on his own merit, at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in the building next door.

There's a distance between the two men that belies their shared experience in North Vietnam

I think little has been discussed about O/B lately because we have discussed it to death since Hillary was around. That, and they have proven who they are. Palin is new, as is McCain's desperate and comical behavior.

I doubt Palin's bad publicity is good for anything. The only place I think you can see it spinned to something sweet is on Fox News tv/radio. And, with the stress of this election, most of enjoy laughing @ SNL and Palin's real life. McCain is equally a joke that's fun to play with.

Show me this fabulous discussion you have concerning why your voting for M/P.

If you don't want to take the time to comprehend posts and just want to continue posting your opinions, don't bother quoting.

"Legal process alone will not lead you to a rule of decision," Obama declared during debate over the Roberts nomination. "In those difficult cases, the critical ingredient is supplied by what is in the judge's heart."

This is probably the worst thing I have heard Obama say, and is the main reason I'm voting against him (although, there are plenty of others).

If you don't want to take the time to comprehend posts and just want to continue posting your opinions, don't bother quoting.

This is probably the worst thing I have heard Obama say, and is the main reason I'm voting against him (although, there are plenty of others).

And how is that different than any other justification for or against the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice? Neither party wants a truly unbiased judge on the bench

That was quite Palin-esque of you.

I'm done with your shrill posts. (not you J.nick)

That was quite Palin-esque of you.

I'm done with your shrill posts. (not you J.nick)

I know you are, but what am I? :heehee

And how is that different than any other justification for or against the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice? Neither party wants a truly unbiased judge on the bench – liberals hope liberal judges will vote with their liberal heart, and conservatives hope their nominee will do likewise – to suggest otherwise just strikes me as na
i hope a judge will come to a decision based on what the law actually says, regardless of what is in their heart. i know, neon, i'm naive or disingenuous. save your keystrokes.

Don

i hope a judge will come to a decision based on what the law actually says, regardless of what is in their heart.

I work with law (tax law) all the time and judges do come to decisions based on what the law says. The problem is the interpretation of what the law says (including true intent of the law etc

i'd imagine that's a big reason why you don't like Palin then as well?

well, i would prefer that if the government determines they've taken too much tax from someone, that someone should get it back. but, the biggest reason i don't like palin is that she's dumb.