The like, newest new election thread

But the quote is what you say today while a week ago it was the ability to appoint SC justices. Funny your top two reasons are also reasons I can't vote for the current republican ticket.

Huh? The main reason is his view on the responsibility of justices and who he would nominate based on that view. They go hand in hand. It's not the quote by itself.

I know the main goal of these discussions is to lie in wait, looking for contradictions or "gotcha!" moments, but I'm not sure how you fail to see the correlation here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading all these pre-debate articles and getting pretty ill over all the hand-wringing over how Biden approaches Palin in order not to appear like he's picking on the poor defenseless little woman. Please. I mean, I know, I know. Clearly we don't live in a perfect world where gender equality is yet a reality, but this whole "delicate flower" crap really is setting the cause of feminism back about 50 years.

thank you, this is right on. why don't more people say it? palin is not poor, not defenseless, not a "delicate flower." and even if she were, she would have to prove her intelligence and capability in the real world just like anyone else. opportunity is one thing, and no doubt still to be fought for on some (even many) fronts; but to use the feminism challenges of 50 (or less) years ago as some kind of fallback-finger-pointing position whenever a public woman either is or acts stupid or naive, yes, it sets back the causes of feminism and of the larger human condition.

Huh? The main reason is his view on the responsibility of justices and who he would nominate based on that view. They go hand in hand. It's not the quote by itself.

I know the main goal of these discussions is to lie in wait, looking for contradictions or "gotcha!" moments, but I'm not sure how you fail to see the correlation here.

Hmm I guess after eight years of parsing and denying things being said exactly as quoted I've just become conditioned to takign each sentence iindividually and as written.

Question: Has there ever actually been an 'October surprise'? I've been wondering this since the term always pops up around this time...(not in this thread necessarily, but I've heard it again this year)

Wikipedia has a bunch of examples, but this is the one that immediately came to mind:

1980 Carter vs. Reagan

Main article: October surprise conspiracy theory

The original Carter October Surprise was first written about in a Jack Anderson article in the Washington Post in the fall of 1980, in which he alleged that the Carter administration was preparing a massive military invasion of Iran for rescuing the hostages in order to help him get reelected. Subsequent allegations surfaced against Ronald Reagan alleging that his team had impeded the hostage release to negate the potential boost to the Carter campaign.[1]

During the Iran hostage crisis, the Republican challenger Ronald Reagan feared a last-minute deal to release the hostages, which might earn incumbent Jimmy Carter enough votes to win re-election.[2] As it happened, in the days prior to the election, press coverage was consumed with the Iranian government's decision--and Carter's simultaneous announcement--that the hostages would not be released until after the election.[2] In fact, the election coincidentally fell on the first anniversary of the 1979 hostage-taking, which may have contributed to Carter's loss to Ronald Reagan.

After the release of the hostages on the same day as Reagan's inauguration on January 20, 1981, some charged that the Reagan campaign made a secret deal with the Iranian government whereby the Iranians would hold the hostages until Reagan was inaugurated, ensuring that Carter would lose the election.[2] Two separate congressional investigations as well as several investigative journalists looked into the charges, both concluding that there was no plan to seek to delay the hostages' release.[2] At least three books, all titled October Surprise, have argued the case for the alleged conspiracy.[3]

Wikipedia has a bunch of examples, but this is the one that immediately came to mind:

oh yah, that one leaps to mind immediately. i believe to this day that people who fell for that scenario and its timing would probably fall for anything that supported what they already had bought. it's a magnificent example of political manipulation and gain at its "best." ugh.

Not sure I'd call it the beginning of the end. Michigan is pretty reliably blue and it looked like he had a shot at making is close, but with polls the way they're going its probably more important to play defense on Florida and Ohio. If he loses either of those, he's pretty much toast.

FWIW, I don't see McCain losing OH. I'm just not feeling the vibe. I'm in Columbus, one of the areas Obama figures to be strongest in, but in my neighborhood, at least, McCain is clearly winning the yard-sign war. Don't know how good of an indicator that is, but most of the state is considerably more conservative than this, so take that for what its worth.

Many people have been complaining about not being able to get yard signs.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/09/bre...organizers.html

The campaign is trying to spend the money on more effective means of garnering support.

oh yah, that one leaps to mind immediately. i believe to this day that people who fell for that scenario and its timing would probably fall for anything that supported what they already had bought. it's a magnificent example of political manipulation and gain at its "best." ugh.

I know what you mean, when you toss in Iran Contra it's amazing that people would fall for that sort of thing where the Regan adminsitration might negotiate with unsavory characters.

I know what you mean, when you toss in Iran Contra it's amazing that people would fall for that sort of thing where the Regan adminsitration might negotiate with unsavory characters.

exactly. although it happened several years later, iran-contra, which was far more serious than nixon's watergate and yet punished far less, ultimately made every political maneuver by the reagan administration suspect, certainly including its grand entrance into office on the faux mid-east "failures" of carter. ugh again.

This is perhaps my largest reason for voting against the Republicans in 2006 and again this November. One of my "macro" issues is the restoration of the Constitution and the checks-and-balances system. I'm baffled by how so few self-described conservatives are outraged by this Administration's abuses; shouldn't "conservatives" be interested in conserving the Constitution?

Not too sure about that, though. I think most conservatives are outraged by Bush tearing down the constitution, overspending, and nation building. His approval ratings are so low precisely because he has upset folks on both sides of the aisle. :)

The fascinating thing about all of this (to me) is how astutely the party has essentially washed it's hands of the Bush Administration. It's almost as if Bush has been orphaned, and the Republican party gets a free pass because Bush betrayed so many of the core conservative principles. If you take a step back and think about it, it is mind boggling that Obama hasnt had a cake walk to the White House. The party has suffered virtually no collateral damage from the Bush Administration (notwitstanding Obama's efforts to correctly point out that McCain voted with Bush over 90% of the time).

The campaign is trying to spend the money on more effective means of garnering support.

Yeah, I know yard signs are a poor indicator of trends. I have yet to be swayed by one, so that's cool with me that they're keeping the focus on more important things. It was really just an observation--the McCain signs have been sprouting like weeds in recent weeks, although the state polls have been going the other way. Maybe that's why the big influx of McCain signs. Who knows?

speaking of the VP Debate...

palin_crypt.jpg

Sarah Palin vs. E.C. Comics

funny stuff for comic book lovers and sarah pallin dislikers like me.

and to get even more pop-todd on your asses, i also have a copy of the Roger Hallmark and The Thrasher Brothers 1979 gem 'A Message to Khomeini' up for your listening pleasure, as a tie-in to a post about sarah becoming 'joe six-pack american'.

This just in . . .

McCain pulling out of Michigan

Jonathan Martin

55 minutes ago

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

McCain's campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

A McCain event planned for next week in Plymouth, Michiigan, has been canceled.

Question: Has there ever actually been an 'October surprise'? I've been wondering this since the term always pops up around this time...(not in this thread necessarily, but I've heard it again this year)

Reggie Jackson

well. jeez. they've done well enough so far that i guess they know what they're doing on this front. but i see few stickers, few yard signs, which is too bad. and maybe it doesn't matter here, maybe they've already figured that out. but it's annoying.

if it's best in the long run, for the election, hell i'm making my own yard signs. this weekend. i'll gladly spend that dollar or whatever plus a few minutes to make my yard signs, if it helps the campaign reach undecideds. the sticker (which i had made online) is already on the car, so i say let's get moving, don't wait for the obama campaign to send stuff for the already convinced-in-obama's-possibilities.

is anyone wearing their pin? whether it's pro-obama or anti-mccain. it's amazing how much what seems so little can matter.

Yeah, I know yard signs are a poor indicator of trends. I have yet to be swayed by one, so that's cool with me that they're keeping the focus on more important things. It was really just an observation--the McCain signs have been sprouting like weeds in recent weeks, although the state polls have been going the other way. Maybe that's why the big influx of McCain signs. Who knows?

I haven't seen any McCain or Obama signs around here. Saw alot of Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Hillary signs during the primaries though.

I haven't seen any McCain or Obama signs around here. Saw alot of Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Hillary signs during the primaries though.

I have noticed a lack of political signs where I live as well. There are a few but nothing like the last election. Seems that now would be the time that we would see these. I generally make my decision solely based on who my idiotic neighbors are voting for.

I generally make my decision solely based on who my idiotic neighbors are voting for.

:lol I have seen yard signs instigate fights among people who are otherwise friends, but I'm really not sure anyone drives down the road and says to himself "Hey, you know that cheap plastic sign over there looks pretty persuasive..."

I have noticed a lack of political signs where I live as well. There are a few but nothing like the last election. Seems that now would be the time that we would see these. I generally make my decision solely based on who my idiotic neighbors are voting for.

I, for one, am hoping that those stupid W stickers will magically disappear from people's car windows after November 4.